Duncan Ferguson - The Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats true. But although the rest of the world dont care, and dont know, we know that was an Everton team playing. Where it was dragged from God only knows.
The mood in the camp must have been on its arse following the Leicester game. Marco’s frustration and body language has largely infected the squad which I’m not holding him account for. As a fan you know how I felt when that goal went in injury time. Duncan has come in with a different mindset, simplified the gameplan and to be fair rallied the team. He’s got to be given credit for that. If that means it takes over for a few more games, it’s not a bad thing if we get the right man for the job.

I met Sam at a charity dinner at Old Trafford a few years ago. A tribute to SAF, with his best friends in attendance...Sam, Wilf McGuinness, Bryan Robson, Smith the ex Blackburn manager, Peter Reid, Mick Hucknall, Tony Christie,Billy McNeill. Moyes was not there. Had a conversation with Reidy and Big Sam, and Sam was amusing, and talked a lot of sense about football. I think his frustration is that he's been categorised as a 'quick fix saviour' because he does that job so well, when in fact he would rather be considered as a good progressive manager, which he was at Bolton. I think his abrasive attitude towards supporters is reactive ...he answers back with the best of them, and he does give a helluva lot to charity. I think if he had been given a second season at Everton, we would have played a more positive brand of football. But Moshiri was obsessed with getting Silva.
Steve, Allardyce had a chance to prove that he was a ‘ good progressive manager’ at Everton, after he got them into a safe position, but he still carried on with the boring negative football, became for the money at Goodison and was content to get two years wages for six months work, he never wanted the second season at Everton and, thank God, he wasn’t offered it. Sam, first and last, is for Sam.

What total rubbish.
We were safe from relegation by mid February, Sam had 3 months to implement more progressive football, but failed to do so and changed nothing

Ya agree with this. He had us safe and then what a chance to show what kind of football he could try to implement. He totally failed at that. He knew what he was doing. He knew he didnt have fans inside and failed to change his football. It wasn't like Duncan's intensity. It was slow. Boring. Structured in fairness. 8 million I believe was at the back of his mind.

I've always wondered if a front man type model would work in football management. That is, a figurehead whose main responsibility is for the man management, discipline and inspiration, but isn't for the brainy tactical bit which is much more scientific. For the latter, you instead have the best tactical analysts in the business and they essentially make the in-game calls. (Imagine a good version of Steve Round without the bluetooth.) You see it a lot in other walks of life but seemingly never in football or sport in general. I can see a few flaws with it but none necessarily fatal. One of the big problems with Martinez and Silva (and to some extent Koeman) is that they weren't a commanding presence for players, fans and media. One thing you could see in abundance yesterday is that Duncan is exactly that, and we've missed it badly since Moyes.
I agree with this but who’s to know Ferguson’s ideas and “brainy tactical bit” aren’t good anyhow. The man can clearly motivate but we’re stereoptyping to think that a no nonsense centre forward has no tactical nous. From all accounts, he’s obsessed with football and a real thinker from things I’ve read. Let’s wait and see.

I can’t see why all can’t embrace the positives on the result and ambience.
Yes Dunc was a player, but now he’s like a fan on the payroll and probably did what most of us would of done he we’d been manager for a day in terms of celebration.
I don’t get the cynicism.
3 points, lift in morale and breathing space for the next game.
By the way Dunc always did well against United.

The argument we were safe under Sam so he should of played a more expansive game with players patently incapable of it is simplistic nonsense. The outcry at a potential return to results and form prior to his arrival would have had screams of "why is he doing this? This crew got us in the cack in the first place trying to play footy"

He needed new players simple as

The argument we were safe under Sam so he should of played a more expansive game with players patently incapable of it is simplistic nonsense. The outcry at a potential return to results and form prior to his arrival would have had screams of "why is he doing this? This crew got us in the cack in the first place trying to play footy"

Exactly - it takes an entire pre-season to set up players to a new system, and adjust the training, staff, offload players who can't play in the system but must play or else everyone will be out to get you, those assets won't be as saleable etc.

From Allardyce's POV - Everton may have been "safe", but there were still points and places to be won. The higher he finished, especially with a Europa qualification, the more money and draw for players he might have had?

It's no different to Mourinho's take on spurs at the moment - don't change too much too quickly; get the results flowing, do what you can until you have time to get your ideas across. He's building on the back of Pochettino's basic groundwork, which took at least a season to get going (and he even had a pre-season behind him), especially getting a team that can play the game you want to play.

Well this season the players who have ‘ Got us in the cack’ gave us the best day we have had for a long time yesterday, motivated by a temporary manager, admittedly only for one match, up to now. Where were Allardyce’s motivating abilities, with nothing to lose, or do you really think Sam was a better manager than a lot of fans of various clubs give him credit for?

I agree with this but who’s to know Ferguson’s ideas and “brainy tactical bit” aren’t good anyhow. The man can clearly motivate but we’re stereoptyping to think that a no nonsense centre forward has no tactical nous. From all accounts, he’s obsessed with football and a real thinker from things I’ve read. Let’s wait and see.

Was referring implicitly to his assessment of himself.

Well this season the players who have ‘ Got us in the cack’ gave us the best day we have had for a long time yesterday, motivated by a temporary manager, admittedly only for one match, up to now. Where were Allardyce’s motivating abilities, with nothing to lose, or do you really think Sam was a better manager than a lot of fans of various clubs give him credit for?

Its hard to motivate the players while you are always at your Villa in Majorca....

I met Sam at a charity dinner at Old Trafford a few years ago. A tribute to SAF, with his best friends in attendance...Sam, Wilf McGuinness, Bryan Robson, Smith the ex Blackburn manager, Peter Reid, Mick Hucknall, Tony Christie,Billy McNeill. Moyes was not there. Had a conversation with Reidy and Big Sam, and Sam was amusing, and talked a lot of sense about football. I think his frustration is that he's been categorised as a 'quick fix saviour' because he does that job so well, when in fact he would rather be considered as a good progressive manager, which he was at Bolton. I think his abrasive attitude towards supporters is reactive ...he answers back with the best of them, and he does give a helluva lot to charity. I think if he had been given a second season at Everton, we would have played a more positive brand of football. But Moshiri was obsessed with getting Silva.

I am not sure his football was ever particularly positive at Bolton, generally it was always quite effective, as the kindest I could say about it.

That being said, I think Allardyce would have probably finished us, and kept us in the top 8.

His big issue though, as you alluded to above was his ego. He went out of his way to annoy the supporters. All the nonsense about Everton not being bigger than West Ham/Newcastle and congratulating himself on wins etc. He will probably never recognise it, but the biggest obstacle to him getting the top jobs has been his own lack of humility.

I think the emboldened phrase suggests you realise the basis of your thinking is not only premature but not really valid.

A good portion of this squad was "upgraded" from the crew Sam inherited so by any basic reason improving the squad should mean they are capable of better results. The fact they haven't is something none of us really understand but a single game is not enough to draw any long term conclusions at all.

Where Sam had a long tenure - Bolton - he was very successful but his initial "don't concede" method upsets the locals and they have a pop he has a pop back and he's finished. It happened at every club since Bolton including ours

Status
Not open for further replies.