Duncan Ferguson - The Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know why hair hands loves Sam so much. Sam had 11 behind the ball and standing in a very rigid shape with no tempo , intensity or excitement. We had games where we never had a shot on goal. He was set up to not concede and hope for a set piece. He knew that simply stopping goals would be enough for him to do a “good job”. He also was sacked by England for taking illegal payments and has often trolled fans of the club he is currently managing. He is nothing like duncan , especially when it comes to Efc , Sam was our for Sam , Dunc is all about efc. Dunc has had one game and I said this when watching last night , “ this game reminds me of Dunc’s first game under royle”. Everton fans love passion and the staudium yesterday sounded like nothing I have heard for about 3-4 years. Sam didn’t have a single performance like that or an atmosphere like that in the whole time he was here and Dunc has done it on day one. Richard keys comparing Sam to the dogs of war? I enjoyed watching us play that style of football, it’s connects the team to the fans and gives them a chance to shout and cheer and get the team going. We beat the RS home and away playing like that, we beat Man U, we won the cup and we had players that our fans would support purely on their effort and pride for the shirt. Dogs of war style football is very basic but can be very exciting and entertaining and even when we finished 5th with Bobby I found our games boring. I love blood and thunder football , proper British style , hard, fighting , determined , all for one style football and goodison responds whenever it is on display , I can’t beleive so many managers have failed to recognise this
well put Tel

He showed 2 things I pray the next manager understands

1. Footy is a simple game don't complicate it with over emphasis on tactics

2. If players are motivated they are transformed

Well in big Dunc, shades of "proper" Everton there shoving it to one of the "elite" AND putting a bit of distance betwixt us and the relegation monkeys. Lovely. :D

I don’t know why hair hands loves Sam so much. Sam had 11 behind the ball and standing in a very rigid shape with no tempo , intensity or excitement. We had games where we never had a shot on goal. He was set up to not concede and hope for a set piece. He knew that simply stopping goals would be enough for him to do a “good job”. He also was sacked by England for taking illegal payments and has often trolled fans of the club he is currently managing. He is nothing like duncan , especially when it comes to Efc , Sam was our for Sam , Dunc is all about efc. Dunc has had one game and I said this when watching last night , “ this game reminds me of Dunc’s first game under royle”. Everton fans love passion and the staudium yesterday sounded like nothing I have heard for about 3-4 years. Sam didn’t have a single performance like that or an atmosphere like that in the whole time he was here and Dunc has done it on day one. Richard keys comparing Sam to the dogs of war? I enjoyed watching us play that style of football, it’s connects the team to the fans and gives them a chance to shout and cheer and get the team going. We beat the RS home and away playing like that, we beat Man U, we won the cup and we had players that our fans would support purely on their effort and pride for the shirt. Dogs of war style football is very basic but can be very exciting and entertaining and even when we finished 5th with Bobby I found our games boring. I love blood and thunder football , proper British style , hard, fighting , determined , all for one style football and goodison responds whenever it is on display , I can’t beleive so many managers have failed to recognise this
Agree with a lot of that but I think Richard Keys takes the view Sam is unfairly maligned and doesn't get the credit his Bolton work deserves. Sam was innovative at Bolton introducing computer analysis, dieticians, state of the art conditioning etc and canny enough to utilise top players from europe by squeezing a last hurrah from the tail end of their careers. But Andy Gray is also correct in his "bad fit" description as Sam's "method" of firstly getting results by lowest common denomiator football is not going to fit the school of science motif long term.

The real puzzler is why when Sam rescues clubs do fans then turn on him so viciously? Imo it's because he's too prickly getting wound up over criticism at the drop of a hat and instead of saying something along the lines of "don't worry it's a means to an end just wait till next year with new signings" he starts popping off at fans and no manager wins that battle.

Your remarks on a "proper British style" are spot on the heathens over at monkey island built a footballing empire through Shankly on such endeavour it's long overdue we did the same

Mourinho was known as the translator at Barcelona and turned out to be a great manager.

Can Duncan Ferguson, the 'cone layer', becomes Everton's greatest manager?

Yesterday, there were shades of Klopp and Simeone in him in the way he galvanised the crowed, yet it that was his natural demeanour. No one will really know how he would perform tactically or build a team. However, no one can deny what Ferguson did yesterday against a really good Chelsea side. As we're fighting against relegation then we need a strong leader. That man can only be Big Duncan.

No one will really know how he would perform tactically or build a team. However, no one can deny what Ferguson did yesterday against a really good Chelsea side. As we're fighting against relegation then we need a strong leader. That man can only be Big Duncan.
Spot on, i certainly want the guy to do very well if its only to keep Moyes as far away as possible. The thing i cannot get my head around there is at least 2 members on here who just rip into Ferguson at every opportunity and want the guy to fail in eveything he does and they call themselves Evertonians...Very strange people !!!

The energy and enthusiasm shown on the touch line was exactly what us fans needed.

Some say he was only an average player, did not score many goals but there is more to be the no 9 than that as those of who seen him play realise just like the way DCL played today getting into the defenders with his strength.

Some like Davek have little time for Dunc but what they fail to recognise is that he is one of us, true and real fan of the club. I can well believe he would be happy standing in GSE cheering the team.

I will he is one of us, he is an Evertonian.

