Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

All done. A healthy girl called Camille. 6lb 9oz, my gf is small and her bump was small too so as expected.

Got to the hospital at 7, she was the only person booked in so I was with her by 710. We (my gf) had the baby at 10ish. I was allowed there until 3pm which is pretty good going considering, everyone was so helpful.

How women do it i'll never know, i have pretty much done nothing.

The maternity work is so separate from the 'Covid areas' that you don't really think of it too much.

Hopefully will get to see both tomorrow although she is considering staying another night if painful.

Phew

Congrats mate best wishes to you and the missus ;)

Now comes the hard part lol

Ok brethren, just coming up to the end of my first ever week as an in patient in any hospital. This has been building for 3 years due to a toxic manager at work as well as other serious family health issues.

Finally last week I hit the ground with a smack. After consultant diagnosis I agreed to come into a mental health hospital for rest, treatment and professional counselling.

I have to say it was the right decision although I was reluctant, scared all the usual things. My wife and daughter, both nurses persuaded me that I had reached a stage where I was just not able to keep going alone.

So, a week later, after 5 nights running of restful peaceful 6 hour plus sleeps, the company of just wonderful fellow patients, I feel 100% better. I am on very light meds although when I came in it was quite strong.

I have laughed more in the past week than in the last 3 years at work. Everyone is equal, no BS, just willingness to help each other out. People who want a chat have willing listeners, and if you want to be quiet and alone that is fine too.

Each has their own room after first few days in an observation bay. There is a smoking area which is where all the craic takes place.

Great food and friendly staff.....and I haven't started any counselling yet!!! That begins Monday.

I expect to be here another 4 weeks and miss my family, dogs and home. No visiting because of CV19, although my wife will come up tomorrow with a few articles that I need and I might be able to snatch a few words in Reception.

So.....BR had hit burnout, I was drinking too much to try and dull the anxiety of that manager at work. I knew that but I wasn't getting better and thank God for my women who knew me so well and could see I was heading for the bottom.

I really thank them and God for letting me realise that the usual leader, alpha male, strong person that I normally am was badly damaged and needed this help.

Feeling great, studying and writing for final semester of a four year BA in Theology.

My message is to anyone who is feeling anxiety constantly, and perhaps abusing booze or other substances, is to recognize when you actually need to surrender and trust in the professional services that are there.

Keep me in your prayers as I will all of you!

God Bless

Bluerover

Ok brethren, just coming up to the end of my first ever week as an in patient in any hospital. This has been building for 3 years due to a toxic manager at work as well as other serious family health issues.

Finally last week I hit the ground with a smack. After consultant diagnosis I agreed to come into a mental health hospital for rest, treatment and professional counselling.

I have to say it was the right decision although I was reluctant, scared all the usual things. My wife and daughter, both nurses persuaded me that I had reached a stage where I was just not able to keep going alone.

So, a week later, after 5 nights running of restful peaceful 6 hour plus sleeps, the company of just wonderful fellow patients, I feel 100% better. I am on very light meds although when I came in it was quite strong.

I have laughed more in the past week than in the last 3 years at work. Everyone is equal, no BS, just willingness to help each other out. People who want a chat have willing listeners, and if you want to be quiet and alone that is fine too.

Each has their own room after first few days in an observation bay. There is a smoking area which is where all the craic takes place.

Great food and friendly staff.....and I haven't started any counselling yet!!! That begins Monday.

I expect to be here another 4 weeks and miss my family, dogs and home. No visiting because of CV19, although my wife will come up tomorrow with a few articles that I need and I might be able to snatch a few words in Reception.

So.....BR had hit burnout, I was drinking too much to try and dull the anxiety of that manager at work. I knew that but I wasn't getting better and thank God for my women who knew me so well and could see I was heading for the bottom.

I really thank them and God for letting me realise that the usual leader, alpha male, strong person that I normally am was badly damaged and needed this help.

Feeling great, studying and writing for final semester of a four year BA in Theology.

My message is to anyone who is feeling anxiety constantly, and perhaps abusing booze or other substances, is to recognize when you actually need to surrender and trust in the professional services that are there.

