2022/23 Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on your definition, something like 1 top flight goal? I would beg to differ
I'd argue playing in the championship is still making it, it's only 1 down or a promotion away from the big leagues. The championship is still a big league just not the elite. The money is getting high down there as well. I think he has made it, just not to elite level.

Potentially another one not managed correctly went to Scotland scored a few goals same in the championship should of stayed there would of been interesting to see how many goals he would of finished on then another loan this season coming top end of championship again or potentially a loan to Luton or a PSV might of showed us where he’s actually at hasn’t had a proper chance if we get £7m that’s not bad but bit annoying he didn’t get more minutes after that chelsea goal and we had to suffer seeing maupay come on.
I think he’s been managed better than most tbh. Think he’ll make a good championship forward. Possible he makes the step up but he’s too far away just now. It’s a good move for all parties

He always looks like he’s playing within himself to me, a couple more seasons experience playing in the championship and he might hopefully twig that his physique and size are excellent attributes as well. That part of his game has always baffled me as he has always been a big lad and yet at youth levels where others would of been considerably smaller than him he still didn’t focus on honing the crafts needed to be a target man. All the best to him if he’s going and I’m sure he’s going to score goals as that’s never been his problem. Lots of improvements he can make, just like any younger player, just not ready for the Premier league yet. Good luck Ellis

Isn't this on the Manager to sort out? Junior player making the odd start.

Not saying Simms is blameless but has he been coached correctly?
Yes and no. There is only so much a manger can do. I’m not convinced the manager can be blamed for this one. This has been a problem for him even in the championship. Some players the light just never comes on

The problem with him he seems like a really nice lad ,[and really nice lads dont worry centre half's] he will have to get more aggressive to make it.

The problem with him he seems like a really nice lad ,[and really nice lads dont worry centre half's] he will have to get more aggressive to make it.
He's already made it, he's a full time professional footballer probably in the championship, mad how people don't think playing in the championship is making. You need to be pretty good to get to that level like

He's already made it, he's a full time professional footballer probably in the championship, mad how people don't think playing in the championship is making. You need to be pretty good to get to that level like
We’ve often discussed in the Youth Thread if 50 games for Everton is a criteria to say if an Academy product has made it . But that means only Kenny, Davies and Gordon fit that criteria in the past 10 years. I’d say that with 12 games for us , a PL goal , goals in the Championship, goals in the SPL Simms has made it .

I’ve watched him since he featured as a16 year old in a pre season youth tournament, emerging with the Golden Boot and looking as cumbersome as any 16 year old I’ve ever seen. It’s been a great journey for him , great effort from our Youth Coaches to raise his standards and I’m sad that it’s apparently coming to an end with us. I still believe he’s a frustratingly slow learner but gradually improves every season and it‘ll maybe in 3 or 4 years time that he reaches his peak and bangs in a shed load of goals somewhere.

We’ve often discussed in the Youth Thread if 50 games for Everton is a criteria to say if an Academy product has made it . But that means only Kenny, Davies and Gordon fit that criteria in the past 10 years. I’d say that with 12 games for us , a PL goal , goals in the Championship, goals in the SPL Simms has made it .

I’ve watched him since he featured as a16 year old in a pre season youth tournament, emerging with the Golden Boot and looking as cumbersome as any 16 year old I’ve ever seen. It’s been a great journey for him , great effort from our Youth Coaches to raise his standards and I’m sad that it’s apparently coming to an end with us. I still believe he’s a frustratingly slow learner but gradually improves every season and it‘ll maybe in 3 or 4 years time that he reaches his peak and bangs in a shed load of goals somewhere.

I just dont think with Ellis he will ever really learn the other side of the game. As a 16 year old, he was a bit like Lukaku in his age group. The stuff around scoring a goal he was very natural, and he was a lot bigger than his counterparts, but his all round game was just not there at all.

I remember on that final game v Bournemouth, he makes a great run for Iwobi at one point. He arcs the run perfectly, to keep himself onside. Really clever play, but it's a level of intelligence the rest of the game doesnt have.

For a side like us, that is essential. We are not a high possession team. I think hes likely to be a guy who scores a fair few goals in the championship, but will always probably struggle to make the step up, as his output will never quite be good enough to justify his limitations.

For us, if we get over £5m, it starts to get to a point where we are fairly rewarded for that risk. And ultimately the manager doesnt fancy him, as most managers havent fancied him.

I just dont think with Ellis he will ever really learn the other side of the game. As a 16 year old, he was a bit like Lukaku in his age group. The stuff around scoring a goal he was very natural, and he was a lot bigger than his counterparts, but his all round game was just not there at all.

I remember on that final game v Bournemouth, he makes a great run for Iwobi at one point. He arcs the run perfectly, to keep himself onside. Really clever play, but it's a level of intelligence the rest of the game doesnt have.

For a side like us, that is essential. We are not a high possession team. I think hes likely to be a guy who scores a fair few goals in the championship, but will always probably struggle to make the step up, as his output will never quite be good enough to justify his limitations.

For us, if we get over £5m, it starts to get to a point where we are fairly rewarded for that risk. And ultimately the manager doesnt fancy him, as most managers havent fancied him.

Whilst I'd say Iwobi game intelligence probably meant the run of Simms was wasted, I think this is fair.

I am however one which believes he should have been given a run of ten games or so, like any young player tbh, to show what he can do.

Its a moot point though if Dyche doesn't fancy him.

Whilst I'd say Iwobi game intelligence probably meant the run of Simms was wasted, I think this is fair.

I am however one which believes he should have been given a run of ten games or so, like any young player tbh, to show what he can do.

Its a moot point though if Dyche doesn't fancy him.

Yes I probably agree with all of this. At the very least I'm surprised we didnt see more of him from the bench.

There was one game he came on, Brentford I think, and Iwobi just kept clipping balls over the top for him and he changed the game for us, and got us up the pitch. He was a useful impact sub and a handful for defences and a good defensive outlet.

But clearly Dyche doesnt fancy him, and in fairness to Dyche, Benitez, Lampard, Ancelotti etc didnt either.

My thinking is he will probably be a bit like Dwight Gayle, he will get goals in the championship, but may find the PL a bridge too far.

If we get 7 mill that should set a good precedent for any future academy sales that have had a decent loan spell in the Championship.

Imagine if we could get similar fees for Welch, Mills, Dobbin, Warrington and Cannon in a years time.

Good lad but unfortunately his style clearly isn't energetic enough for Dyche, which is no shame on his part. I hope to see him back in the PL at some point, I feel like in the right set-up he could score at a decent level.

Thanks for the last minute goal against Chelsea, really got me off my seat and I'll remember it.

Status
Not open for further replies.