Everton home grown players (Moyes vs other managers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My conclusion is that it is much harder to ease youth team players into the first team squad when you are battling for European places rather than when you are mid-table and dropped points don't matter as much.

Yet last year when we had little chance of Europe in the league and were still in the FA cup even then people said we couldn't risk a young player because they might make a mistake and cost us a point and in our financial position every league place counts. Which is the same financial position which means its more important for us to produce first team players through our academy than it is most other clubs.

We don't have cash to spend, so a constant stream of first team players from the youth ranks would improve the first XI, it'd add depth to the squad, and it'd also give us some income from any we sold on. I mean at United even relatively average players like Richardson earnt the club a good few million in transfer fees.

As Bruce states. I'm not really interested in what other managers did in other eras or what other managers are doing at other clubs. Its so very very important for us right now that young players make that step up from reserves to first team. But in recent years its really not happening.

Why has been debated on here numerous times but the fact is we're just not doing as well as we need to because our squad is still too damn small and it hurts us.

And also: "Everton are the club that give youth a chance".

Nope, in the vast majority of cases young players get let go without getting a proper chance.

We've got the best record in the country for producing young players who stay in the professional game.

We've got a good lot coming through as well.

James Vaughsn should have played many more games. Dan Gosling screwed us over but then was quite average and always injured and wasnt, I suppose, a 'proper' youth teamer. Letting Ruddy, Baxter and Wallace go all mistakes. I believe Baines, Jagielka, Michael Johnson among others all let go from our academy.

I know, let's replace Baines with Luke Garbutt on Monday then. Or maybe swerve Fellaini off for John Lundstram.

How about no, but maybe do that when one of them is injured. Or maybe when we're winning by 2 or 3 goals. Or maybe when we're resting players.

Or just not at all.

You guys realise there's a huge gap between Rooney and gash/not good enough don't you?

If Everton were the club who gave youth a chance we'd you know, actually do that. Before half our squad are out injured and there's literally no one left but youngsters with no first team experience whatsoever because the manager was too cautious in giving them a chance.

How about no, but maybe do that when one of them is injured. Or maybe when we're winning by 2 or 3 goals. Or maybe when we're resting players.

Or just not at all.

You guys realise there's a huge gap between Rooney and gash/not good enough don't you?

If Everton were the club who gave youth a chance we'd you know, actually do that. Before half our squad are out injured and there's literally no one left but youngsters with no first team experience whatsoever because the manager was too cautious in giving them a chance.

I agree he's too cautious to give Barkley and maybe Vellios a chance, but the truth is that 99% of young players who get released just aren't good enough.

If releasing players 'without giving them a chance' was such an issue then Baxter and Wallace wouldn't be in League 1 and JP Kissock wouldn't be at non league Macclesfield.

I see Villa have adopted a kind of 'giving youth a chance' policy. Not doing them much good.

I agree he's too cautious to give Barkley and maybe Vellios a chance, but the truth is that 99% of young players who get released just aren't good enough.

If releasing players 'without giving them a chance' was such an issue then Baxter and Wallace wouldn't be in League 1 and JP Kissock wouldn't be at non league Macclesfield.

I see Villa have adopted a kind of 'giving youth a chance' policy. Not doing them much good.

Villa haven't done that. They sold all they're good players and are having to play whats left. Completly different to us having a rep for giving young players a chance but us not actually doing that because they're all not good enough, whilst ignoring the fact that no young player is ever instantly good enough, they need to be slowly nurtured into a Prem league player and a huge step in doing that is by playing them in the Premier league, soemthing which people who claim they're not good enough seem to forget.

Leighton Baines wouldn't be one of the best left backs in the world if he sat on our bench, went to Sunderland and told not to cross the half way line. At which point people would say "see, told you he wasn't good enough for Everton".

The real good players will play, the real gash ones will leave. Its the ones in the middle who need to be bought through correctly and them turned from promising players into actual first team squad players. Young players don't just turn up and become instantly good enough.

Where would Hibbert and Anichebe be if they'd got let go as young players before making a start for us, snapped up by a League 1 team but then playing with League 1 players and coached by League 1 coaches? They got the chance and became useful squad players for us despite being kinda gash.

I'm of two minds on this. I would prefer to see the youngsters play more theoretically. In a perfect world I'd really like an Everton team that is 40-50% homegrown, local lads...in a perfect world. But let's look at it. Our current squad consists of the likes of Osman, Hibbert, Baines, Jagielka, Anichebe, McAleny - all local boys who got their start with Everton. Baines and Jags left and came back. Add in Duffy who joined the academy is now in the squad, if not the team, and Barkley who is on loan now. That's a good amount compared to everyone else. Then I look at the ones we've let go. Rooney doesn't count obviously because it wasn't really a choice. We got 2 back (Jags and Baines). The rest haven't really made us look foolish have they (yet)?

I think our record is pretty good. And the fact is if we had no ambition, we could adopt a total youth policy and risk relegation, but potentially be rewarded with a squad full of homegrown talent that has been blooded here, and some of them could turn out to be real players with the experience.

But I think we're getting it right. The ones will real talent DO play. Barkely is a frustration, but there's obviously something else going on there. If he was as good as Lampard or Gerrard right now, he'd be playing. Moyes is not an idiot, despite what some think.

Loving Deaths new reply.

He realises that all the players are gash and is now saying that if they stayed at Everton they wouldnt be AS tosh.

Sometimes a turd is just a turd.

Status
Not open for further replies.