2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you've missed the point.

He was highlighting that so far this season there isn't a single "20 goal a season" striker. No one else seems to have one, so how on earth are we expected to find one.

Plenty have scored 20 goals in total. Aguero, Aubemayang, Kane, Son, Hazard, Sterling, Salah, Mane

I still think we need another striker but Dom is growing on me. He can still get game time even if we buy a new striker. If he improves his decision making in the final 3rd he’s be a very good option.

Lukaku has bagged 20 goals a season for 4 seasons running, and could even do it again this season.

AS IF he wouldn't stroll back into our team. lollollol

If we had Lukaku playing with Siggy, Bernard, Gomes and Richarlison we would have won more games this season. Simple really.
I dint think it's an either/or. We need both types of player. I'd like to see us go and get a prolific goal scorer as I think it will help us in breaking down teams at the bottom end of the league, but DCL clearly is effective at a number of things and is a good option.

If he could score more regularly he'd be a fabulous player.

Has anyone got any ideas on who this prolific goal scorer could be, how much they would cost or if they would even consider playing for Everton. We need players who are young and developing with the potential to be that player in a year or so, because those are the players who will see Everton as a team that will allow them to develop and fulfill there potential and want to play for us, will be affordable (wages and fee) and more likely be available rather than on the shopping list of every Champions League club in Europe. DCL pretty much matches that criteria, who else does?

I’ll bite
Aguero: once in a generation striker very few sure things since no chance of signing a player of his caliber at any point of his career
Salah: Wing-forward completely different to DCL unobtainable after his Basel days
Auba: 3-4 years to late to snap him up started as wide forward before shifting centrally
Mane: Wide forward developed a lot since RBZ days would get blasted for a similar level signing to reply on goals.
Sterling: again wide player misses as many as he scores also plays for city who provide him with a buffet of chances
Kane: Academy product that developed 1-100 chance of happening unobtainable
Hazard: World class since the moment he started playing not known as a prolific scorer
Vardy: unusual path to goal scoring feats to old to be considered.

Point being is everyone wants a sure thing or better CF it’s impossble to predict these days and half the top scorers are wide players

Sorry bud, the last bit i said was sarcastic. My point was being 20 goals a season strikers are not exactly a dime a dozen. These players on this list are all world class or close to world class and play every minute of every game of the season (apart from Aguero), and are only just managing 20 goals a season.
They dont grow on trees, we have had 1 "20 goal a season striker" in the Premier League era, so id be quite happy with a "12 goal a season striker" and Richarlison & Siggy carrying on hopefully with there impressive hauls.
I believe, starting as striker next season, Dom can easily hit 10-14 goals

Thats a fair point. Goals is a worry. We have a lot of decent players who don't score an awful lot (Gomes, Gueye, Bernard etc). Calvert Lewin needs to improve his finishing, but we can become a competitive team if he can score 15 league goals in a season of playing (which he is not far off being). If I'm honest I would rejig others in the team before him as things stand.

I just don’t see the point in rejigging 2-3 players when we could solve the problem with one shrewd signing up front

There is no need to make Lukaku the standard bearer of what our primary striker should be. Lukaku had goals in him, no doubt, but he has massive holes in his game. He can slot. He's a big unit. He's fast.

He's also made of flubber and his depth perception on long balls is so weirdly bad. A big unit like him should dominate...he more often than not fails in those 1 v 1 scenarios.

Loved Rom when he was in his best form.

So often his strengths were never realized because his best is a very narrow window.

Dom is growing each game and I like what I see a lot. If our other forwards are producing 30 goals between them, there is no need for a 20+ goal scorer from his position. He is a handful to defend.

Agree, merely pointing out that the 20 goal strikers people call for are limited in other areas. If they are all round top players too, they are already at a top club or heading there, we wont be getting them. So we may have to sacrifice one set of skills in Dom for another in goalscoring prowess.

"We need a 20 goal a season striker"

This seasons leading goalscorer charts

Aguero 19
Salah 19
Aubamayang 19
Mane 18
Sterling 17
Kane 17
Hazard 17
Vardy 16

Loads of 20 goals a season strikers out there, i just cant understand how we havent got one

And apart from Vardy, look who they all play for. We cant sign these players. We have to try and create them.

Lukaku has bagged 20 goals a season for 4 seasons running, and could even do it again this season.

AS IF he wouldn't stroll back into our team. lollollol

If we had Lukaku playing with Siggy, Bernard, Gomes and Richarlison we would have won more games this season. Simple really.

Haha nope as Dom had the flick on that created the 1st and made the run across the defence creating the space for Gylfi's 2nd. I can almost guarantee that Lukaku would have been beaten in the air and made a different run, probably directly towards the goal in Gylfi's way with his arm pointing god knows where.

Plenty have scored 20 goals in total. Aguero, Aubemayang, Kane, Son, Hazard, Sterling, Salah, Mane

Yes they have but these are all top top players, already playing at mich better teams, we cannot attract this standard so its a pointless argument.

why? in his seasons here Mirallas and Barkley both reached double figures in goals.
This was in his last season with us. No-one got over 6 goals. That's why Koeman went out and bought 4.5million number 10s. And then played the best one on the left.