Agree with a lot of that but I think Richard Keys takes the view Sam is unfairly maligned and doesn't get the credit his Bolton work deserves. Sam was innovative at Bolton introducing computer analysis, dieticians, state of the art conditioning etc and canny enough to utilise top players from europe by squeezing a last hurrah from the tail end of their careers. But Andy Gray is also correct in his "bad fit" description as Sam's "method" of firstly getting results by lowest common denomiator football is not going to fit the school of science motif long term.

The real puzzler is why when Sam rescues clubs do fans then turn on him so viciously? Imo it's because he's too prickly getting wound up over criticism at the drop of a hat and instead of saying something along the lines of "don't worry it's a means to an end just wait till next year with new signings" he starts popping off at fans and no manager wins that battle.

Your remarks on a "proper British style" are spot on the heathens over at monkey island built a footballing empire through Shankly on such endeavour it's long overdue we did the same

I met Sam at a charity dinner at Old Trafford a few years ago. A tribute to SAF, with his best friends in attendance...Sam, Wilf McGuinness, Bryan Robson, Smith the ex Blackburn manager, Peter Reid, Mick Hucknall, Tony Christie,Billy McNeill. Moyes was not there. Had a conversation with Reidy and Big Sam, and Sam was amusing, and talked a lot of sense about football. I think his frustration is that he's been categorised as a 'quick fix saviour' because he does that job so well, when in fact he would rather be considered as a good progressive manager, which he was at Bolton. I think his abrasive attitude towards supporters is reactive ...he answers back with the best of them, and he does give a helluva lot to charity. I think if he had been given a second season at Everton, we would have played a more positive brand of football. But Moshiri was obsessed with getting Silva.

Mourinho was known as the translator at Barcelona and turned out to be a great manager.

Yesterday, there were shades of Klopp and Simeone in him in the way he galvanised the crowed, yet it that was his natural demeanour. No one will really know how he would perform tactically or build a team. However, no one can deny what Ferguson did yesterday against a really good Chelsea side. As we're fighting against relegation then we need a strong leader. That man can only be Big Duncan.
Duncan's personal qualities and enthusiasm for the club, if mixed with quality coaches beneath him could be a potent force. Not sure he could do it on his own.

You know that level of intensity is impossible to maintain mate.

The last time we saw it was when we beat a much better Chelsea team in the cup QF a few years back. It's rare.

We need a manager who is experienced with a progressive way of playing and who can get the players playing through a method week in week out, not on pure gut emotion one week in 12.
Mate yesterday WAS progressive, we progressed from losing to winning.
We progressed from not enjoying it to loving it.

As for Intensity? why can't they, they have the legs, they always had the legs.
Intensity is all in the head to drive the legs.
Klopp has had the rs doing it for 3 years or more.
There's no can't in these matters only won't

As for a Progressive way of playing, we've had modern managers and they've bombed
We brought in Allardyce...the ultimate none progressive to pull them out of the mess these progressive coaches got themselves into.

I think you want him to not succeed because he's Big Dunc the pretend legend and not a real legend...
Ive got news for you he was what we needed when we needed him in the 90s
He may just be what we need now
How long for?
Who knows

I'll settle for one game at a time

So should you.

Last edited:
I met Sam at a charity dinner at Old Trafford a few years ago. A tribute to SAF, with his best friends in attendance...Sam, Wilf McGuinness, Bryan Robson, Smith the ex Blackburn manager, Peter Reid, Mick Hucknall, Tony Christie,Billy McNeill. Moyes was not there. Had a conversation with Reidy and Big Sam, and Sam was amusing, and talked a lot of sense about football. I think his frustration is that he's been categorised as a 'quick fix saviour' because he does that job so well, when in fact he would rather be considered as a good progressive manager, which he was at Bolton. I think his abrasive attitude towards supporters is reactive ...he answers back with the best of them, and he does give a helluva lot to charity. I think if he had been given a second season at Everton, we would have played a more positive brand of football. But Moshiri was obsessed with getting Silva.
This will always continue to baffle me. What on earth did he see that no one else did after his time at Watford and Hull. He was unfortunate here with injuries but come on, he was never going to be the next mourinho or whatever Moshiri thought he was!

Duncan got one tactic right...a genuine two up front. Way to go at home,at least. Next weekend will be fascinating...United away ...how will Duncan approach the game(if he gets the chance)

My view entirely

I think his frustration is that he's been categorised as a 'quick fix saviour' because he does that job so well, when in fact he would rather be considered as a good progressive manager, which he was at Bolton. I think his abrasive attitude towards supporters is reactive ...he answers back with the best of them, and he does give a helluva lot to charity. I think if he had been given a second season at Everton, we would have played a more positive brand of football. But Moshiri was obsessed with getting Silva.
I disagree completely. He wasn't progressive in his playing style at Bolton, only in his off-pitch approach (dieticians, data analysis etc). His Bolton team was horrible to watch, as has been every other team he's managed. The situation he's been in has suited him perfectly. Play awful football and get labelled as a firefighter, play a constant tale of "poor me" to the media knowing you're never likely going to have to back it up. He's football's Nigel Farage.

It's been said that Marco's command of English might have hampered him somewhat in communicating with the players. I can see that might be true. So I wonder how the players got on in the Chelsea game understanding Duncan's Scottish burr?

"Jest git oot there and gey intae 'em. CAM ORN!!"

Not intending to downplay his tactical knowledge.....I'm sure he gave them more complex instructions about shape etc which he spoke about post match.

I do wonder how all these different nationalities work together with phrases like
"foot in"
"put yer laces through it"
"in their faces"
"row z"
"man on"
etc

None of which appear in doulingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.