Everton players on loan 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Championship
Wigan Athletic - Antonee Robinson and Callum Connolly, who was booked, played full match in 2-3 away defeat at Aston Villa.

OS Match Report
"The hosts got the lead against the run of play, though, and the free-kick from which Steve Bruce’s side scored was debatable as Connolly was adjudged to have fouled Jack Grealish. The ball into the box caused indecision from Latics and Villa captain Chester headed in for 1-0. "
"Cook’s side continued to push for an equaliser and good play from Robinson down the left forced a corner which led to two Latics chances. "
"However, seconds later, Latics were ahead as a sensational ball from Powell was headed home by Connolly on his second debut for the club. "

Callum Connolly post-match interview:

Callum Connolly spoke to iFollow Latics after defeat to Aston Villa on Saturday afternoon.
CC on scoring heading goals on his debut:
It was a big plus getting the goal but just devastating to lose at the end.
CC on disappointment:
Everyone’s heartbroken in the changing rooms. We knew it was going to be tough going into the game but I thought throughout the game we did very well, in particular second half. We got on the ball and dominated but football’s cruel at times and we just got punished at the end.
CC on positional changes:
Obviously I started in midfield and I enjoyed that. It may take some time to adapt to the position the manager wants me to play, different style, different club so I’m looking forward to that challenge ahead and hopefully I can keep getting games and improving.
CC on responding to falling behind
There’s a great squad here, with great characters in the team, no matter what the score is. Even if we’re one or two goals down we always have the belief to come back from any result. We just have to pick ourselves up now, dust ourselves our down and go again on Tuesday.
CC on attacking instincts:
In the first half and start of the second half I was in a fairly defensive position, so wasn’t getting forward, just sitting in front of the defence and screening. In the second half I had more freedom to get forward and luckily got on a cross and put it in.
CC on leading at Villa Park and positives:
I thought through the game we did well. We obviously stamped our authority on the game early doors and same in the second half and that’s only going to give us confidence going into the next few games and we’re just looking forward to the rest of the season now.
CC on emotions on scoring:
It was a great feeling. I remember it last time, at Burton two years ago now, it was just a great feeling and hopefully I can have many more of them this year.

Twitter stuff
1' Wide! 20 seconds into the game @Antonee_Jedi heads down for @NPowell25 who takes a stride towards the edge of the area and hits a low shot wide of the left post! (0-0)
10' Great recovery run by @Antonee_Jedi to catch up with Ahmed Elmohamady as the Villa man darted towards the area on the right. Excellent from the full back (0-0)
23' Another chance for Latics to deliver from a set piece, McGinn caught @WillGrigg late after he'd released the ball to @Callum1connolly in the middle. Right side, @mjacobs18 to deliver. (1-0)
26' Great play! Connolly's ball flicked on by McManaman to Grigg who found Powell in the middle, @Antonee_Jedi on the overlap up the left side, low cross-shot drilled towards Jacobs at the near post, but Nyland held! (1-0)
28' @Antonee_Jedi never gives up! Pressing and challenging in the left corner, lost it once and won it back to earn a corner. (1-0)
55' GOAL!! @Callum1connolly with a superb run to meet @NPowell25's ridiculous delivery and he plants his header down past Nyland for 2-1!!
61' Latics brimming with confidence on the ball, @sammorsy08, @NPowell25 and @Antonee_Jedi have been superb in the last few minutes. Maximum effort on our first away day of the season (1-2)
85' Yellow! Jack Grealish goes into the book for a foul on Callum Connolly just inside Villa's half. (2-2)
90+3' Yellow! Callum Connolly booked for a late challenge on Alan Hutton. (2-2)

Not much in the way of fan comments yet.

Just seen highlights, Robinson is RAPID. Watching Baines today, I feel he should have been kept as a back up.
No better to get him playing regular games. Young players have got to play regular first team football between ages of 18-22 if they want to develop their full potential. Robinson and Connolly have also gone to a great manager, Paul Cook, who'll look after them and help both develop. Here's Seamus Coleman on Cook when he was the manager of Sligo Rovers: "Paul Cook came in, and he made me feel like I was the best player in the League. It just makes such a difference when you have a manager who believes in you." Here's a quote from Keith O'Dwyer who worked at Sligo at the time "The culture that Paul Cook fostered at The Showgrounds was, if Seamus made a mistake, he wasn’t going to be lambasted or castigated. It happens, let’s get on, and you run on and bomb down the wing again." Think this will be a great move for both of them and hopefully next season they can come back in and challenge for a first team place.

I remember him getting two headed goals on his last debut for Wigan about 18 months ago. For a mainly defender Connolly has a great ability to find space in the box for goalscoring headers , think he was right back last time.

It appears to me Connolly's future is in midfield. McCarthy moving MF turned out very well for the lad last year. He's definitely got an eye for goal too.

It appears to me Connolly's future is in midfield. McCarthy moving MF turned out very well for the lad last year. He's definitely got an eye for goal too.
I watched the highlights and it was a typical Connolly goal, arriving in the space between two defenders and directing his header down into the net.
It may be harsh but I thought Robinson could have done better for Grealish’s extra time winner for Villa. He took a step forward as the ball was about to be swung in , as a result when he turned he was half a pace away from Grealish when it was crossed to the back post and couldn’t cover him. He’s got the basics hopefully more games will give him the experience to become a first class defender.

