2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant strike and there were good signs tonight with him and Kean

A lot of moments where he should have done better with final ball, chances etc but he's 21, weight of the support on his shoulders and he hasn't shirked that responsibility.

Beginning to be a ray light.
DCL and Richarlison, and potentially Kean, look like they could save us a hell of a lot of time and money whilst the midfield, defence and goalkeeping situations are rectified.
That front three, and I say with no reservations, could be good for the next 9/10 years with the way they are developing.

I'd still wary be of putting him on top money - mainly because we're constantly told that transfers are impossible due to the wage bill, and he's a bit basic in terms of what he has in his locker - but he's putting his senior teammates to shame at the moment.

He's on 20k p/w atm, an increase to anywhere from 40-60k p/w would make sense. Think he's shown he's at least good enough for any mid-level PL team.

I'd still wary be of putting him on top money - mainly because we're constantly told that transfers are impossible due to the wage bill, and he's a bit basic in terms of what he has in his locker - but he's putting his senior teammates to shame at the moment.
What about him is basic? I mean other than maybe the ability to dribble players consistently, which trait does he need to add? And I think adding that to his game makes him really close to top class.

Surely moving him up toward 75k isn't a problem.

He's on 20k p/w atm, an increase to anywhere from 40-60k p/w would make sense. Think he's shown he's at least good enough for any mid-level PL team.
I've come to accept that he's going to have to be paid at least as much as Niasse in on.

What about him is basic? I mean other than maybe the ability to dribble players consistently, which trait does he need to add? And I think adding that to his game makes him really close to top class.

Surely moving him up toward 75k isn't a problem.
I don't think he has it in him to drop the shoulder and beat a man, or to create something out of nothing when the team is struggling. He's a good athlete who is improving where he can - most notably with his movement in and around the box - but I don't see the makings of a talisman who is going to lead the line in a successful team. There's also the issue of whether or not he can function as a lone striker, considering how long it's been since anyone won a trophy or even qualified for the Champions League playing 4-4-2.

Overall, I think he's OK, but if the club is going to hide behind the wage bill as an excuse for not bringing in better players, fans are going to question why they're sanctioning bumper paydays for the current crop.

Status
Not open for further replies.