2022/23 Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep... Too risky, we are getting results so why change it?

In effect we have a lot of players who are tasked with getting forward and getting a goal. The striker right now is almost nominal - there to come short and drag a defender or two out so runners from midfield can get in behind them.

He should continue to be used the same way as he was on Saturday. If we need a goal then he's a good option because grabbing a goal is exactly what he's best at. From the start, and when trying to hold a lead, I'm not sure he offers enough, but he's by far the most likely of the attacking options to get themselves in a position to score and also to take it once he's there.

He should continue to be used the same way as he was on Saturday. If we need a goal then he's a good option because grabbing a goal is exactly what he's best at. From the start, and when trying to hold a lead, I'm not sure he offers enough, but he's by far the most likely of the attacking options to get themselves in a position to score and also to take it once he's there.
100%

He should be the first attacking sub while Dom isn't fit, which we just have to assume is the case.

It’s reality Monday now the euphoria of his great goal has subsided. And it was a great goal, those saying the keeper some how made a mistake underestimate the power he generates in his shot, it was a typical Simms goal he’s done it so many times at all levels. But he’s still not the finished product yet, even at 22 he’s gradually improving each season. I don’t think he’s a regular starter yet, but he needs game time to improve , 25-30 minutes off the bench would be ideal for him.
It was bad GKing but it was also a good finish because he generates so much power and tees himself up perfectly for it.

Simms literally hit his straight at the GK.

It's a good finish but it's also a howler.
It was bad GKing but it was also a good finish because he generates so much power and tees himself up perfectly for it.
I’m not sure why you’re continuing to labour this point but Simms clearly didn’t “ hit his straight at the GK” . For most people straight at the goalkeeper means he doesn’t have to move , it hits him in his middle or he catches it easily . The GK goes down low to his left pushes out his left hand but is beaten by the power, if you think that’s straight at him then we’ll have to agree to disagree.

I’m not sure why you’re continuing to labour this point but Simms clearly didn’t “ hit his straight at the GK” . For most people straight at the goalkeeper means he doesn’t have to move , it hits him in his middle or he catches it easily . The GK goes down low to his left pushes out his left hand but is beaten by the power, if you think that’s straight at him then we’ll have to agree to disagree.
Well, he hit it very close to the GK.

I think a better GK saves it. I also think had Pickford let it in at the other end he'd be getting pelters.

What Simms does well, as I've said, is get enough power on it to beat Kepa.

Both things can be true.

….I don’t think anybody is getting giddy but he surely he’s jumped ahead of Maupay in the pecking order. The keeper should’ve done better but his physicality to get beyond Koulibaly and then open up the chance was decent.

He’s not the answer but he’s an option & the goal will do wonders for his mindset.
Agree entirely. I'm left hoping that in our situation it's a case of cometh the hour, cometh the man.

Status
Not open for further replies.