Europa League

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we finish 7th and qualify, the first match in qualification for the Group Stage would be 7/23.

Copa America groups end 7/1 so even if our South American players that go to that tournament go out they will not be available immediately. Euro groups end 6/24 so any players exiting at that point will make it back but most likely not be fit. Any who move on won't be available. Also it is very likely transfers will be held up by the tournaments meaning incomings will be minimal to that point.

All this to say that qualifying could end up being a real problem if we are sending Stek out in nets with a backline of backups and who knows what in midfield and up top. It adds 6 extra fixtures before anything really gets going to. It'll present a real challenge to the whole club.

I think we can beat Total Network Solutions FC with largely our second string out mate.

I'd rather we concentrated on building a team next season instead of playing in the Europa ague..
If thats the case we probably get europa league at end of next season lol,doubt we are getting top 4 just yet or any time soon but who knows, and we are closer to 5th now than usual so we may as well go for it now

We should strive to be in Europe year in year out, regardless.

It is extra revenue and more importantly an opportunity to win something.

Coming from the PL, we should have the resources to cope without excuse.

If we can't cope with it as regards league form, we might as well never bother at all.

Good. If Liverpool reserves can beat Shrewsbury, ours should be able to beat someone of Ruzomberok quality.

See Wolves for example. They played Crusaders (NIR) and Pyunik (Are) this season, meaning if we played the kids in those games, our first competitive game would be... 27th August, which is after the season has started.

Oh and after saturday, our next 4 matches are Arsenal Away, United Home, Chelsea Away, Liverpool Home. If we're still in the mix after that, then we can resurrect this thread.
Wolves played their best XI for the whole thing. I reckon we won't be able to. It isn't a good comparison because of that.

We also made very tough work of qualifying before, which people seem to forget.

[
To confuse matters, if a English team wins the champions league and a English team wins the Europe (we have 4 and 3 left in accordingly) then4th place in the Premier league becomes Europa League and 7th places misses out...……….. Ouch!!

Key part for all Evertonians......

Is that right?

I thought that was only if they hadn't already qualified for Europe? So hypothetically if Man Utd finish 7th, and win the EL, they'd just go into the CL, and their space would be vacated.

Really don't care about the runners up to the runners up league or tactically wanting a club I don't support to beat another club I don't support (unless it means the rs lose).

Get there* on your own merit or not at all.

*there being a proper european high stakes KNOCKOUT cup rather than the bore fest that sells to tv audiences.

Wolves played their best XI for the whole thing. I reckon we won't be able to. It isn't a good comparison because of that.

Sorry mate, you're chatting nonsense.
What Wolves do, is irrelevant to what we do. Wolves could have played their Under 16's and beaten Crusaders, they could have played kids against Pyunik, which is my point. We could play the likes of Bowler, Gibson, Feeney, Adeniran, Baningime, Gordon and Broadhead against someone like Crusaders and still be comfortable. The reality is we could probably spare Davies, Coleman/Kenny, Pennington if we really needed to, and thats 10 players. Play the proper team at home and send the kids to Siberia, like all the top sides do.

We made tough work out of qualifying because he had a stubborn ass manager in Koeman, who wanted to build a side of number 10's, didn't replace our goalscorer and signed Martina, Sandro and Martina to multi year deals. That's why. I definitely didn't forget.

I'm happy to dream about Europa cos the bar is so low this year. We have been so lucky that even though we were so crap, we are still only 4 points away from 5th place. Spurs and Man U are dangerous enough to win a few games, but if we just get 5 wins, 5 draws, 3 losses, that's the 20 points of the 22 you're talking about.
Some more guess work
Say we get wins against Palace, Southampton, Villa, Norwich and Bournemouth, sneak draws against Sheff Utd, Arsenal and maybe one of Leicester, Liverpool or Man U, then we also need to draw 2 out of Wolves, Spurs, Chelsea - it's really tough but we can do it! Sheff Utd, Arsenal, Man U and CHelsea are all beatable if we play well on our day, and you never know a Big Dunc team talk might do the business for a draw against the reds!

We can dream and if we are really going to make progress under Ancelotti, this is a massive achievement to get 20 points like this, but also something we should start to expect?

I fail to see the issue tho personally.

If we get knocked out by FC Poland in the qualifiers what harm does it do apart from make people fume?

Sorry mate, you're chatting nonsense.
What Wolves do, is irrelevant to what we do. Wolves could have played their Under 16's and beaten Crusaders, they could have played kids against Pyunik, which is my point. We could play the likes of Bowler, Gibson, Feeney, Adeniran, Baningime, Gordon and Broadhead against someone like Crusaders and still be comfortable. The reality is we could probably spare Davies, Coleman/Kenny, Pennington if we really needed to, and thats 10 players. Play the proper team at home and send the kids to Siberia, like all the top sides do.

We made tough work out of qualifying because he had a stubborn ass manager in Koeman, who wanted to build a side of number 10's, didn't replace our goalscorer and signed Martina, Sandro and Martina to multi year deals. That's why. I definitely didn't forget.
Martina and Sandro might be better players than Feeney and Broadhead. I just really disagree that our youth team could get us through easily. They might pull it off, but they struggle in the Johnstones Paint Trophy or whatever it is called now when they have to play adults.

I fail to see the issue tho personally.

If we get knocked out by FC Poland in the qualifiers what harm does it do apart from make people fume?
Well that's fair. I'm just pointing out that it is something to remember here. My reason's for not being arsed whether we get 7th go further.

Even if we won the Champions League in the next 5 years, it would get boring and become nostalgia after a while, so why not qualify for and win the Europa League in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.