2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think we are going have to accept this, Brands said he doesn’t want a striker that block DCL’s path and Big Dunc has hinted at it.

He’s a nuisance in the same way Shane Long is and is about as prolific in front of goal as him.

Won’t be finishing anywhere in this league if we can’t get minimum15 goals from our CF next season.

Can anyone really see him banging more than 10 in? Not me that’s for sure.

Think we are going have to accept this, Brands said he doesn’t want a striker that block DCL’s path and Big Dunc has hinted at it.

He’s a nuisance in the same way Shane Long is and is about as prolific in front of goal as him.

Won’t be finishing anywhere in this league if we can’t get minimum15 goals from our CF next season.

He’d definitely bang that Spanish midget.

DCL has improved as a player immensely with his in your face football but we are losing perspective. It is blatantly obvious for Everton to challenge we need someone who knows where the net is along with the in your face football or 7th,8th beckons again. If we only get 7th or 8th will that convince the better players to hang around. I like DCL but he is not a natural and it would be suicide to have him as our main striker.

would you be happy with Shane long leading the line? If the answer is rightly no, then why would you want someone who scores at a lesser rate and does the same dog without a bone act

If he improved the team and our overall play then yes, why wouldn't anyone want that?

He wouldn't of course but there is something to be said about having a better all round striker up front than a pure goalscorer.

We could do with another striker anyway regardless of how good or bad DLC is. If he gets injured we have very little else to replace him.

He’s a young striker trying to make his way....and when I say young, I mean in terms of the average age of proven premier league goal scorers. I’d rather he learned his trade at Everton than elsewhere because continuity breeds understanding of patterns of play, how supporting players think and play etc.
He’s very clearly not totally equipped to lead the line week-in week-out for us, but the benefit he’d get from working and learning alongside a proven, experienced goal scorer is immeasurable. It’s a win-win situation for Everton if we find that 20+ a season goal scorer.
My main concern with DCL isn’t his finishing, it’s his lack of use of his physical attributes. It seems I’m alone in this as most see his aggression and physicality as his main contribution. I’ve watched games this season where he’s mistimed every jump for a header, been a yard or two too far off his centre back to cause them any issues and positionally unaware. I just think for his size, age and speed he should be lugging defenders up a bit more....but maybe it’s unfair to expect him to boss experienced pro’s routinely.

I’d certainly give the lad a couple more seasons to see how he develops, but not as the main forward we rely on to move us forward.

He’s a young striker trying to make his way....and when I say young, I mean in terms of the average age of proven premier league goal scorers. I’d rather he learned his trade at Everton than elsewhere because continuity breeds understanding of patterns of play, how supporting players think and play etc.
He’s very clearly not totally equipped to lead the line week-in week-out for us, but the benefit he’d get from working and learning alongside a proven, experienced goal scorer is immeasurable. It’s a win-win situation for Everton if we find that 20+ a season goal scorer.
My main concern with DCL isn’t his finishing, it’s his lack of use of his physical attributes. It seems I’m alone in this as most see his aggression and physicality as his main contribution. I’ve watched games this season where he’s mistimed every jump for a header, been a yard or two too far off his centre back to cause them any issues and positionally unaware. I just think for his size, age and speed he should be lugging defenders up a bit more....but maybe it’s unfair to expect him to boss experienced pro’s routinely.

I’d certainly give the lad a couple more seasons to see how he develops, but not as the main forward we rely on to move us forward.
I tend to agree for the most part but o think this is one area of his game which improved greatly in the last couple of months of the season. Particularly at home united/Arsenal. Although he could have been better away Palaca/Fulham.

I can

Last season, Dom averaged a goal every 247 minutes, thats a goal every 2.7 games

Lets say he IS our starting striker next season and starts 35 games(take 5/6 away for a rest or injury, could be more with cup runs)
Lets say he averages maybe 75 minutes every one of those 35 games.
Thats 2625 minutes of football he could get next season
2625 devided by the 247 = 10.6 goals

And thats without him improving on his average goals per minute from last season (he may also get a chance on penaltys with sigurdssons poor record)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.