The debate around Calvert Lewin is unlikely to ever really be solved. If what you want from a centre forward is a lad who scored 20+ goals then I am not sure it's ever likely to be him on a regular basis. I don't completely rule it out, because he's got a lot of natural ability and shown an enormous propensity to improve but he's by no means a natural goalscorer.

If that is what people want, then that is very reasonable. My only contention would be, that in my lifetime of watching Everton we have had 1 such natural goalscorer. The year he scored more than 20 league goals he left. Any orthodox reading of our financial situation would indicate we could not really have afforded to pay him the wages needed to stay. I don't mean to be glib, but the likelihood is that we could not attract such a proven goalscorer and if we stumbled upon one it would be very difficult to get them to stay.

Calvert Lewin helps the team enormously though, in spite of not being the above. I watched on Saturday and felt that I would hate to play against him. He is quicker, stronger and now ore aggressive than you. It's hard to go tight or drop off him. I would have found him very hard to handle. Likewise if you played with him, you would absolutely love a lad like that in your team. As a defender, if you are stuck you can hit a ball 50 yards down a channel and he makes things happen. It will make you look a fantastic defender at playing the ball out, as he will make something of those punts.

He is now integral to how we are trying to play. On Saturday on at least half a dozen occasions in the first half he won balls he had no right too, or at the very least caused them to conceded possession deep into their half when we were on the back foot in a phase of play. That sort of stuff is invaluable. People talk of the high press a lot, but having a forward who can do what he does saps the energy and enthusiasm of that.

As a midfield player, you can press the Everton backline but you know you will be facing a ball going 40 yards over your head and a likelihood that when it lands it will be deep into your half where you need to be. After a period of time, you just stop pressing. Yes it allows the opposition to gain control in the game, but you don't have to keep doing mindless shuttles.

For me he will be here a while yet, and I am not expecting him to finish lots of chances at games like Fulham away, there will be many more games like that from him but it's a bit irrelevant as what he gives us in general. I hope he does start taking chances more for the record, but don't anticipate there will be enormous improvement or that there needs to be.

We are a mid table team and he is the perfect striker for where we are at. As and when we get to the top 6 level we can have a discussion about what is required from our strikers. However until then it seems to me to be a bit of a pointless discussion. Lets get to the position first before we have that discussion.

If we were smart, we would sign a young forward and ease them in next season with the intention of challenging Calvert Lewin for the season after.

He gives us something we have lacked for a while and something ive been banging on about for ages and that is battling qualities. Sometimes people over complicate football, with the information out there stats etc.

One fundamental thing has been true since the start until the end of football. You have to battle to win the right to play and that is something Dom has given us. Ive accused the team of being physical dominated by others and not having the heart to battle, i still believe that to an extent and it need addressing specifically in midfiled but i think what Dom has given us is a battling edge.

To expand on that it creates and energy, tempo and commitment around others. Its leading from the front. It cant be underestimated at all. i didnt think it would come from that position,but the lad is winnng his battles and setting a tempo for the team and earning us the foundation to play and triggering our quality.

Has anyone got any ideas on who this prolific goal scorer could be, how much they would cost or if they would even consider playing for Everton. We need players who are young and developing with the potential to be that player in a year or so, because those are the players who will see Everton as a team that will allow them to develop and fulfill there potential and want to play for us, will be affordable (wages and fee) and more likely be available rather than on the shopping list of every Champions League club in Europe. DCL pretty much matches that criteria, who else does?
I’d like Sebastian Haller from Frankfurt myself. Big man with a eye for goal and excellent link up play. Whether or not he would be attainable is a different question

I don’t watch football because I don’t watch RS games? Lol yeah your right , I’m sure this season would have been much more enjoyable if I decided to watch are most hated rivals winning every week.
Mate if you think DCL ia amazing and is the next Kane or sharp then fair play to you, I’d love to live in a world like that. Let’s just say we disagree and I think his finishing is crap and I would prefer a goal scorer as opposed to a work horse like we have had for our entire stay in the prem with they exception or the yak and rom. While you prefer a young Rondon and hope we sign the next Mbappe and Salah ok ?

No you don't watch football because you post like someone who doesn't understand the game. But your inability to see how DCL and Firmino have parallels further proves that.

You misinterpret posts the way you do the game all because you are full speed ahead on criticising a lad doing a transformational job for our team.

I get that but the case still stands , we do t score enough goals as a team . We struggle to create chances against poor sides and when he does get chances he isn’t clinical. He’s a nuisance and gives defenders a hard time but the way he plays lacks quality. What I mean by that is , he battles etc and when the ball bounces our way in games we can break and look great like the other day, when the ball isn’t bouncing our way he does not possess the quality to create any other way and isn’t clinical enough to score the one chance that he may get in a tight game. He can’t create his own chances and his shooting is bad , he can score headers but even then when the ball is wide a lot of the time he isn’t making the runs that natural scorers make, he just doesn’t have the knack. Having Bernard in the side doesn’t help because of his goal return he creates and more importantly he allows Digne to create and cross , siggy and richy both have good goal returns and they may improve on those next year but not that drastically. So where do the extra goals need to come from? The striker !

Since calvert lewin started as a striker the team has scored much more than it did before him.

Stop trying to find ways to discredit him which are untrue.

High scoring individuals do not always result in high scoring ,successful teams.
Wayne Clarke was a far more successful player for us than Lineker was.

Status
Not open for further replies.