Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Was thinking about you at the weekend mate after them results. Shocking, Suns collapsed too, they're as bad as Everton - you'll have to get behind Boston now lol. Did you get up to see your mum and gran- hope youd a good time and they're both keeping well. Hope work gets better too and that you get some sleep brother..
Was able to get up and see family 2 weekends a go which was nice. Work is still a mess but it's not really on me. Probably should start looking elsewhere soon

Was able to get up and see family 2 weekends a go which was nice. Work is still a mess but it's not really on me. Probably should start looking elsewhere soon
If youre that unhappy at work mate, definitely start looking around, its only a job - you dont owe them anything. Covid over now - hopefully more opportunities available to you now. Glad your mum and gran keeping well.

If youre that unhappy at work mate, definitely start looking around, its only a job - you dont owe them anything. Covid over now - hopefully more opportunities available to you now. Glad your mum and gran keeping well.
I agree Earwig with you my friend but with a caveat. There is an issue with being trapped. I think getting a work life balance is REALLY IMPORTANT but with our economy as it is, I genuily feel people are frightened to move on and it's fully understandable. Will I get another Job, how will I feed the kids, pay the bills and keep a roof over my head.

But dear me, if your working in a horrible, pressurised environment, feeling devalued or worthless with a boss who cares little about your mental well being, the question arises. Is that boss worth working for. Even on a humane, caring level, I'm not sure I would like to work for, never mind be around, such a person. You should not spend your time off worrying about work. There is no balance. All your thoughts are about work, it becomes enveloping, monotonous and stress enduring. But I come back to the old " but it pays the bills " etc.

I've said many many times on this site and it's always worth repeating folks, there is NOTHING, and I mean, NOTHING more important than your mental health. In my humble opinion, everyone's default button should always be " what have I got to do to ensure my mental health doesn't suffer ". Of course money is important, as is being lucky enough to work, but NOT at the price of being stressed, anxious and depressed. I sometimes think people are thinking: " dear me Spotty, enough already " but I make no apologies for saying it. Think first first first ABOVE EVERYTHING ELSE: " how does it effect my mental health ? ". Take care everyone.

This thread has served me well in the past so I'm just hoping for a little advice if possible.

My own mental health has been quite good for a couple of years now, however my wife has deteriorated. We have 2 young children and due to my wife's job the majority of the childcare responsibilities often fall on me.

More recently I have felt the pressure from all angles and I have felt like this has affected my work. I recently asked my Team Leader for an Occupational Health referral. When I met with them to discuss this I got the impression that they didn't want to do this for me. They stated that I wouldn't get any benefit from this and I allowed myself to be talked out of it.

I still feel like I would like to speak to Occupational Health, afterall what harm can it do?

I just wondered if anyone has experience of this. Am I entitled to an Occupational Health referral at work? Why would my boss be against this?

Thanks everyone.

I apologise in advance if it takes me a while to reply to any responses. I don't usually get much time to post until later at night.

This thread has served me well in the past so I'm just hoping for a little advice if possible.

My own mental health has been quite good for a couple of years now, however my wife has deteriorated. We have 2 young children and due to my wife's job the majority of the childcare responsibilities often fall on me.

More recently I have felt the pressure from all angles and I have felt like this has affected my work. I recently asked my Team Leader for an Occupational Health referral. When I met with them to discuss this I got the impression that they didn't want to do this for me. They stated that I wouldn't get any benefit from this and I allowed myself to be talked out of it.

I still feel like I would like to speak to Occupational Health, afterall what harm can it do?

I just wondered if anyone has experience of this. Am I entitled to an Occupational Health referral at work? Why would my boss be against this?

Thanks everyone.

I apologise in advance if it takes me a while to reply to any responses. I don't usually get much time to post until later at night.
EFC, it is NOT up to your boss to say whether or not an employee will " benefit " from Occy Health input. It is up to the person seeking support and the health professional to assess and act accordingly. An employer will BENEFIT from an employee who is fit and contented to work, and has nothing to fear from any Occy Health input.

