Duncan Ferguson - The Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered if a front man type model would work in football management. That is, a figurehead whose main responsibility is for the man management, discipline and inspiration, but isn't for the brainy tactical bit which is much more scientific. For the latter, you instead have the best tactical analysts in the business and they essentially make the in-game calls. (Imagine a good version of Steve Round without the bluetooth.) You see it a lot in other walks of life but seemingly never in football or sport in general. I can see a few flaws with it but none necessarily fatal. One of the big problems with Martinez and Silva (and to some extent Koeman) is that they weren't a commanding presence for players, fans and media. One thing you could see in abundance yesterday is that Duncan is exactly that, and we've missed it badly since Moyes.

I don’t know why hair hands loves Sam so much. Sam had 11 behind the ball and standing in a very rigid shape with no tempo , intensity or excitement. We had games where we never had a shot on goal. He was set up to not concede and hope for a set piece. He knew that simply stopping goals would be enough for him to do a “good job”. He also was sacked by England for taking illegal payments and has often trolled fans of the club he is currently managing. He is nothing like duncan , especially when it comes to Efc , Sam was our for Sam , Dunc is all about efc. Dunc has had one game and I said this when watching last night , “ this game reminds me of Dunc’s first game under royle”. Everton fans love passion and the staudium yesterday sounded like nothing I have heard for about 3-4 years. Sam didn’t have a single performance like that or an atmosphere like that in the whole time he was here and Dunc has done it on day one. Richard keys comparing Sam to the dogs of war? I enjoyed watching us play that style of football, it’s connects the team to the fans and gives them a chance to shout and cheer and get the team going. We beat the RS home and away playing like that, we beat Man U, we won the cup and we had players that our fans would support purely on their effort and pride for the shirt. Dogs of war style football is very basic but can be very exciting and entertaining and even when we finished 5th with Bobby I found our games boring. I love blood and thunder football , proper British style , hard, fighting , determined , all for one style football and goodison responds whenever it is on display , I can’t beleive so many managers have failed to recognise this
Because it’s unfashionable

Like Ferguson or not, if that game with raw emotion/result/atmosphere/ yesterday doesn’t put a smile on your face then footballs not for you.

First time in a long time Manager/players and fans were together as one.

i wasn’t Ferguson’s biggest fan. But i agree that yesterday was a big performance. We could do worse that letting him run with it as interim while everything is moving forward. we will get found out playing that way every week.
leicester for me play the kind of footvall I like. It’s not overly elaborate, but it direct, and great to watch.

i wasn’t Ferguson’s biggest fan. But i agree that yesterday was a big performance. We could do worse that letting him run with it as interim while everything is moving forward. we will get found out playing that way every week.
leicester for me play the kind of footvall I like. It’s not overly elaborate, but it direct, and great to watch.
Thing is, if Chelsea were a bit more direct and had their shooting boots on, they would have cuffed us too!

Given the injuries presently and personnel available, Duncan played to our strengths, 2 strong fast fit players up front, we played more direct. If we had Gomes, Ghana/Gharbin and a in form siggardson/iwobi we would could play through the midfield. With Siggardson and Schniederlein playing against kovacic, Kante and Mount we would have been overrun playing on the Deck. This style isn’t the long term answer but it certainly is the best option currently considering our position and squad options . I’ve said before on this forum that Richarlison is the only player that can lead the line himself and that’s not an ideal scenario. It’s not surprising Dominic Calvert Lewin had one of his best games yesterday playing up front and Richarlison wasn’t far behind. It wasn’t the prettiest game yesterday but it’s a start and a couple of positive result in this difficult period could give the players confidence and I’m sure the football will improve.

It wasn’t the prettiest game yesterday but it’s a start and a couple of positive result in this difficult period could give the players confidence and I’m sure the football will improve.

Thats true. But although the rest of the world dont care, and dont know, we know that was an Everton team playing. Where it was dragged from God only knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.