2022/23 Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I probably agree with all of this. At the very least I'm surprised we didnt see more of him from the bench.

There was one game he came on, Brentford I think, and Iwobi just kept clipping balls over the top for him and he changed the game for us, and got us up the pitch. He was a useful impact sub and a handful for defences and a good defensive outlet.

But clearly Dyche doesnt fancy him, and in fairness to Dyche, Benitez, Lampard, Ancelotti etc didnt either.

My thinking is he will probably be a bit like Dwight Gayle, he will get goals in the championship, but may find the PL a bridge too far.
Can we at the very least stop acting like the managers who didn't play him when he was 18 are a referendum on his current ability?

Who would you sign?
I honestly don't even know. Trying to play the game of finding someone who is affordable, the right age, good enough and would actually join is near on impossible. Add in that we don't look like signing anyone who fits and I'm just not going around watching videos or reading up on players anymore. We'll just see what happens.

I honestly don't even know. Trying to play the game of finding someone who is affordable, the right age, good enough and would actually join is near on impossible. Add in that we don't look like signing anyone who fits and I'm just not going around watching videos or reading up on players anymore. We'll just see what happens.
I think age is not a necessity at the minute. Be nice to have someone we know we can rely on for many seasons to come but I think we just need the quality, affordability and desire to join.

I think age is not a necessity at the minute. Be nice to have someone we know we can rely on for many seasons to come but I think we just need the quality, affordability and desire to join.
I'd go the other way and say it's actually the most important. A lot of where we are now is because we haven't paid attention to what age means for our ability to build depth and have cash come into the club. We can't save ourselves from the yearly survival fight until we figure that piece of it out.

Nah you know what, if that lot can get £23.5m for Rhian sodding Brewster we can get £7m for a lad who has proven he can score a few in the championship.
They're Liverpool though and we're Everton. There's a massive difference if you're deemed to have 'made it' at Anfield vs Goodison Park. We usually let £40m signings leave on free transfers as we're unable to sell players. Fully expect Simms to be am unwanted part of the league squad come August.

Status
Not open for further replies.