It will do you no harm in having a meeting with Occy Health and take it from there. If you think you need it go ahead, you do not require approval from your employer. In addition a holistic assessment will ascertain whether or not you would benefit from physical and mental health input. Take care buddy, I hope this helps.

EFC, it is NOT up to your boss to say whether or not an employee will " benefit " from Occy Health input. It is up to the person seeking support and the health professional to assess and act accordingly. An employer will BENEFIT from an employee who is fit and contented to work, and has nothing to fear from any Occy Health input.

It will do you no harm in having a meeting with Occy Health and take it from there. If you think you need it go ahead, you do not require approval from your employer. In addition a holistic assessment will ascertain whether or not you would benefit from physical and mental health input. Take care buddy, I hope this helps.

Yeah it helps and it's much appreciated.

I'm going to ask for the referral next week.

Thanks again!

Everton in the community Mental Health phone number, anyone got it.
Hi Jimmy, I've looked on their website and they don't seem to have a dedicated mental health phone number. They do have these numbers listed on the website if any of these are of use to you.

Samaritans: 0151 116 123
Shout: Text Shout to 85258
National Domestic Abuse Helpline: 0808 2000 247
SANEline: 07984967708
Men’s Advice Line: 0808 801 0327
Merseycare NHS Foundation: 0800 145 6570

Thanks everyone.

Pretty much just to re-iterate what @Spotty said. It is not up to your boss to decide. In fact you are being pro active by seeking Occ Health advice about how you feel and should be commended. Your boss probably doesn't want the hassle of having to implement any suggestions Occ Health might make.

Hi Jimmy, I've looked on their website and they don't seem to have a dedicated mental health phone number. They do have these numbers listed on the website if any of these are of use to you.

Samaritans: 0151 116 123
Shout: Text Shout to 85258
National Domestic Abuse Helpline: 0808 2000 247
SANEline: 07984967708
Men’s Advice Line: 0808 801 0327
Merseycare NHS Foundation: 0800 145 6570
From my experience Merseycare and the life rooms are both very good

Pretty much just to re-iterate what @Spotty said. It is not up to your boss to decide. In fact you are being pro active by seeking Occ Health advice about how you feel and should be commended. Your boss probably doesn't want the hassle of having to implement any suggestions Occ Health might make.

Thank you for the kind words.

Unfortunately I think you are right about my boss.

Got some advice today about a 'Carers Passport'. I think this would really help. What is ultimately causing me stress is the unpredictable nature of my wife's condition and how that can impact me when I'm at work. For example if she rings me during a panic moment and it's clear that she is suffering it becomes very difficult for me to focus on work. From what I understand the 'Carers Passport' would allow me to have plans in place for these occasions.

Thank you for the kind words.

Unfortunately I think you are right about my boss.

Got some advice today about a 'Carers Passport'. I think this would really help. What is ultimately causing me stress is the unpredictable nature of my wife's condition and how that can impact me when I'm at work. For example if she rings me during a panic moment and it's clear that she is suffering it becomes very difficult for me to focus on work. From what I understand the 'Carers Passport' would allow me to have plans in place for these occasions.
Yes, this is true. It is also worth knowing that carers are covered and protected by the Equality Act.
If you are looking after someone who is elderly or disabled, the law will protect you from direct discrimination or harassment because of your caring responsibilities. This is because you are counted as being 'associated' with someone who is protected by the law because of their age or disability. Disability means a long term condition that has lasted for 12 months.

Yes, this is true. It is also worth knowing that carers are covered and protected by the Equality Act.
If you are looking after someone who is elderly or disabled, the law will protect you from direct discrimination or harassment because of your caring responsibilities. This is because you are counted as being 'associated' with someone who is protected by the law because of their age or disability. Disability means a long term condition that has lasted for 12 months.

Thank you for the advice. It is much appreciated!