Duncan Ferguson - The Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
But to people of a certain age, he was also the Ray of hope in a pretty turgid time for the club. He was a catalyst for some of our biggest moments in a dire period of our history.
This is it, Due to Everton being absolute garbage since the Walter Smith regime and on wards the word "legend" has took a massive detour to modern Everton fans sadly where people like Dunc and Cahill are held in high regard because they would drag us through the mud run through brick walls for us and give it everything because they loved the club so much and you could see it and feel it when they played or when they talked about Everton it meant a lot more to these two than most other players. I'll never forget the Villarreal goal that should have stood or the United one.

Fair enough Dave, your entitled to your opinion as much as anyone else, I think we just have to back him and try and get some positivity going around the whole club/stadium, Duncan mentioned that in his press conference also. Time will tell or at least tomorrow will show us a glimpse anyway of what his coaching is like but we need to remember he’s had one training session with the team and the injuries and there for everyone to see.
I dont care about him or his ambitions, tbh. If he had any he'd have been out at a club paying his dues, just like his fellow cone layers Stubbs and Weir at least attempted to do. I can respect that more than someone who clings on to his coaching job through multiple failed regimes and never once tried to take up a managerial position elsewhere. There's no way he should be in that dugout...even for one game.

I dont care about him or his ambitions, tbh. If he had any he'd have been out at a club paying his dues, just like his fellow cone layers Stubbs and Weir at least attempted to do. I can respect that more than someone who clings on to his coaching job through multiple failed regimes and never once tried to take up a managerial position elsewhere. There's no way he should be in that dugout...even for one game.

Mate, and I ask you this sincerely, when was the last time you were a happy Evertonian?

I think its a Time and Place thing mate. Like you say, his injuries, off field antics, and actual goals would confer "Legend" on very few. But at the time, he was a beacon of hope.

I guess its similar to Malcolm MacDonald being seen at Arsenal in a similar light. (Back in the day, granted). They were poor, he was the big new thing, played a season and a bit, but at the time had a similar impact on Highbury that Duncan did at Goodison.

There's nothing wrong with kids having heroes. McKenzie was hardly here a season and didn't really score that many and was viewed by some others as an extravagant cherry on top of the cake - when we didn't even have a cake to put him on!

He was clearly no legend, but he was a hero to me as a kid, so I get it.

However, Ferguson doesn't deserve this time in the dugout. He wasn't a great role model and has never tested or wanted to test himself as a manager elsewhere. So why should he manage Everton even for a day?

I understand where you are coming from but I think he’s got limited options tomorrow, if every player was fit it would most certainly be interesting, I can’t see him starting with Schneiderlin though, prob just make him sit on the bench and give Davies a chance to put right some poor performances in last 2 games.

That’s the point I was making. Extremely limited options right up the middle of the team.

I could not be bothered winding this thread back to quote the relevant piece but did someone earlier say Duncan was a wife beater? I must have misread it, I hope.

There's nothing wrong with kids having heroes. McKenzie was hardly here a season and didn't really score that many and was viewed by some others as an extravagant cherry on top of the cake - when we didn't even have a cake to put him on!

He was clearly no legend, but he was a hero to me as a kid, so I get it.

However, Ferguson doesn't deserve this time in the dugout. He wasn't a great role model and has never tested or wanted to test himself as a manager elsewhere. So why should he manage Everton even for a day?

Because we need him to do so. At least he will give the crowd a lift , and we certainly need one !

For your sake, I hope you don't look like Srefan Freund.

Status
Not open for further replies.