Drop Arteta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only has Arteta looked a better player the last 2 games playing in the middle he has looked like a player who is hungry and keen to impress as well.

The 2 errors against Villa which he was a part of were not the only reason a goal was conceded. First he got caught in possesion and should of done better but the goal still could of been stopped until Sidwell struck it, and the second he should of controlled it and we would of had a point but the defence still had their heads in dreamland so a goal shouldn't of been scored even after Artetas mistake.

Agree with taking him off set pieces though. Although they have been better as of late theres still a hell of a lot which dont beat the first man. Let him take some but let Ossie/Pienaar/AVDM/someone else take some as well.

RULE NUMBER TWO,

draw massive inferences from someone's Avatar.

(for the record I think Van Der Meyde has been a [Poor language removed] waste of time, but I'm keeping it for my own sense of amusement.)

- I've had this avatar since toffee web forum days.

Last edited:
Ive seen you write in the past about AVDM, i know you dont have much time for him, thats why you should be aware what i said about him, should not reflect on you.

I could have warned you mate had I seen the title of this thread earlier . This board is viciously Pro Arteta and even the slightest questioning of him brings forth death threats from Connected North Liverpool posters :oops:

Ive seen you write in the past about AVDM, i know you dont have much time for him, thats why you should be aware what i said about him, should not reflect on you.

then why the incendiary post?

aah well, we are all blues. so peace dude.

I think its important to ask questions. I for one would probs not drop arteta, although I would consider putting my arm round him and finding out what's wrong.

I think cahill needs a fire up his ass to be honest as he's just not playing well.

I'm unsure that arteta in a carsley role is really gonna work for us or utilise arteta's best attributes in the long term, although its worth pursuing for the moment after two good performances bar mistakes.

I think we need to address this position again come the summer or more preferably january. I thought Castillo was the solution here but for some reason Moyes obviously doesn't rate him much.

A shame fernades aint here as he could of made it his own.

On the plus side, we are less likely to punt forward with arteta quarterbacking our midfield (for want of a [Poor language removed] analogy) although that still leaves a back four that is more prone to the hopeful punt than I prefer.

He hasn't hit the heights this season and I don't think he's right as the holding player in the English game. Technically he's good and can build moves from the back, but defensively he isn't what we need from that position.

With our striking limitations it makes perfect sense to use 5 in midfield. That 5 in my opinion should consist of a holding midfielder (Castillo), a creator (Arteta), a box to box (Fellaini/Cahill if he regains form), Pienaar, Osman/a rejuvenated VDM.

That midfield for me has a good balance and the inclusion of a dedicated holding player would allow the full backs to push on much more than they currently do.

At the moment though the balance isn't right. Having Fellaini and Cahill in the middle give us two players, both of whom aren't great on the ball, which places too much pressure on Arteta and often forces the ball to go long.

i think the phrase "normally sparkles on the pitch" is questionable tbh as his bad performances have outweighed his good ones. it goes to show how good he can be though that he is still considered that way when he hasnt done the business for quite some time.

fernandes had the chance last season to prove his worth...........and failed, leaving it to the last couple of games doesn't cut the mustard at a club like Everton. some say that we had our chance and blew it, i say he had it and blew it myself.

Last edited:
He hasn't hit the heights this season and I don't think he's right as the holding player in the English game. Technically he's good and can build moves from the back, but defensively he isn't what we need from that position.

With our striking limitations it makes perfect sense to use 5 in midfield. That 5 in my opinion should consist of a holding midfielder (Castillo), a creator (Arteta), a box to box (Fellaini/Cahill if he regains form), Pienaar, Osman/a rejuvenated VDM.

That midfield for me has a good balance and the inclusion of a dedicated holding player would allow the full backs to push on much more than they currently do.

At the moment though the balance isn't right. Having Fellaini and Cahill in the middle give us two players, both of whom aren't great on the ball, which places too much pressure on Arteta and often forces the ball to go long.

good post.

I prefer arteta complimenting pienaar on either wing with a holding mid, a creator and a box to box type player.

Only he hasn't looked like the winger we knew from the last two seasons.

We need a good holding midfielder as much as we need another striker IMO.

I can see what your saying, I'd certainly rather see him in a more attacking central postion. Similar to the role Osman played last season.

But I disagree on the balance, in the last two games we have looked better than we have all season. And that includedes when we used a holding midfielder (Castillo). I'm not saying it's perfect balance but I honestly don't think we've got the right players to get the balance spot on.

I thought his defensive game was very good against Villa. He was winning tackles and holding his position well. I'd definatly like to see him further forward in the future though...

Status
Not open for further replies.