2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's obvious who the better winger is (Rashford) and who the better striker is (Dominic Calvert-Lewin).

I don't really care who the better "footballer" is just as I wouldn't if we were comparing Lucas Digne and Messi because they don't do the same things.

Digne is obviously better...

How people can have anything but praise for DCL is mental given his current goal scoring. He isn’t a Lukaku who could play up top on his own but like most of the premierships best goal scorers plays best when he has a foil alongside him.
Ferguson deserves immense credit not only for being brave enough to immediately change the system to play to DCL’s strengths but also with the work done on the training ground. Coupled with Ancelotti telling him to stay up front and work more in the box rather than helping out at right back and you can see he is a completely different player. He is getting in positions now to finish moves because he isn’t getting flogged Moyes style tracking back.
In terms of footballing ability he isn’t in the same category as Richarlison, but not many are and that is a high barometer to judge any player currently. What he has become though is a hugely influential player who does a lot of work for the team and now scores goals.
The comparison with Volland doesn’t ring true either as lots of DCL’s early games were spent on the wing and that he is playing in a superior league. You could also argue that when Volland signed for Leverkusen he was already a ‘name’ whereas we signed Dom as a 1.5 mil punt that has come good.
In short, Dcl isn’t a great footballer but is becoming an effective pl striker. He’s no Richarlison but I’d have him over the Kevin Vollands of this world everyday who stink of Vincent Janssen or Ricky van wolfswinkle. He will also be worth well more than 40 mill in today’s mad market, especially with papers linking Utd with an interest. Goal scorer and English premium will push his price up to £60 mil and beyond by the end of the season. Also he definitely is no coward and along with the other youngsters in Richarlison and Holgate is one of the few who has any snide and prepared to throw an equaliser in.

Back on topic: I know what I think DCL would get us in terms of a fee right now: £25M-£30M - absolute top whack.

We should go for Kevin Volland at Leverkusen. Almost a 1:2 goals per game ratio for them since 2016. €18M they paid for him. An utter steal.

I'm no Bundesliga expert, but other than Aubameyang i can't think of another striker who has scored 20+ goals per season in the Bundesliga and then has gone on to do it in the BPL too. Think signing a striker from Germany would almost always be a waste of money.

His record doesn't suggest as much though. In terms of goals from open play Calvert Lewin is well ahead of him in fact, and in fairness probably contributes a lot more to the team in terms of hold up play.

It's funny how people seem to assume the grass is greener.
I have no idea how anyone would have DCL over Rashford. None.

I'm no Bundesliga expert, but other than Aubameyang i can't think of another striker who has scored 20+ goals per season in the Bundesliga and then has gone on to do it in the BPL too. Think signing a striker from Germany would almost always be a waste of money.
Klinsmann.

The parallel is moot in any case. There hasn't been that many German striker imports.

Take away rashfords 5 pens and he’s still scored 14 goals in all comps, more than dcl, and that’s mainly from the wing

Rashford has scored 9 league goals from open play this season, 2 less than Calvert Lewin. He also has a freer wide role, where as Calvert Lewin has had to spend a lot of time doing the donkey work through the middle.

I have no idea how anyone would have DCL over Rashford. None.

No perhaps not, but is this an issue with perception. With young players you see their weaknesses and that memory tends to stick and be hard to shift.

I saw similar with Lukaku and Barkley. A lot of people were happy Lukaku went because it became easy to focus on his weaknesses that were particularly apparent when he first arrived. Likewise a similar process with Barkley. Whereas if you buy closer to the finished product you don't see them.

The numbers don't lie. In terms of open play goals in the league this season Calvert Lewin is well ahead having played less minutes. That is just a fact.

Likewise I think it would be generally accepted that Calvert Lewin does a lot of unselfish work beyond the goals (hold up play, winning headers, running channels etc) that Rashford doesn't do. Even his critics have always accepted his stuff aside from goals has always been very good.

I really like Rashford as well, so it's not an either or for me. But that just strengthens my view that Calvert Lewin must be doing very well ifhis numbers hold up favourably to Rashford.

Sorry but rashford is a level about DCL much more dangerous with the ball at his feet

But what does this mean? He is better than Calvert Lewin because he dribbles better (which he does). He's more pleasing on the eye. However Calvert Lewin is much better in the air. He's much better at holding the ball up. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

When you boil it down though, the numbers for Calvert Lewin, open play goals in the league are far higher than for Rashford.

But what does this mean? He is better than Calvert Lewin because he dribbles better (which he does). He's more pleasing on the eye. However Calvert Lewin is much better in the air. He's much better at holding the ball up. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

When you boil it down though, the numbers for Calvert Lewin, open play goals in the league are far higher than for Rashford.

ahh mate come on, not just saying this because I've been a critic of DCL but rashford is better than DCL

Why? What measures show this? Because he's Englands golden boy?

nothing to do with that, he's just obviously a better player

lets get it right here, if your talking who's been better in the past 2 months then not many players in the premiership have been more consistent than DCL but if your talking who is a better player in general, Rashford is currently a level above DCL

nothing to do with that, he's just obviously a better player

lets get it right here, if your talking who's been better in the past 2 months then not many players in the premiership have been more consistent than DCL but if your talking who is a better player in general, Rashford is currently a level above DCL

I think he's asking what metric defines the word 'better'.

Status
Not open for further replies.