Everton Academy - Supporting the Football League;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karl Sheppard

Returned to Ireland in 2010 after failing to break into the first team.sqaud and had a very successful time with a number of clubs including a title winning Cork City. Played a handful of ganes for Reading and Accrington between stints at Irish clubs.

...I was thinking about including the Irish lads. Indeed, I think we should. A friend of mine housed many Irish Everton players, including Richard Dunn so I met many of them over the years. Dean Delaney was the Youth Cup winning keeper and I think he had a long career in the Irish league.

Lots of good young footballers, I’m just trying to think of names.

...I was thinking about including the Irish lads. Indeed, I think we should. A friend of mine housed many Irish Everton players, including Richard Dunn so I met many of them over the years. Dean Delaney was the Youth Cup winning keeper and I think he had a long career in the Irish league.

Lots of good young footballers, I’m just trying to think of names.
In recent years we’ve had Sam Byrne who came to us from United , suffered a few injuries from memory, but last I heard he was doing ok in the Irish League. Then there was Shayne Lavery from Northern Ireland , made it at u21 level With N Ireland and is at Linfield now.

In recent years we’ve had Sam Byrne who came to us from United , suffered a few injuries from memory, but last I heard he was doing ok in the Irish League. Then there was Shayne Lavery from Northern Ireland , made it at u21 level With N Ireland and is at Linfield now.

....I think we should certainly include Lavery, only just starting his league career but certainly an Everton Academy product who didn’t make the first team here. Good shout.

I’ll make time and do a summary list later.

Peter Clarke played for a load of teams and was playing in Australia for a bit

...fabulous career in the game and still doing his bit. I remember him playing against Ronaldo for England U21s at Goodison, he’s been a terrific professional.

Clarke wouldn’t qualify for this thread because he played for our first team, but he was captured in the sister thread about which Liverpool districts our local players came from.

Going back into the mists of time we had a decent keeper called Ken Mulhearn who went on to play for Manchester City, Stockport and Shrewsbury.

Chris Priest is one I remember looking promising but drifted away...Chester and Macclesfield I think.

...good shout, Mick. I liked him too, reminded me a bit of young Steve McMahon.

Edit - Wiko reckons he scored the final Football League game of the 20th Century when playing for Macclesfield.

Last edited:
Martin Murray was one of the young Irish lads, he was the “ boy wonder” who never made it at Everton, don’t know what happened to him after he left Everton.

....I’m sure there’s plenty more than the following, but I think we can safely say our Academy supports the the game at all levels;

John Doolan (left Everton ‘94): Mansfield, Barnet, Doncaster, Rochdale, Bolton.

Steven Schumacher (‘04): Bradford, Crewe, Bury, Fleetwood, Stevenage.

Carl Regan (‘00): Barnsley, Hull, Bury, Notts C, Shrewsbury.

Hope Akpan (‘11): Reading, Blackburn, Bradford, Burton (Nigeria 4 caps).

Liam Walsh (‘18): Bristol C, Coventry.

Antonee Robinson (’19): Wigan (USA 7 caps).

John Lundstram (‘15): Sheffield Utd, Oxford.

David Esser (‘77): Rochdale, APOEL.

Ryan Ledson (‘16): Oxford Utd, Preston.

Aristote Nsaila (‘12): Accrington, Grimsby, Hartlepool, Shrewsbury, Bolton, Ipswich.

Jamie Jones (‘08): Preston, Stevenage, Wigan.

Adam Davies (‘12): Barnsley, Stoke (1 Wales cap).

Danny Fox (‘04): Coventry, Celtic, Walsall, Southampton (4 Scotland caps).

Jordan Thorniley (‘15): Sheffield Wed, Blackpool.

Chris Long (‘13): Burnley, Blackpool, Fleetwood, Motherwell.

Lee Molyneux (‘06): Plymouth, Accrington, Crewe, Rochdale, Tranmere, Morecambe.

James Wallace (‘09): Tranmere, Sheffield Utd, Shrewsbury, Fleetwood.

Jake Bidwell (‘13): Brentford, QPR, Swansea.

Hallam Hope (‘15): Bury, Carlisle, Swindon.

Ray Deakin (‘81): Port Vale, Bolton, Burnley.

Mark Farrington (‘83): Brighton, Hereford, Norwich, Cardiff, Fortuna Sittard, Hertha Berlin, Feyenoord.

Calum McManaman (‘07): Wigan, West Brom, Sunderland, Luton.

Eunan O’Kane (‘09): Torquay, Bournemouth, Leeds, Luton. (7 caps Republic of Ireland).

Michael Symes (‘04): Bradford, Shrewsbury, Accrington, Bournemouth, Burton.

George Pilkington (‘03): Port Vale, Luton, Mansfield, Macclesfield.

Keith Southern (‘02): Blackpool, Huddersfield, Fleetwood.

Courtney Duffus (‘17): Oldham, Yeovil.

Karl Shepherd (‘10): Galway, Shamrock Rovers, Cork, Shelbourne (RoI).

Dean Delaney (‘00): Shelbourne, Waterford, Bohemians (RoI).

Steve Jennings (’98): Tranmere, Coventry, Motherwell, Port Vale.

Shayne Lavery (‘19): Linfield (NI), (2 caps, Northern Ireland).

Chris Priest (‘94): Chester, Macclesfield.

Ben Tollitt (‘13): Tranmere, Portsmouth, Macclesfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.