2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've come to accept that he's going to have to be paid at least as much as Niasse in on.

I don't think he has it in him to drop the shoulder and beat a man, or to create something out of nothing when the team is struggling. He's a good athlete who is improving where he can - most notably with his movement in and around the box - but I don't see the makings of a talisman who is going to lead the line in a successful team. There's also the issue of whether or not he can function as a lone striker, considering how long it's been since anyone won a trophy or even qualified for the Champions League playing 4-4-2.

Overall, I think he's OK, but if the club is going to hide behind the wage bill as an excuse for not bringing in better players, fans are going to question why they're sanctioning bumper paydays for the current crop.
I get what you mean. I think playing as a loan striker won't be a problem if the system is competent enough to get people near him. He was being asked to play way too alone. No one can handle that.

Also Atletico have been quite good in 4-4-2 recently and of course Leicester's title was exclusively 4-4-2. It can still happen with the right set up.

I get what you mean. I think playing as a loan striker won't be a problem if the system is competent enough to get people near him. He was being asked to play way too alone. No one can handle that.

Also Atletico have been quite good in 4-4-2 recently and of course Leicester's title was exclusively 4-4-2. It can still happen with the right set up.
Both good examples, to be fair.

Funny you should mention that Leicester team, too, because I was thinking during the game that what this system needs is a Mahrez on the right.

Both good examples, to be fair.

Funny you should mention that Leicester team, too, because I was thinking during the game that what this system needs is a Mahrez on the right.
Someone of that level would be great. But as it stands our system kind of mirrors them in that Bernard drifts while Walcott holds a bit wider like Albrighton did.

Someone of that level would be great. But as it stands our system kind of mirrors them in that Bernard drifts while Walcott holds a bit wider like Albrighton did.
Richarlison's willingness to pull out wide and do the hard yards would also allow for some flexibility.

Not sure where it leaves Iwobi, though. The team isn't really far enough along to be able to accommodate expensive substitutes.

the kid is really starting to blossom.

Bravo.

Still got huge upside potential. He is learning and improving all the time.

Looked a beast at times tonight.If he avoids injury, he will be pure hell for defenders to deal with by the time he is 27 or 28.

Richarlison's willingness to pull out wide and do the hard yards would also allow for some flexibility.

Not sure where it leaves Iwobi, though. The team isn't really far enough along to be able to accommodate expensive substitutes.
Honestly Iwobi could easily take Bernard's spot if he's allowed the same freedom we've seen Bernard get under Carlo. I know Bernard got an assist tonight but there was room for more and he was a bit wasteful.

Honestly Iwobi could easily take Bernard's spot if he's allowed the same freedom we've seen Bernard get under Carlo. I know Bernard got an assist tonight but there was room for more and he was a bit wasteful.
I must admit, as much as I regard him as my type of player, there are too many 'nearly' or 'right idea' moments from him.

Walcott created two huge chances tonight.

It'll never make sense to me why some players we have get passes and others get abuse no matter what they do.
I don't think that anyone gets a free pass anymore. In fact, I'd be surprised if there was a single player, other than maybe Richarlison, whose departure would raise a murmur from the fans.

As for Walcott, he's too peripheral to be playing a key role in the team. He hasn't looked like his heart is in it since he missed out on the England squad for the last World Cup.

I don't think that anyone gets a free pass anymore. In fact, I'd be surprised if there was a single player, other than maybe Richarlison, whose departure would raise a murmur from the fans.

As for Walcott, he's too peripheral to be playing a key role in the team. He hasn't looked like his heart is in it since he missed out on the England squad for the last World Cup.
Since Marco left he's done fine. Not good enough to say he should start forever, but good enough that he shouldn't be getting criticized weekly. And especially not tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.