God Bless

Bluerover
Well done and good post. You're not mad or crazy, just a fella who's going through a tough time. Please, don't put a time scale on getting better. Take your time. It's a realisation that you're normal and THERE ARE other people in the same boat. Never stop taking your meds if you think you're better. Often, people don't realise that it's the meds that keeping them stable. It sounds as though your family are supportive which is great. Remember, there is no rush, you recover at you're on pace and everyone's recovery is different. If someone with similar issues as you appears to get better " quicker ", it's ok, because like I said we are all different and recovery times differ. Use all the support that's on offer and don't be afraid to get upset, it's because you're human. Good luck and remember you're recovery is about trial and error. There will be blips but you'll get there. Take care.

Well done and good post. You're not mad or crazy, just a fella who's going through a tough time. Please, don't put a time scale on getting better. Take your time. It's a realisation that you're normal and THERE ARE other people in the same boat. Never stop taking your meds if you think you're better. Often, people don't realise that it's the meds that keeping them stable. It sounds as though your family are supportive which is great. Remember, there is no rush, you recover at you're on pace and everyone's recovery is different. If someone with similar issues as you appears to get better " quicker ", it's ok, because like I said we are all different and recovery times differ. Use all the support that's on offer and don't be afraid to get upset, it's because you're human. Good luck and remember you're recovery is about trial and error. There will be blips but you'll get there. Take care.

Cheers mate!

God Bless

Bluerover
I am so glad you have taken this step and feel better. I wish you a full recovery. Keep us updated on how you get on x

God Bless

Bluerover

Great post mate and I wish you all the best with your recovery.

It may sound a stupid question, but are you intending to enter the church once you`ve completed your Theology degree ?

The only reason I ask, is that your experiences with your own problems would be very valuable to you in helping others.

Keep us all updated mate ;)

Great post mate and I wish you all the best with your recovery.

It may sound a stupid question, but are you intending to enter the church once you`ve completed your Theology degree ?

The only reason I ask, is that your experiences with your own problems would be very valuable to you in helping others.

Keep us all updated mate ;)

Cheers mate. I plan to give my notice after this is over and retire early after 33 years in the Civil Service. I worked in three Government Departments and thoroughly enjoyed my career until I came up against the manager from hell. I won't go into any detail....suffice to say I never had any issue with any manager or any of my direct reports in 30 years. I'll leave it there.

I am interested in serving in a pastoral capacity, i am only 55 and physically healthy as a trout - based on all the tests done on me this week.

I love the academic work as history snd theology have always interested me. My primary academic degree was an LLB from Trinity Dublin.

So yes I would live to help my fellow citizens if I can. We are already deeply involved in parish activities including choirs, reading and Parish Council- Mrs BR.

Cheers.

Cheers mate. I plan to give my notice after this is over and retire early after 33 years in the Civil Service. I worked in three Government Departments and thoroughly enjoyed my career until I came up against the manager from hell. I won't go into any detail....suffice to say I never had any issue with any manager or any of my direct reports in 30 years. I'll leave it there.

I am interested in serving in a pastoral capacity, i am only 55 and physically healthy as a trout - based on all the tests done on me this week.

I love the academic work as history snd theology have always interested me. My primary academic degree was an LLB from Trinity Dublin.

So yes I would live to help my fellow citizens if I can. We are already deeply involved in parish activities including choirs, reading and Parish Council- Mrs BR.

Cheers.
I've always thought that helping others - in whatever capacity - is good for you're own self esteem. It gives you self worth. Would have thought taking up you're " calling " is a long term commitment but you're obviously academically qualified. Look after yourself, and contrary to what some people think, there's lots of good caring people out there.

Cheers.
Are you in the UK Civil Service? if you are fill in a CSIBs form. You can find it on the internet. It is a form where you apply to have your absence treated as a work related injury. If you can show that all of your illness has been caused by work then they will write off your sick - which has implications if you are on half pay or no pay. Before you hand your notice in I would think about staying off sick ( obviously there are financial implications if you are on half or no pay) drag it out and add a few more months to your pension.

Are you in the UK Civil Service? if you are fill in a CSIBs form. You can find it on the internet. It is a form where you apply to have your absence treated as a work related injury. If you can show that all of your illness has been caused by work then they will write off your sick - which has implications if you are on half pay or no pay. Before you hand your notice in I would think about staying off sick ( obviously there are financial implications if you are on half or no pay) drag it out and add a few more months to your pension.

Ireland, but I think the same applies.

Also a free online course here to help with suicide awareness. Might be valuable to ensure we can spot the signs in any friends or family that might be suffering right now.