Duncan Ferguson - The Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
5568.jpg

It was an incongruous sight and a press conference to shatter preconceptions. There sat Duncan Ferguson, fearsome slayer of Pascal Chimbonda, Fredi Bobic and Steffen Freund to select just a few who regretted upsetting the former Everton centre-forward during his playing days, nervous and emotional as he joked with the media he once loathed.

Several times he choked up while discussing his promotion to Everton temporary manager following Marco Silva’s dismissal: once when recalling the reaction of his children, season ticket holders in the lower Gwladys Street; again when detailing how he was handed the job; and finally when asked about Everton’s alarming slide into the relegation zone, a regression he has been charged with arresting against Chelsea on Saturday.

“It is devastating, isn’t it?” said Ferguson, eyes welling up and voice cracking. “I have been here a very long time and it really hurts you.” Does it hurt Everton’s underachieving players just the same? “Is that possible?” he replied. “We all hope it is. That is the kind of message we gave the players this morning. We have to bleed for this club. We have to bleed on that pitch.”

I can rememe
In my opinion, anybody who is old enough to remember Duncan Ferguson play and old enough to remember Everton when Duncan Ferguson was playing and cannot understand what a talisman he was and is for the club simply doesn't get EFC or it's history. They are following a delusional club which has been at the top of English football for the last number of decades. I have been following Everton since about 1970 and it has largely been log periods of disappointment interspersed with the odd period of dominance.
Duncan Ferguson was one of our heroes that led the fight on our behalf. Was he perfect ? far from it but he does appear to have matured into a thoughtful intelligent man.

Regarding the press conference today.... I didn't see it all but what I did see reminded me of what we have been missing under the two most recent managers....passion, energy, appreciation for the club and the part they play in it's history.
I thought he presented himself very well, I thought his love of the club shone through in everything he said. How refreshing listening to somebody whose ambition in life is to manage Everton.
He may not be a success, he may not have what it takes to be a good manager but we can only hope that he does.

Roberto Martinez to be fair to him was always positive about football, about his players and about the club but it is a results business and if you don't get the results you lose your job.... The media talk about continuity and that is right but it needs to be with the right person. Keeping the same manager as you slide down the table is not continuity... it is self destruction. I liked RM and I was sorry he lost his job but it was something that had to be done.

Koeman never got Everton and had no passion for the club or it's fans , I think Koeman was in love with himself and didn't have room for anybody else. He was a bad appointment, much worse than RM or MS and the poor results compounded by the money wasted makes his time at Everton bordering on criminal.

I have been calling for Marco Silva to lose his job for months now. Sitting in the stand watching an inept hapless performance against Sheff. Utd made me realise we were going nowhere fast with him, it wasn't the result alone as much as the performance, the tactics the complete inability to change a game that you should be winning but is going against you.
On a personal level I feel sorry for him, I think he did get Everton and the fans, I think the job meant a lot to him , Ithink he was respected and liked throughout the club... but as I said earlier it is a results business and his results were not even close to be good enough. I think it was his niceness and decency which made his dismissal so difficult for Brands/Kenwright/Moshiri.
I think Silva may have been too close to his players, too friendly with them... I am not sure he was as in charge as he should have been and I think his friendship and reliance on certain senior players kept them in the team even when they should have been benched. The best manager are respected by their players but I am not sure they are liked by them.

Big Dunc certainly is an imposing figure at the club, has the love and support of the fans.. the rest is up to him.
I wonder if he gave a hint at the press conference that he is ready to begin a career in management as he has said he is not ready to manage Everton but it is his ambition to do so... it may mean he might have to move to get that experience.
I remember him most coming on as a sub a lot (maybe more so than seeing him in the starting 11!). It was pretty hilarious to see the look on opposing defenders faces when they would eye him warming up on the touchline.
I didn't think of him as a hero (there have been plenty of others over the years to take that title), but he was someone you could count on to shake things up when he came on. For that reason alone he was worth the entertainment value.
That level of passion and aggression has been sadly missing from our team for years now. Here's hoping he can instill it in our current crew of wobbly legged millennials.

I can rememe

I remember him most coming on as a sub a lot (maybe more so than seeing him in the starting 11!). It was pretty hilarious to see the look on opposing defenders faces when they would eye him warming up on the touchline.
I didn't think of him as a hero (there have been plenty of others over the years to take that title), but he was someone you could count on to shake things up when he came on. For that reason alone he was worth the entertainment value.
That level of passion and aggression has been sadly missing from our team for years now. Here's hoping he can instill it in our current crew of wobbly legged millennials.
Roy Keane actively avoided Duncan.

I don't honestly know if Duncan Ferguson is tactically astute, I don't know if he has a game plan that can beat Chelsea, I know he cares about Everton, I know he will try his best to get the players to put a shift in. If he can instill a bit of professional pride in our wasters then he has moved things on.
Good luck to him.

He hasn't had the bollox to go out and get a manager's job. Fellow cone layers Weir and Stubbs did. They deserve respect, at least.
stop banging Your drum now dave it's been the same beat for too long. ever thought hes still employed at everton out lasting martinez,koeman,bigsam,silva because hes respected by staff and players and majority of fans. thing is he's only here as the board dithered in sacking silva and getting a replacement hes in charge for a few games at most. if we pick up points its a bonus. I don't expect miracles from hIm.
he was asked today would he like it full time at least he had the balls to admit he wasn't ready to manage us permanently yet.
if we get a few wins and good performances are you going to have the balls to admit you were wrong? takes a man to admit his shortcomings and mistakes.

He said about we should be careful when pressing high of the pitch bcoz Chelsea very good in counter attack.
Something I never heard from Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.