2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why?

Not that this particularly aids my case, i've just seen a video from MNF and Carragher said something similar when he was talking about Dom's performance and how he outshone Lukaku.

In fairness, it wasn`t hard to outshine Lukaku.

I`m not knocking DCL by the way, it`s just that Brett Angel would`ve outshone Lukaku at the weekend.

I like Dom. He's my secret player crush. And he does pose a very interesting problem for us this summer.

He runs the hard yards and puts himself about, can't agree more with the comments on that front. But he hasn't proven to be the goalscorer we need, averaging roughly 1 in 4 all season, which isn't enough for a top six, starting striker (unless there are 3-4 players contributing 10-15 goals each from wide or midfield)

The problem is that he desperately needs games to improve those numbers next year and i'm not sure we'll be able to give them to him. I also would loathe to see him go out on loan (or sold, for that matter) as I still think there is a player in there. Very interesting summer ahead indeed, particularly for Dom who will be hoping that he's done enough to prevent a wedge being spent on a new starting CF, which won't resign him to the bench.

England U21 POTY last year.He'll be glancing around at the other lads who he shared that U21 dressing room with, the likes of Sancho, Wan-Bissaka, Sessegnon, Hudson-Odoi, Solanke, Grealish, Maddison and Loftus-Cheek who have either all moved for big fees, are playing big parts for their clubs or may all command big transfer fees this summer.

All of them have attracted interest from top teams at home and abroad. Even Lookman who's stock rose massively after the RBL loan, has seen his stock fall sharply since coming back and finding his playing time limited with our new signings - I'm sure he'll be considering his options this summer. If we do go into the market and make a big CF purchase, there's a good chance it will get DCL thinking too.
The only striker in that list is Dominic Solanke and DCL is at least twice the player he is. In his 2 seasons in the Premiership he has hardly played to be fair to him (581 minutes for the RS, 1 goal & 1 assist) and 323 minutes for Bournemouth (0 goals & 1 assist). So 1 goal for every 904 minutes of play, DCL scores every 168.5 minutes.

Hudson Odoi and Loftus Cheek have also been limited to minutes as they play for Chelsea and it's hard to break in. The others have played more first team football either to being in different leagues (Sancho & Grealish) or in teams with less competition (maybe with the exception of Maddison but he had a full season last year in the Championship).

Minutes of play really do matter in the development of young players, why do you think all the pundits go on about giving youth a chance. You can't make the switch to being a first team player in the 'mens' game if you aren't playing. Many believe that Loftus Cheek, Solanke & Hudson Odoi are real prospects and they will struggle to fulfill their potential if not playing (that is why Solanke went to Bournemouth from Liverpool and why Sancho is in Germany) Give DCL the minutes and he will get better.

What chances have you seen him miss which make you think he's a bad finisher? Obviously you will pick out the Fulham game but I'm sure there must be far more glaring misses for you to think this....

He pissed me right off at Newcastle. He had an easy lay off for siggy when it has just gone 2-1 but instead he swiveled and took a hard chance on and missed.

Didn't you give Walcott loads of [Poor language removed] for doing the same but scoring?

You are right it's not easy to remember many more because he offers virtually zero goal threat.

Oh I remember last season at the Etihad when he went through 1 on 1 in the last minute and messed it up... Similar to when your mate Lukaku went through twice at that same ground and bagged them both

If Lukaku and DCL were both put up for sale this summer one would have loads of interest from top clubs and one would have Newcastle and Southampton asking

Give DCL the minutes and he ill get better.

Precisely my point though mate. Will we continue to give him the minutes next year? Or will we go into the market and get a new striker. That's the area most fans have pinpointed as the area for improvement.

A starting striker who scores in 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 hasn't really got a place in a team with ambitions to break into the top six. Of course, he can improve on that ratio, it's just whether or not the club backs him to, which is why I said it will be an interesting summer.

If we sign a striker for a sizeable sum, DCL will inevitably drop to the bench (unless we change system). The reason I mentioned those other players is because Dom will naturally back himself to be every bit as good a player as those (irrespective of their playing positions) and if they're getting chased by Champions League clubs in other countries, it could be a head turner.

Stay on the bench at Everton or go to another country, play in the Champions League and challenge for titles?

I'm not saying that it's as straight forward as that (or even that an offer would be forthcoming) but when you have Sancho thriving at Dortmund, Bayern willing to pay £40m for Hudson-Odoi, Barcelona reportedly chasing Rashford (who hasn't exactly pulled up trees) - you've got the 2018 England U21 player of the year sat on the bench at a club who may not be in Europe - he'll have those sorts of offers.

Precisely my point though mate. Will we continue to give him the minutes next year? Or will we go into the market and get a new striker. That's the area most fans have pinpointed as the area for improvement.

A starting striker who scores in 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 hasn't really got a place in a team with ambitions to break into the top six. Of course, he can improve on that ratio, it's just whether or not the club backs him to, which is why I said it will be an interesting summer.

If we sign a striker for a sizeable sum, DCL will inevitably drop to the bench (unless we change system). The reason I mentioned those other players is because Dom will naturally back himself to be every bit as good a player as those (irrespective of their playing positions) and if they're getting chased by Champions League clubs in other countries, it could be a head turner.

Stay on the bench at Everton or go to another country, play in the Champions League and challenge for titles?

I'm not saying that it's as straight forward as that (or even that an offer would be forthcoming) but when you have Sancho thriving at Dortmund, Bayern willing to pay £40m for Hudson-Odoi, Barcelona reportedly chasing Rashford (who hasn't exactly pulled up trees) - you've got the 2018 England U21 player of the year sat on the bench at a club who may not be in Europe - he'll have those sorts of offers.
Why would we want to relegate him to the bench if he's good enough to have CL clubs offering big money for him?

Why would we want to relegate him to the bench if he's good enough to have CL clubs offering big money for him?

Why would we go and pay big money for a new CF if we have Englands U21 POTY?

We'd relegate him to the bench as he hasn't historically delivered the goal return we'd require to break the top six (according to many).

We did it with Lookman when RBL were willing to chuck £20m+ at him after a handful of games. He's barely had a kick this season.

Every chance Dom's goalscoring stats pick up, of course. It's just whether the club hierarchy decide to persevere with him next season as the starting CF, or if they decide to bench him in favour of a Werner, Gomez, Morelos or Haller etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.