2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of the anti-Lukaku performance from him yesterday. Sensational team play and hold up ability, but zero threat on goal.

If he can put in performances like that and add 10-15 goals a season consistently, then there's a player in there. Time will tell if he can do it.

He must show this type of form consistently in training, because at times it's been mystifying why we've persisted with him.

His all round play has always been the better part of his game and thats improved remarkably. He does need to put in overtime on his composure and finishing though. If he can add that then he will be a top player.

Just a small sample. Free header against Chelsea. Couple of shots against West Ham. He is not anywhere near clinical to be a rated striker as of yet.

Is that enough.

Check the stats, better conversion rate than most strikers in the league, bar the top top ones.
You are basing your view on propaganda and a selected couple of opportunitys

You want me to show all the chances he has missed?

His shot against westham last week was a nothing shot, hit the target but not anywhere near the corner. This is common for him, his goal against city wasn’t going in until Delph put it in the top corner, his 1 on 1 ( can’t remember who against) when his shot was weak and not in the corner , took a deflection over the keeper, his chance against arsenal when he could have squared for R9 at 0-0 and he didn’t shoot or pass when 1 on 1 , the list goes on mate. He seems to be a decent kid, who knows he’s lucky to be a footballer for a living, really down to earth and works hard and I like him for that, but, his finishing is way below what is required and that imo means he will never be good enough for where we want to be.

Your basing your opinion on selected moments, check the stats, better conversion rate than most strikers in the league

Without going back too far, the West Ham game should prove the point.

I have watched Everton and football long enough to know what a natural finisher is and DCL is not one

You baasing that on one game, what about the Cardiff game than were he had one chance and put it away. Or the Newcastle game were he had 2 chances and put 1 away, the other chance wasent anywere near an XG and he carved it out for himself

https://www.premierleague.com/players/9576/Dominic-Calvert-Lewin/stats?co=1&se=210

His stats are not good enough scores about 1 in 6 chances. Stats also show this accuracy is worse than last season, yet he has scored more goals with less shots so far this season. So they dont tell the whole story, he is improving and if he continues to improve i say stick with him as one of a couple of strikers. We still need another as Tosun has not proven to be a decent alternative. we need at least two first choice strikers fighting for their place and i would like to see DCL be one with A N Other signed in the summer.

Aguero is 1 in 5 chances mate

Check the stats, better conversion rate than most strikers in the league, bar the top top ones.
You are basing your view on propaganda and a selected couple of opportunitys

I ain't mate. I see a good prospect who has to hone his striking skills. He could become a great striker hopefully. He has most of the attributes but lacks the most important one. As he currently is we cannot have him leading the line next season if we are to challenge the top 6 we need someone who can net out of nothing and someone who can put himself into positions to score more. He is still a work in progress. We need a dangerous player which DCL is not at the moment.

Reminds me of the job Marcus Bent did for us.
Fair comment. But with the added proviso that he's seemingly still improving and there is nothing to say he won't get better still.

I think it's fair to say that, at the moment, both his finishing and decision making need to improve by quite a bit if he were to stay as our first choice main striker.

He's doing a decent job at the moment and I'm so pleased for him that more people are seeing his all round game and what he brings to the team. I've spent more than enough time in here defending the lad over the last couple of years. But if we are serious about challenging the top 6 next season we do need to bring in a first choice striker in the summer, and I think we will.

In his interview of sorts with MOTD2 he got lots of praise by Wright, Chapman and Fletcher and the usual "I want to add goals to performances like this" came out. But looking at the highlights, the way he plays right now creates opportunities for Bernard and Richarlison to exploit at the expense of being far from goal scoring areas. His finishing can improve as he still gets some chances but I can't see how he can become a high scoring striker without sacrificing the selfless team play which has earned him plaudits.

Status
Not open for further replies.