2022/23 Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I give my elder lad a slap?
"Hope Evertonians don't get giddy over Simms. He's shoite. Goalkeeper should have saved it he just got lucky"

….I don’t think anybody is getting giddy but he surely he’s jumped ahead of Maupay in the pecking order. The keeper should’ve done better but his physicality to get beyond Koulibaly and then open up the chance was decent.

He’s not the answer but he’s an option & the goal will do wonders for his mindset.

….I don’t think anybody is getting giddy but he surely he’s jumped ahead of Maupay in the pecking order. The keeper should’ve done better but his physicality to get beyond Koulibaly and then open up the chance was decent.

He’s not the answer but he’s an option & the goal will do wonders for his mindset.
Surely ahead of maupay would like to see him get more minutes now, got to of been a huge confidence boost for him and strikers need minutes as much as any other position I think, definitely needs another loan next season but needs to stay there for the duration.

I think most of us will agree that Simms has looked "raw" at times, but one of the encouraging things for me is how this has been the case at each level he's played at and he's then gradually improved and become a good player

Blackpool, Hearts and Sunderland - at each of those (and particularly Hearts and Sunderland), he had to improve to play at the level required to make an impact and he did it. Fans of all of those clubs rate him. The way I look at it with him is that he's in that situation again now - he clearly has something about him, power, a bit of pace and goal scoring instincts, but he needs to work on some stuff too, namely (as I see it), his work rate, better using his strength and his interplay

There's been a couple of moments, like his pass against Leeds which should have resulted in a goal for Doucoure and, obviously, his goal on Saturday where you think there's definitely something there

I think he certainly had ability, but I think Dyche’s biggest task will be to improve his work rate. If he his workrate was similar to Maupays he would be in the team hands down. I also think people under estimate his goal on Saturday. It was a very composed finish which he took early.

I think he certainly had ability, but I think Dyche’s biggest task will be to improve his work rate. If he his workrate was similar to Maupays he would be in the team hands down. I also think people under estimate his goal on Saturday. It was a very composed finish which he took early.
It was a proper striker's goal wasn't it?

Loads of people back in the day gave Vic Anichebe grief for being a bit of a 'donkey' but Simms' goal on Sunday reminded me of the kind of goals that Vic scored for us.

I agree the keeper should have done better.

BUT... he hit the target & he didn't hit it straight at Kepa - which makes him our best available forward from the bench.

A tiring Koulibaly though.

I think we'll see Dyche play Maupay off the bench if we're holding onto something and he'll play Simms off the bench if we need a goal.

I also suspect if we ever see 4-4-2 once DC-L is back then he'll sooner have Maupay or even Gray playing as the 2nd striker.

At least people are no longer questioning his pace and power, but it needs putting into context. I said earlier in the season that in a 40 yard sprint between Simms , Gordon, and Godfrey he’d come third, he doesn’t have that push the ball past a defender on the run kind of speed Gordon has. But he comes alive in and around the box and he’s got that acceleration over 10 yards to get a start on a defender then the strength to hold them off if they’re faster than him. He’ll look slow and lazy at times but with the right ball to run onto he’s going to get a shot away and onto target that’s powerful enough to trouble goalkeepers.
I think I’ve seen him score one headed goal in six seasons , that remains a weakness for someone his size.

1679311495114.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.