Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think Unsworth has been like this since he has dropped back down to under 23s to be honest.
Picking the likes of Browning & Galloway constatly over someone who ay have more of a chance- say Kyle John or Ryan Astley is proof to that.
Harry Charsley still palys ahead of Anthony gordon im sure and he's like 31 now.

....but that might be club strategy. I don’t know if it is, but perhaps those on big contracts have to play to try and shift them on. Unsworth might have no say in those instances.

Or Simms didn't do particularly great in the under 23s and they thought he'd benefit more from a title challenge (and potential league win) with the under 18s. Instilling a winning mentality seems to be very high on the agenda at finch farm and that can't be a bad thing IMO.

Playing every game for the 18s, seeing through a complete title challenge versus missing out on the reward of a long season and playing second fiddle to Hornby. I think I agree with the coaches on this one. He'll deffo step up to the 23s next year and he won't have Sambou in his way at least and possibly Hornby if he goes out on loan.
Not just talking about Simms mate. Think the need to win games over looking at players is Unsworths approach and its not productive in my view.
Get the winning approach but playing players that wont be there after the summer or even this time next year rather than talking a chance to blood a youngster who could excel with the step up should be the remit for the 23s set up.

Maybe ive been lucky when I go the match but even if he was out of his depth when he made a cameo I cant see him getting abuse. People in here must be sat by some horrors

Not just talking about Simms mate. Think the need to win games over looking at players is Unsworths approach and its not productive in my view.
Get the winning approach but playing players that wont be there after the summer or even this time next year rather than talking a chance to blood a youngster who could excel with the step up should be the remit for the 23s set up.
Would imagine it would be out of Unsworth's hands if Brands wanted certain players to step up. I know you can never be sure of anything where Everton are concerned, but I would hope that these decisions aren't just being made randomly, and there is an underlying youth development plan which is being followed with these players.

Regardless of his strike rate in the U18's the gap between youth and senior football is massive. If he's a big lad for his age then there may be a chance he's going to look much better at U18's then he actually is.

For example, Everton have regularly played their U23 side in the Liverpool Senior Cup against the likes of Prescot Cables, Bootle, Marine and other giants of the game. For these games in the last couple of years it's been something much closer to the U18 team that has took the field and they've often struggled when playing against senior sides even if those sides are at tiers 7,8 or 9 of the football pyramid. They haven't been kicked off the field by grocks but just outplayed and struggled with the physicality of the game - nothing dirty but just a matter of physical strength and the mentality to cope constantly coming off second best in challenges - you see them get exasperated by it and just give up after a while.

Bringing a lad into a PL game just cos he's banging them in at U18 level is nonsense. Maybe he's trained with senior players on occasion and looked completely out of his depth or even with the U23's. If he's good enough then great but stats at that level don't tell an awful lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.