Confirmed Signing Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was saying last week, and indeed before that, that you cant really judge McNeil on what he did for Burnley, because he was being asked to do a very different job mate. Essentially to play as an old fashioned widely left, whip crosses in and keep his defensive shape.

Hes been liberated in that new role and a I think it will give him a new lease of life.

He's a progressive passer of the ball too. Always looking for the forward ball through the lines. Did it about 4 times in 10 mins last night.

Didn't get to watch last night but reading the last few pages it seems that McNeil played as a RW and had pretty much the perfect debut there - is that correct?

If this is a taste of things to come I'll be delighted to retract my earlier concerns. If he's been brought in to be our starting RW and he delivers the goods playing there, then that's a more than decent decision because RW is/was a position of urgent need.

Didn't get to watch last night but reading the last few pages it seems that McNeil played as a RW and had pretty much the perfect debut there - is that correct?

If this is a taste of things to come I'll be delighted to retract my earlier concerns. If he's been brought in to be our starting RW and he delivers the goods playing there, then that's a more than decent decision because RW is/was a position of urgent need.
Yep, barring one wayward pass that was a very good idea, it was perfect. He looked after the ball very well, scored a beauty and was in the box in space to score a header from a left wing cross. So far so good, brilliant right wing play.

He looked a threat, an option at set peices, can stretch a defense, dribble, good pass execution, looks progressive and makes decent positional runs, looks very comfortable coming inside and getting into positions. Decent work rate also. His two goals showed the vairience in his game All very positive.

A lot of the lads on here look correct in their analysis in that he looks a decent player when let off the Burnley leash - far more creative and a threat. Fair play for that call, i was skeptical myself.

The balance is - well it was a preseason friendly, in a bit of carnival atmosphere. with no pressure. Bigger test ahead but he looked very good in the team, much more efficient then a lot of his colleagues. Except for the young lad who came on and took the penalty, he looked a real gem hadn't heard him of before.

Last edited:
Yep, barring one wayward pass that was a very good idea, it was perfect. He looked after the ball very well, scored a beauty and was in the box in space to score a header from a left wing cross. So far so good, brilliant right wing play.

….being in the box to score that header was a key moment for me. It’s hard work getting into the box all the time and I doubt he was encouraged to do that at Burnley, but I imagine that will be very much part of his role here.

He’ll certainly improve those stats many posters were quoting.

….being in the box to score that header was a key moment for me. It’s hard work getting into the box all the time and I doubt he was encouraged to do that at Burnley, but I imagine that will be very much part of his role here.

It was the difference between the two goals that impressed me mate, one was a sublime big of technique and skill the other was heart, desire and fight.

Early days but those qualities bode well.

Perfect debut. Thought our whole play improved when he came on. Although Gray looked 'exciting' I think despite his good performance the team didn't look as balanced. He seems to run into blind alleys and doesn't release the ball when he needs to. McNeil on the other hand, kept the ball well, played nice triangles and by cutting inside, Patterson grew more lively (thought he was solid if unspectacular before).

If we are playing the wingback formation, I'm not sure where Gray fits in. However, having a left footer like McNeil who can cut inside, is good in keeping possession and can pick a shot is perfect for the overlapping Patterson.

Putting my positivity hat firmly on..

I think him and Patterson on the right could potentially be molded into a very good combo. We've already seen how good Patterson's wing-back play can be, including his overlapping & crossing. McNeil ahead of him then gives us an option to cut inside from the right and utilise his strong left foot for either shooting or switching the play over to the left.

I genuinely wonder if Lampard has this in mind. If it works then we've potentially got the right-hand side sorted for the next few years.

:coffee:

A winger as tall as him arriving late in the box with a genuine desire to win it is a nightmare for full backs

Status
Not open for further replies.