Thoughts ?

https://threeamigoswigan.com/2018/08/13/a-bolton-wanderers-fans-view-of-antonee-robinson/

A BOLTON WANDERERS FAN’S VIEW OF ANTONEE ROBINSON

The 21 year-old Antonee Robinson joined Wigan Athletic on a year’s loan from Everton on the summer transfer deadline day. The 6 ft tall Robinson is 21 years old.

Born in Milton Keynes of an American father, Robinson joined Everton as an 11-year-old. He signed a professional contract for the Toffees when 17, after being awarded the Under 18s Player of the Season. Robinson missed much of the 2015-16 season because of a cartilage injury. Despite his injury he was offered a new one-year contract and went on to play three EFL Trophy games for the U23 side in 2016-17.

In August 2017 Robinson joined Bolton Wanderers on loan. He went on to make 30 appearances over the course of the season.
After playing for the US under 18 team he went on to make his full international debut in May 2018 against Bolivia.

In order to learn more about Robinson’s time at Bolton we contacted Chris Mann of the Burnden Aces fan site http://www.burndenaces.co.uk(@BurndenAces ).

Here’s over to Chris:

Following Andrew Taylor’s performances during our League One promotion season of 2016/17, Antonee Robinson arrived at Bolton as somewhat of a low-key signing and one many expected to provide nothing more than backup.

A couple of Carabao Cup ties aside, Robinson had to wait for an opportunity with Wanderers but was thrust in earlier than anticipated when Taylor picked up an early-season injury.

It would be a baptism of fire for Robinson, who was torn apart by Adama Traore on his first league start on an afternoon where we were comfortably beaten 3-0 by Middlesbrough at Macron Stadium.
Many young players would have crumbled there and then but Phil Parkinson showed a huge amount of faith in Robinson, even as the club embarked on a run of eight successive defeats without scoring a single goal.

As the season progressed, Bolton’s form improved and so did that of Robinson, who made the left-back position his own for the majority of the campaign and earned a first international call-up to the United States squad.

The Everton loanee has undoubted potential, with his pace and ability to burst forward once making him a fans’ favourite in these parts, but his defensive capability needs some serious work if he is ever to make the grade at Premier League level.

Robinson may have been handed a new three-year deal at Goodison Park, but I just don’t see him forcing a way through. The Toffees will cash in at some stage and a good season at Wigan will only increase his value. As is so often the case with loan deals though – as we have seen ourselves in this instance – just don’t expect any loyalty at the end of it.

Thoughts ?

https://threeamigoswigan.com/2018/08/13/a-bolton-wanderers-fans-view-of-antonee-robinson/

A BOLTON WANDERERS FAN’S VIEW OF ANTONEE ROBINSON

The 21 year-old Antonee Robinson joined Wigan Athletic on a year’s loan from Everton on the summer transfer deadline day. The 6 ft tall Robinson is 21 years old.

Born in Milton Keynes of an American father, Robinson joined Everton as an 11-year-old. He signed a professional contract for the Toffees when 17, after being awarded the Under 18s Player of the Season. Robinson missed much of the 2015-16 season because of a cartilage injury. Despite his injury he was offered a new one-year contract and went on to play three EFL Trophy games for the U23 side in 2016-17.

In August 2017 Robinson joined Bolton Wanderers on loan. He went on to make 30 appearances over the course of the season.
After playing for the US under 18 team he went on to make his full international debut in May 2018 against Bolivia.

In order to learn more about Robinson’s time at Bolton we contacted Chris Mann of the Burnden Aces fan site http://www.burndenaces.co.uk(@BurndenAces ).

Here’s over to Chris:

Following Andrew Taylor’s performances during our League One promotion season of 2016/17, Antonee Robinson arrived at Bolton as somewhat of a low-key signing and one many expected to provide nothing more than backup.

A couple of Carabao Cup ties aside, Robinson had to wait for an opportunity with Wanderers but was thrust in earlier than anticipated when Taylor picked up an early-season injury.

It would be a baptism of fire for Robinson, who was torn apart by Adama Traore on his first league start on an afternoon where we were comfortably beaten 3-0 by Middlesbrough at Macron Stadium.
Many young players would have crumbled there and then but Phil Parkinson showed a huge amount of faith in Robinson, even as the club embarked on a run of eight successive defeats without scoring a single goal.

As the season progressed, Bolton’s form improved and so did that of Robinson, who made the left-back position his own for the majority of the campaign and earned a first international call-up to the United States squad.

The Everton loanee has undoubted potential, with his pace and ability to burst forward once making him a fans’ favourite in these parts, but his defensive capability needs some serious work if he is ever to make the grade at Premier League level.

Robinson may have been handed a new three-year deal at Goodison Park, but I just don’t see him forcing a way through. The Toffees will cash in at some stage and a good season at Wigan will only increase his value. As is so often the case with loan deals though – as we have seen ourselves in this instance – just don’t expect any loyalty at the end of it.

Reads like hes quite bitter, absolutely no reason why he's defending won't improve to an acceptable level

Connolly playing for Wigan, but Robinson not in squad. Connolly just gave away free kick that Rotherham scored from to go 1-0 up.

Carabao Cup
Wigan Athletic - Callum Connolly started and was substituted in the 90th minute of a 1-3 away defeat at Rotherham

OS Match Report
"Latics kept going and Connolly saw a shot from range well-saved by Price before Latics did get one back through Vaughan, who headed in a Roberts delivery. "

Twitter stuff
71' CHANCE! Albeit from distance, but it's a heck of a hit by @Callum1connolly! Price forced to tip the ball behind. (3-0)
89' SUB: Final change for Latics and it's 16-year-old Jensen Weir on in place of Callum Connolly (3-1)

No particular fan comments about his performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.