Everton playing 3 at the back

How many times will Koeman play 3 (or 5 if you include wing backs) at the back vs. Top 4 sides?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The key to 3 at the back is having two wingbacks who will run and run and run, and actually offer as a winger up top. Neither Holgate or Baines can do that, hence all our play has to go central. We had absolutely no outball today and taht again was because if we cleared to the flanks, we had no one,m and if we cleared centrally it was too easy for them to mop it up.

The issue today was no striker and no attacking width. The latter could follow from a striker who runs the channels well or who holds the ball up well. It was a surprise that Koeman stuck with it for so long today but only because of the options he had. It worked better with DCL and actually Lennon to some extent.

Three at the back is perfectly fine theoretically but we don't have the squad currenty to play it two times out of three in a single week. However, it should be noticed that our fixture list has been a bit anomalous in that we've played two of the hardest games we'll play all yelar in very quick succession, with a trip to Croatia of all places to spice things up over a monstrous six day period.

Three at the back also doesn't work when there's only one real forward with everyone else running from deep, as both Willian and Fabregas did to immense effect today. Three at the back will work far better against United who play further up the pitch, and dare I say it, I think it will work well to nullify the kopites if we go one up at their place. Big if that like, and I'm looking forward to the inevitable vaulting

Our 3 at the back becomes a 5 because neither full back moves past the half way line, added to that we use 2 defensive midfielders which means we camp out in our own half all game with no pace up front to counter with and no height or ball retention to go long

Awful awful system with the players we have

3 at the back would have been ok with Holgate at RCB and Kenny at RWB. Holgate is never a RWB and Jagielka and Williams in same team is recipe for problems as they are both too slow. The sooner we get someone in that stops these having to play together the better.

We don't have the pace energy and know how to play with 3 cb baresi ac Milan we are not.can someone please tell me a game we have won with a back 3 from start to finish.

I love the 3 at the back system. I think it is the way to go. We just need the players to be able to play it.
I have always said there are 3 types of manager,
(I) one who has a system which he sticks to religiously;
(Ii) one who likes a type of player and brings them wherever he goes; and
(III) one who can look at the strengths of a group of players and come up with a system of play that suits them.

The 3rd one is a rare beast, mainly we get one of the first two. Koeman appears to be a system man, nothing wrong with that provided he can get the players he needs to work his system.

If we get a centre forward and a centre half this week we will be fine, if not we will fall short of what we expected.

I would prefer we waited to get the centre half we need rather than waste money on a stop gap, but I think we need a centre forward and even a stop gap would be better than what we have.

The 3 at the back anti football with wing backs that aren't fast enough to be wingbacks is truly a tactical masterclass, born from the depths of mount doom and fashioned to bore and confuse everyone into a state of total insanity.

So if we play 3 at the back, we only need two more decent players to go with the one decent one we have.
You need quality wing backs if you are going to compete with the top teams.
Ok, so two wing backs needed then.
You need a forward to score 20+ goals for when you eventually get the ball up the pitch.

Only 5 more players needed then?

Status
Not open for further replies.