2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s had very, very little service so far this year. Same as Kean which is why neither of them are scoring. If we created more chances like last nights second goal he’d be well off the mark by now. Genuinely don’t think it’s our strikers problem, it’s the lack of decent chances being created for them.
Of course we need to create more chances for our strikers but the few he usually gets his finishing at times can be shocking for a premier league striker. Hell I remember him missing an open goal from a yard out a few seasons ago

As much as I don’t rate him, he’s our most in form striker and has to start for the next few games.

Silva always said it will take Kean time to get used to the league so no point playing him and getting some stupid 10 game without a goal run into him so early in his career here.

He's a funny one really and I'll go back on other things I've indicated just to be a bit contrary.

Against weaker PL teams he doesn't perform well enough. He's an odd one that lower league opponents he looks potent against and top PL teams he looks a handful against but it's those games in and around us he has not done enough. People used to have a go at Lukaku for being a flat track bully, but in truth having a guy who scores lots against sides around you is very valuable in this league.

Silva seems to be reticent to play to his strengths. He is never going to be silky or massively cute in his approach. His hold up play is ok but little more than that. Really he needs balls played up to him early and crosses put into the box early. I am surprised we don't do more of the former. You will hit a glass ceiling with such an approach, but it's a glass ceiling well above where we are at now.

The hope will be those two goals will give him confidence that he can kick on with going forward. Lets wait and see, but obviously well done to him yesterday.

I will take some issue with the "found his level" comments though. Does that mean all the other players who didn't score, like Richarlinson are lower than championship level? If he was scoring 2 goals a week in the championship very quickly he would be signed for a team playing at a higher level. Sometimes you have to show a bit of humility and say he had a good game and clearly has some abilities.

I don’t disagree with you as I think DCL offers a lot more than just goals but based on what we’ve seen up to now, Kean won’t be outscoring him.

Kean has started 2 games pal, one of which we played very well as a team the other the whole team was horrific

DCL done well last night but until he starts scoring in the prem I still don't think he's the answer

He’s had very, very little service so far this year. Same as Kean which is why neither of them are scoring. If we created more chances like last nights second goal he’d be well off the mark by now. Genuinely don’t think it’s our strikers problem, it’s the lack of decent chances being created for them.
I'd argue it's been this way for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.