Elm: is this lad taking the pee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think im right in saying that when we first showed an interest the price banded about was 3-5 million.
in the last week i have read figures of around 8-10 million will now be the fee.

tbh im hoping we did put in a bid and had it excepted weeks ago (otherwise its now double the money).

it would be a bit strange that his club let him visit us if a fee hand not already been agreed , dont you think ?

That's us all over thought mate. Its a given that a talented lad like him, rated highly, is going to attract interest.

The minute the interest got out, more clubs got involved, his price went up.

Instead of striking while the iron was hot...we just sit off.

I can't know for sure, but I actually think you're wrong, my impression of Elm is that he's a very down to earth kind of guy and wants to make a move to a club where he thinks he'll settle in, he said himself in an inteview that the biggest club or paycheck doesn't necessearily make the best choice for him. We'll see where he ends up, apparently the clubs he's visitng are AZ Alkmaar in the dutch league and Bayer Leverkusen in Germany.

Well I suppose that's fair enough. But it still seems bizarre that he needs to think about things for such a long time. I mean he's not a little kid is he? He's 21, so should be capable of reaching a decision after a couple of weeks or so.

Maybe there's more going on than we know. That's the only explanation as to why he's still "thinking" about things.

Well I suppose that's fair enough. But it still seems bizarre that he needs to think about things for such a long time. I mean he's not a little kid is he? He's 21, so should be capable of reaching a decision after a couple of weeks or so.

Maybe there's more going on than we know. That's the only explanation as to why he's still "thinking" about things.

What's he deciding though? Us? He popped over for a chat is all.

Do we have to wait for him to say "Yes I want to go to Everton" and THEN we make a bid? What about if he doesnt chose us, do we just give up? Shouldnt we do everything to get the player, make him feel that our club is the right one, make a bid to show we are actually interested and keep pursuing him?

I cant see him coming over to be fair.

What's he deciding though? Us? He popped over for a chat is all.

Do we have to wait for him to say "Yes I want to go to Everton" and THEN we make a bid? What about if he doesnt chose us, do we just give up? Shouldnt we do everything to get the player, make him feel that our club is the right one, make a bid to show we are actually interested and keep pursuing him?

I cant see him coming over to be fair.

Well surely we have made a bid, mate. Why else would he have taken the club tour? I'm confident that his club has accepted something, perhaps verbally. The alternative is that he turned up at GP and said "Hi, mit navn er Rasmus, hvad hedder du"? (that's danish actually).

Given that we won't sell players who sign for us, I wonder if alot of agents try to steer their clients away from us.

fair point, but i don't really care i don't want any of those pieces of human filth making money off our club, even if we do miss out on some players, despite complaints all summer for the last couple seasons we've made good signings and we'll make more.

Ok, so then why are we worrying about signing players if all we plan to do with them is bench them?

one word: europe

Well surely we have made a bid, mate. Why else would he have taken the club tour? I'm confident that his club has accepted something, perhaps verbally. The alternative is that he turned up at GP and said "Hi, mit navn er Rasmus, hvad hedder du"? (that's danish actually).

I dont think we have. He's popping all over Europe "checking out clubs"...have they all made bids?

I dont think we have. He's popping all over Europe "checking out clubs"...have they all made bids?

I guess so, otherwise it would all be a bit pointless. I would suggest that each of those clubs has shown a willingness to match a certain price.

I kind of like the kid's attitude on this.

He's a decent player, he's accepted that his future lies away from Sweden and his club have been understanding enough to grant him time away from football to decide where is future best lies.

From the bits of info and scurrilous rumour I've seen scattered about he's been off to visit 5 clubs around the continent; unfortunately we were seemedly first on the schedule - hence the 'delay'.

The positive side? Apparently his agent is making the right noises to get Everton interested; and you'd hope that by doing their homework Team Elm will see that perhaps Moyes is the right man to take this lad to the next level. He seems to fit the bill for DM; comfortable on the ball and an attacking midfielder - exactly the sort of player the boss likes to operate as his nominal wide midfielders.

If he deigns that Goodison is for him, then so be it; but I'll not hold anything against him if his has his head turned by some continental football. He's gone about things in the right manner - it's not always about the money!

I kind of like the kid's attitude on this.

He's a decent player, he's accepted that his future lies away from Sweden and his club have been understanding enough to grant him time away from football to decide where is future best lies.

From the bits of info and scurrilous rumour I've seen scattered about he's been off to visit 5 clubs around the continent; unfortunately we were seemedly first on the schedule - hence the 'delay'.

The positive side? Apparently his agent is making the right noises to get Everton interested; and you'd hope that by doing their homework Team Elm will see that perhaps Moyes is the right man to take this lad to the next level. He seems to fit the bill for DM; comfortable on the ball and an attacking midfielder - exactly the sort of player the boss likes to operate as his nominal wide midfielders.

If he deigns that Goodison is for him, then so be it; but I'll not hold anything against him if his has his head turned by some continental football. He's gone about things in the right manner - it's not always about the money!
Elm does this in a very good way to be honest. Sure I'd prefer it if we signed him weeks ago, but by checking out various clubs in different leagues and nations he's finding the place where he feels best at home at. And that is important... Kroldrup anyone?

If he come to the conclusion he wants to come here we will know that he thought us the best option, not just because "Keep your hands away, we saw him first". If he goes somewhere else, then I'm even happier we didn't sign him early since he probably would want to leave fairly soon since he wouldn't be perfectly happy here.

its on toffeeweb, that he is in talks with AZ Alkmaar. Though not fully commited to them yet (surprised? no!)

Im sorry but I cant believe anyone would choose the Dutch league over the premiership?!

Toffeeweb : In-Depth News : Everton agree loan deal for Banega

He apparently said he did not want to play in Holland. So this story is a surprise. The Dutch league is terrible, they are on a par with the Scottish league. The difference is that there is maybe 4 teams in Holland who can win anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.