Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one I think Kenwright would be against. The Mayor of Liverpool with his calls to investigate the transfer for fraud etc got his information from somewhere.

If we sign Barkley, for me it'll reaffirm concerns I had over the recruitment nous/ability of the club under Thelwell and Lampard.

It feels like the scope is very limited. Wolves or Chelsea connection, or former club connection (even McNeil was a target under previous DOF/Managers).
I think a big part of our unimaginative scouting so far comes down to the importance Lampard and Thelwell ("no dickheads") put on character and attitude: with funds tight we are not wanting to take any risks on anyone we don't know and risk bringing in a bad egg. Hence each player needs a "character reference" of sorts: Tarks obviously very well known and respected in the game so maybe the exception, but Vinagre known to Thelwell, McNeill Tarkowski himself would vouch for (maybe not Cornet?), and hence links to multiple Wolves & Chelsea players.

That said, from what we think we know of Barkley and his attitude I'd be surprised if Lampard was dead keen on him, but maybe Lampard has seen a better attitude at close quarters.

I think a big part of our unimaginative scouting so far comes down to the importance Lampard and Thelwell ("no dickheads") put on character and attitude:

That said, from what we think we know of Barkley and his attitude I'd be surprised if Lampard was dead keen on him, but maybe Lampard has seen a better attitude at close quarters.

Those two points mate.

Lampard had a pop at his professionalism - perhaps as strong as you can do publicly, and then binned him off to Aston Villa;

Chelsea manager Frank Lampard has said injured midfielder Ross Barkley showed a lack of professionalism after a video emerged of him shirtless in a nightclub during the international break.

Tarkowski, McNeil I've said they're reliable in terms of appearances etc. Both really fit/barely miss a game.

I can see some logic there.

Barkley has started 56 times in 4-5 years.

In the bin with him.

Those two points mate.

Lampard had a pop at his professionalism - perhaps as strong as you can do publicly, and then binned him off to Aston Villa;

Tarkowski, McNeil I've said they're reliable in terms of appearances etc. Both really fit/barely miss a game.

I can see some logic there.

Barkley has started 56 times in 4-5 years.

In the bin with him.
Yeah, this is why the fact it sounds like he's a shoe-in to join baffles me. I doubt Moshiri or Kenright are pushing to have him back, Lampard is big on character and showed no signs of being enamoured with him at Chelsea, Thelwell I can't see having the clout to push through a signing against the wishes of Lampard and the board. Who is pushing for it?

Maybe Lampard has heard from Chelsea contacts that he's knuckled down and turned over a new leaf but take that with a pinch of salt surely.

Building a squad here that actually has a chance of not being in a relegation fight, be quite nice compared to last year's stress lol

Status
Not open for further replies.