2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still dont agree with it the second time, to be honest vastly different players, different manager and different system, you are trying to say the team is exactly the same as it was 10 years ago and five years ago, i would maintain its clearly not. Sure football has changed drastically in six months never mind that long ago.

Oh if you had a Lukaku or Yak you would probably play them similar to how we play Walcott really neither yak or Lukaku dindnt have the defensive attributes to press, mobility or athleticism to be part of how we want to play now in my opinion. The team would have to play to their strengths and compensate in a pressing style as neither had that skill sets i mention and i think the manager and other players would have to compensate his philosophy as you say to play to their strengths, like i said the system would have to suit the player rather then the player suiting the system.. Personally i dont think we will try and recruit a player of Lukaku or Yaks style though for the reasons Ive mentioned a few times, i think we ill look for a player of a different style, more Andy Johnson then Yak.

Not sure we are we going to agree on this.

I am not saying the teams are exactly the same, I’m saying that both Lukaku and yak played as lone strikers in systems, formations and teams that aren’t to dissimilar and therefore would improve us if we had one of them today. They would still score goals as they have done their whole career and we would probably be 10 points better off. Surely you can’t think we haven’t been crying out for a real striker all season? These are the two best strikers we have had in the past 20 years ( bar Rooney but he wasn’t at his best when with us). So you really think if we had anyt two of the best two striker we have had in the prem , in our team now, we wouldn’t be any higher in the table? If that’s the case then we might as well not even shop for a striker seeing as they don’t get us any further up the table

I know he’s nothing like Tom or yak ... yhe original point was that if we had yak or rom we would be 10 points better off. Someone replied saying that rom and yak wouldn’t fit into this team. I said that the team isn’t that different to when those players were actually here and I thought they could fit into the team and if we had one of them , that we would probably be 10 points better off. You seriously can’t deny the difference between a 20 goal a season striker and a 6 goal a season striker isn’t massive?
I ho early do t know ... I love Cahill and don’t have the same feeling for Siggy but, he is a vastly superior player technically , there is no doubt about that
I am not saying the teams are exactly the same, I’m saying that both Lukaku and yak played as lone strikers in systems, formations and teams that aren’t to dissimilar and therefore would improve us if we had one of them today. They would still score goals as they have done their whole career and we would probably be 10 points better off. Surely you can’t think we haven’t been crying out for a real striker all season? These are the two best strikers we have had in the past 20 years ( bar Rooney but he wasn’t at his best when with us). So you really think if we had anyt two of the best two striker we have had in the prem , in our team now, we wouldn’t be any higher in the table? If that’s the case then we might as well not even shop for a striker seeing as they don’t get us any further up the table
You’re right.. I apologise ... we don’t need a striker it makes no difference having a 20 goal a season striker. That’s probably why they’re so cheap to buy? Right?

In this system DCL is the one running around putting pressure on the opposition centre backs.

At the start of the season and through to the end of last year Richarlison was double marked. Through having DCL occupy the centre backs it makes space for Bernard and Richarlison and allows Sigurdsson to sneak in front of them from slightly deeper.

Thats ignoring his hold up play and winning headers and making lay offs.

Lukaku wouldnt do that and Yakubu needed the ball fed to him before he did anything aside from when he was hungry ;)

What we would need is somone with high energy levels and a brain who can do all the work DCL does but still be lethal.

Someone like Shearer would be a good fit before and Belotti now from Torino (as someone mentioned(

However i think we could look for a player with a different skillset...perhaps more selfish and direct to alternate.

In this system DCL is the one running around putting pressure on the opposition centre backs.

At the start of the season and through to the end of last year Richarlison was double marked. Through having DCL occupy the centre backs it makes space for Bernard and Richarlison and allows Sigurdsson to sneak in front of them from slightly deeper.

Thats ignoring his hold up play and winning headers and making lay offs.

Lukaku wouldnt do that and Yakubu needed the ball fed to him before he did anything aside from when he was hungry ;)

What we would need is somone with high energy levels and a brain who can do all the work DCL does but still be lethal.

Someone like Shearer would be a good fit before and Belotti now from Torino (as someone mentioned(

However i think we could look for a player with a different skillset...perhaps more selfish and direct to alternate.

