2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just about missing sitters though.

Again I want to point out that i'm not slating him here or saying he can't improve on this, but I think people are being a little too forgiving about the lack of goal threat in general.

If you don't recall him missing any chances, and he's only got 6 goals, then that tells it's own story I think, that he needs to improve on his ability to get chances. There was an example in the second half on sunday where Sigurdsson teed him up at the edge of the box and I think the entire ground expected him to hit it. He didn't though, he took a touch, maybe 2, and then passed it. It's that type of thing that he needs to work on, it was a chance but he didn't even get a shot away. It's all very well lauding him for running round when we're winning 4-0 but if he does that at 0-0 we're all going mad, hence you remembering him missing a chance at Fulham when we lost but not at West Ham when we won. The other players won't always score the goals we need, he has to be able to get his fair share too, and I think that's all anybody is saying in here.

It's freak ffs

How can anyone take some of these posts serious.... got fanboys who still burn a candle for fatty who United can't get rid of quick enough.....
He plays awful in a derby game and comes out saying he wants to go to Italy.... what an absolute bottler and mercenary.
I agree with you on Lukaku, i wouldn't want him back, DCL's attitude is much better but Lukaku is miles better than Dom, to say otherwise is just insanity.

I agree with you on Lukaku, i wouldn't want him back, DCL's attitude is much better but Lukaku is miles better than Dom, to say otherwise is just insanity.
I don't know that Lukaku is miles better, he does score loads more goals. So if that is the ONLY measure you are using then maybe.

But DCL is the main striker lol it’s totally different. You can’t have a single striker and him not be able to even hit the target when he’s through on goal

Giroud has shown that you can play well without scoring. It's not the aim with DCL - we do need him scoring goals - but if he's also playing well as a link up player that's also very useful and good for us.

Giroud has shown that you can play well without scoring. It's not the aim with DCL - we do need him scoring goals - but if he's also playing well as a link up player that's also very useful and good for us.
I think this highlights where there’s a bit of an issue with what’s being argued.

Giroud is not an out and out goal scorer, but he has a good goal scoring record. He scored between 16 and 24 goals in each of his seasons at arsenal, and has 35 international goals at better than 1 in 2.5. That’s a perfectly good record, just like the records of every other person who’s been named as a non scorer in this thread today by people desperately trying - and horribly failing - to make a valid point.

If DCL can score that amount of goals people will be happy, all people are saying is that the argument that not scoring is all good as long as you put a shift in against good teams and make yourself a nuisance, doesn’t really stand up.

I think this highlights where there’s a bit of an issue with what’s being argued.

Giroud is not an out and out goal scorer, but he has a good goal scoring record. He scored between 16 and 24 goals in each of his seasons at arsenal, and has 35 international goals at better than 1 in 2.5. That’s a perfectly good record, just like the records of every other person who’s been named as a non scorer in this thread today by people desperately trying - and horribly failing - to make a valid point.

If DCL can score that amount of goals people will be happy, all people are saying is that the argument that not scoring is all good as long as you put a shift in against good teams and make yourself a nuisance, doesn’t really stand up.
It stands up if his play is creating space for Richarlison and Sigurdsson to score game winning goals.Last time I checked it was a team game.

It stands up if his play is creating space for Richarlison and Sigurdsson to score game winning goals.Last time I checked it was a team game.

Well if that is the case then let us get someone else in that can create space for Siggy and Rico but also knows where the net is when 1 or both of those are having an off day.

This is getting twisted out of proportion now that DCL is now responsible for the goals Siggy and Rico have scored.

All we want is our striker to get goals. DCL is not there yet but no one is writing him off.

No it doesn’t. It’s really that simple.

I like DCL, I think he’s come in leaps and bounds and personally I think he can be good enough to be our main striker in time. To do that he needs to be able to score a decent amount of goals though, because you’re right, it’s a team game, and just expecting 2 players to carry our entire goal scoring burden is not how team games work.

Status
Not open for further replies.