Edson Buddle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at his goals mAny came on the back of great service from beckham....his lack of goals in Germany is possibly down to lack of quality supply
Enter Baines and Donovan.....a match made in heaven IMHO bring it on FFS

Buddle is not the answer...yeah...some pace and all that, but he's damn near 30 and his highest level is MLS/Championship level...if he were 23 or 24, I say take the punt...but at 30, I think he is what he is...y'know?

Almost every time I saw him in MLS he struggled. Can't see how he would be better than Apocoplayse. Then again he's American so he'll work cheap and the worst he could do is not score. Therefore him playing shouldn't affect our standings.

No for me, the only time I've seen him do well was a wonder-goal against Sounders FC in the playoffs two seasons ago.

I googled for a few minutes trying to find out what's so funny about his name but I came up with nothing. Well, out with it cmon!

After watching the Youtube video above, he seems very similar to Saha a few years ago, pacey, good left foot and decent in the air.

Cant say im over excited about this news, however like Gibson, im willing to give him a chance before writing him off.

Ching definitely should have gone over Buddle.

Sorry, don't agree. Buddle looked great in camp and in the two friendlies we played right before the WC - let's remember that, and he looked just fine in the 20 minutes he did get.

With that said, I also don't think he's the best option, but he's better than Straq, Saha and Cahill. Whether he's better than Vellios - dunno, haven't seen enough.

I suspect he won't make it past his trial, but we shall see - he's got his shot. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he does.

EDIT: Nothing against Ching, just that I could understand Buddle's inclusion.

Almost every time I saw him in MLS he struggled. Can't see how he would be better than Apocoplayse. Then again he's American so he'll work cheap and the worst he could do is not score. Therefore him playing shouldn't affect our standings.

I understand the folks who say he's not good enough - I personally agree with them. And as a Galaxy fan, I've seen a lot of Edson Buddle.

But his last few years in MLS were solid, and he had a spectacular 2010. So to say "almost every time he struggled/only time he did well was a wonder-goal" (sorry guys, not trying to pick on you, just in general) isn't accurate unless you watched 2 games/year. So although I don't think he's good enough, I do want to recognize he wasn't bad in MLS, in particular when he got great service from his midfield. He is not terrible, and he has been called into the national team several times now and made the WC squad.

It's a TRIAL. Let's see how he does FFS.

interesting!
i wonder whats going on with this "american invasion" ;) maybe Landon has something to do with this one.

i would welcome him, tall, pacy...american.. GERONIIIIIIMOOOOOOO!!

I wouldn't go near Clint Dempsey , but I do like Stuart Holden he's a nice player, but this Buddle's no better than Kenny Miller FFS , we have hit rock bottom financially :-(

This is an interesting statement. I'm intrigued to find out why.

My personal opinion is that he's one of the most hard working and dangerous, goal scoring midfielders in the Premier League.

Granted he's 30+, but as we're not interested in him from what I gather, that's not an issue. But to say you effectively don't rate him is really interesting.

From THT and LCAB's story this is the stat I was trying to mention earlier:

Los Angeles Galaxy rescued Buddle from his Toronto nightmare and he repaid their faith by scoring 42 goals in 87 appearances during a 3 year spell at the Galaxy, where he played with David Beckham and current Everton loanee Landon Donovan. During that final season with Galaxy, Buddle won the MVP and the Golden Boot. He then moved onto his last club FC Ingolstad.

Note that MVP/Golden Boot were for the Galaxy, though he was a candidate for both in the league. He fell one short of the boot.

P.S. Clint Dempsey is actually 28 and I would have him here yesterday.

I think he is worth a go, its always difficult to tell how good a player is, when all you have is a montage of their best bits and its from another league, until he has been given a go against our Premier league defenders.

Some things don't change though and this guy certainly has pace, a good first touch and can score with is back to goal.
Being over 30 doesnt cause an issue for me, I dont think it means as much as it did years ago, players can carry on well past 30 these days, as long as they dont get a bad injury and they look after themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.