Things is Lukaku can make his own chances against the bottoms teams .. Huddersfield at him for example . DCL has a great attitude and nobody can fault that, his work rate is high etc but we have had those type of strikers for prettt much all the tome I have followed Everton and Our teams looked significantly better With goal scorers like rom and yak. It is ironic that the team that got our highest ever finish in the prem had a striker like DCL in it tho , but that was a freakish season and can’t be the model we aspire to recreate .

Things is Lukaku can make his own chances against the bottoms teams .. Huddersfield at him for example . DCL has a great attitude and nobody can fault that, his work rate is high etc but we have had those type of strikers for prettt much all the tome I have followed Everton and Our teams looked significantly better With goal scorers like rom and yak. It is ironic that the team that got our highest ever finish in the prem had a striker like DCL in it tho , but that was a freakish season and can’t be the model we aspire to recreate .

How about France in the WC with Giroud?

Stick with him
If he gets better great (I think he will)
Have we got 80M for a top replacement - no.
Could Brands find a cheaper hidden gem - maybe

My conclusion; nothing much happening in the striker front in the near future.

Totally agree. We have bigger fish to fry over the summer. It's very likely we'll be replacing Gana and Gomes which is a frightening prospect. We'll also have to likely get a top CB in as well.

Its a goal every 238 minute or 2.6 games per goal, they are defo at the lower end of the scale.

To unfairly compare :

Aguerooooooooooooooooooooooo 104minutes per goal
Salah 157minutes per goal
Lukaku 154 minutes per goal
Kane 142 minutes per goal

But then nobody is saying hes an elite Striker, yet or if he ever will be, interestingly, to compare to the laughable shouts we have had to replace him with :

Callum Wilson 190 minutes per goal
Mitrovic 283 minutes per goal
Rondon 239 minutes per goal

So when players like Callum Wilson have a "price tag" of 40m, despite only scoring more than 10 goals in a season ONCE and crappers like Mitrovic cost 30m, DCL isnt a million miles away really.
These comparisons are unfair on both sides. Players in better teams will likely score more frequently and those on worse teams, less. Have to evaluate the players based on what’s around them to support as well but no one ever does.

Its a goal every 238 minute or 2.6 games per goal, they are defo at the lower end of the scale.

To unfairly compare :

Aguerooooooooooooooooooooooo 104minutes per goal
Salah 157minutes per goal
Lukaku 154 minutes per goal
Kane 142 minutes per goal

But then nobody is saying hes an elite Striker, yet or if he ever will be, interestingly, to compare to the laughable shouts we have had to replace him with :

Callum Wilson 190 minutes per goal
Mitrovic 283 minutes per goal
Rondon 239 minutes per goal

So when players like Callum Wilson have a "price tag" of 40m, despite only scoring more than 10 goals in a season ONCE and crappers like Mitrovic cost 30m, DCL isnt a million miles away really.

Proper baffles me that our fans rate Mitrovic so highly. I’m convinced it’s just because he’s a “big lad” and was rumoured to have a short temper once upon a time so they think he’ll be the next Ferguson

Proper baffles me that our fans rate Mitrovic so highly. I’m convinced it’s just because he’s a “big lad” and was rumoured to have a short temper once upon a time so they think he’ll be the next Ferguson
Same people that rate Rondon, they like a big unit. Big Dunc is a fair comparison because he was underwhelming for the majority of his career. (Don't tell him I said that)

Stick with him
If he gets better great (I think he will)
Have we got 80M for a top replacement - no.
Could Brands find a cheaper hidden gem - maybe

My conclusion; nothing much happening in the striker front in the near future.

Yeah, id say either go and get a Sheringham/Cantona/Bergkamp type of forward who plays that "second striker role" so we can either rotate, or play 2 upfront, or go get someone who can play alongside that whole front 3, similar to what Richarlison can do

....if Kane is injured for the next England squad, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if DCL is involved. Not sure how that pans out for those who say ‘send him on loan to the Championship’.

England fans will be saying "send him to the u21 championship"

To be honest, i think Southgate may want ot stick with some of the centre forwards he has for the summer. Rashford will play in Kanes place with Sterling & either Sancho or hudson Odoi. With the back up centre forward being Wilson, who he has only recently put into the squad but already has a goal to his name.
He will be knocking on the door if one of Rashford or Wilson get injured though i think

I’ve actuallt been quite impressed by DCL lately, I think he’s definitely improving and while his finishing isn’t there he definitely has potential

Status
Not open for further replies.