2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
A mixed bag of results he had. A win and two draws and a cup defeat. And the performances dipped in the final two. We needed a real manager or that lot would have been on the floor again.

looking at what he replying to i think he means credit for DCL's development (playing 2 up top etc), not the upturn in form specifically,

But what does this mean? He is better than Calvert Lewin because he dribbles better (which he does). He's more pleasing on the eye. However Calvert Lewin is much better in the air. He's much better at holding the ball up. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

When you boil it down though, the numbers for Calvert Lewin, open play goals in the league are far higher than for Rashford.
apples and oranges its hard to compare different types of players. DCL is a very good CF and is starting to add goals to his game. I'm still somewhat doubtful
if he will be somebody we can rely on at the top level but I'm reasonably confident he will be able to. Rashford is lightening quick with a fantastic ability to get past
players and very reasonable production for a wide forward/ striker.Personally for me he has more ability and is more likely to make things happen but we will seei spose.

I think he's asking what metric defines the word 'better'.

well I know what he wants me to say, "goals"

whereas he has already pointed out DCL has more goals from open play this season

things like this don't require stats to prove points, you just need to watch them both play and gauge your own opinion

nothing to do with that, he's just obviously a better player

lets get it right here, if your talking who's been better in the past 2 months then not many players in the premiership have been more consistent than DCL but if your talking who is a better player in general, Rashford is currently a level above DCL

Thats fair enough and your view, but I would say the stats don't really support it. I think Rashford is easier on the eye and more skilful than Calvert Lewin, but Calvert Lewin does a lot of "donkey work" which is often not as praised but just as important. Their goal stats are then very similar (but overall DCL's are better in the league).

DCL is playing well, but for me he’s not a great striker. The one he put way above an open goal showed lack of composure. I remember Jimmy Greaves saying that he didn’t mind missing the odd one because he would always put the next one away. I don’t get the feeling that DCL would ever say something like that......

looking at what he replying to i think he means credit for DCL's development (playing 2 up top etc), not the upturn in form specifically,
I see.

But even there: how has Ferguson (who was dominant in the air and aggressive) impacted on this player? DCL is so timid in aerial duels.

Rashford and DCL are two very different players IMO, the best parts of each others game are different, If you combined those parts in to one player they'd still be short of world class at this current moment.

apples and oranges its hard to compare different types of players. DCL is a very good CF and is starting to add goals to his game. I'm still somewhat doubtful
if he will be somebody we can rely on at the top level but I'm reasonably confident he will be able to. Rashford is lightening quick with a fantastic ability to get past
players and very reasonable production for a wide forward/ striker.Personally for me he has more ability and is more likely to make things happen but we will seei spose.

I think this is fair. As I said above, Rashford is certainly "easier on the eye" but I do think Calvert Lewin makes a big contribution outside of goals as well. It's probably not as eye catching as Rashfords but it's still there.

I also think playing together they'd be very dangerous and a good contrast.

Thats fair enough and your view, but I would say the stats don't really support it. I think Rashford is easier on the eye and more skilful than Calvert Lewin, but Calvert Lewin does a lot of "donkey work" which is often not as praised but just as important. Their goal stats are then very similar (but overall DCL's are better in the league).

Rashford has the ability to win games on his own for united which he has had to do numerous times for united this season, he has the ability to score ridiculous goals for united, he can grab them by the scruff of the neck

he's done it for a longer period of time, in the league, cups, CL and even been decent for England

not saying DCL doesn't win games for everton as well, because he has been, but he needs to do it over a longer period of time

DCL is playing well, but for me he’s not a great striker. The one he put way above an open goal showed lack of composure. I remember Jimmy Greaves saying that he didn’t mind missing the odd one because he would always put the next one away. I don’t get the feeling that DCL would ever say something like that......

I think there are 2 hinges worth noting. The first is Calvert Lewin does not have the natural goalscorer instinct. The other is, you can learn to get better at those things (and he has done).

For me the two players who had that best (I've seen) are Jeffers and oddly Moise Kean. I'm sure those a little older would point to Cottee and Lineker (maybe Latchford for those more my dads age!)

You can see Kean doesn't need any real training on how to score goals. When he missed the shot at Watford, watch him bounce up before anyone else and put himself back into the position where he gets a tap in if the shot is scuffed or saved. This is all instinct. I'd also add the way he delayed his shot against Newcastle as he instinctively waited for the defender to move, for me thats just all instinct.

Calvert Lewin doesn't really have that at all, but he has got better. I like the fact he got a tap in. I like the fact he missed a good chance too, as he's putting himself in better positions. However it does feel a learned behaviour with him.

We are splitting hairs here though. I mean Greaves was one of the best ever. Calvert Lewin is scoring a goal every 150 minutes this season which is outstanding. He's incredibly powerful, good in the air and quick. He will get lots of chances. Even with quite moderate improvements he's got to a point where he would score 20+ this season had he played enough (and this is far greater post Silva). In the medium term he will be absolutely fine for us.

The ideal for me is that he continues this form, gets to 18-20 league goals and starts at the Euro's and we get a huge bid for him. I know the initial talk was at bids starting at £50million before his latest scoring streak. I'd say that was already at £75million now and will likely go upwards if he continues. I'd be quite happy to move him on for those figures.

I'm no Bundesliga expert, but other than Aubameyang i can't think of another striker who has scored 20+ goals per season in the Bundesliga and then has gone on to do it in the BPL too. Think signing a striker from Germany would almost always be a waste of money.

Dzeko and possibly Firminho are the only ones I can think of.

Rashford has the ability to win games on his own for united which he has had to do numerous times for united this season, he has the ability to score ridiculous goals for united, he can grab them by the scruff of the neck

he's done it for a longer period of time, in the league, cups, CL and even been decent for England

not saying DCL doesn't win games for everton as well, because he has been, but he needs to do it over a longer period of time

Fair enough.It's worth noting their scoring records in the league have been pretty similar over a long period. I think Rashford is more eye catching in what he can do, I would agree with that, and is more of a "natural" easy on the eye footballer. I would counter by saying though, had he been playing under Allardyce or Silva teams, serviced by some of the rubbish we've had I don't think he'd have looked half the player he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.