Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Ok brethren, just coming up to the end of my first ever week as an in patient in any hospital. This has been building for 3 years due to a toxic manager at work as well as other serious family health issues.

Finally last week I hit the ground with a smack. After consultant diagnosis I agreed to come into a mental health hospital for rest, treatment and professional counselling.

I have to say it was the right decision although I was reluctant, scared all the usual things. My wife and daughter, both nurses persuaded me that I had reached a stage where I was just not able to keep going alone.

So, a week later, after 5 nights running of restful peaceful 6 hour plus sleeps, the company of just wonderful fellow patients, I feel 100% better. I am on very light meds although when I came in it was quite strong.

I have laughed more in the past week than in the last 3 years at work. Everyone is equal, no BS, just willingness to help each other out. People who want a chat have willing listeners, and if you want to be quiet and alone that is fine too.

Each has their own room after first few days in an observation bay. There is a smoking area which is where all the craic takes place.

Great food and friendly staff.....and I haven't started any counselling yet!!! That begins Monday.

I expect to be here another 4 weeks and miss my family, dogs and home. No visiting because of CV19, although my wife will come up tomorrow with a few articles that I need and I might be able to snatch a few words in Reception.

So.....BR had hit burnout, I was drinking too much to try and dull the anxiety of that manager at work. I knew that but I wasn't getting better and thank God for my women who knew me so well and could see I was heading for the bottom.

I really thank them and God for letting me realise that the usual leader, alpha male, strong person that I normally am was badly damaged and needed this help.

Feeling great, studying and writing for final semester of a four year BA in Theology.

My message is to anyone who is feeling anxiety constantly, and perhaps abusing booze or other substances, is to recognize when you actually need to surrender and trust in the professional services that are there.

Keep me in your prayers as I will all of you!

God Bless

Bluerover
Great uplifting post to read. Sounds like you'll go from strength to strength now you're out of that toxic environment ;)

Update. Had a session with the consultant today and he is astonished at my progress in 10 days. Feeling really well, but I told him I am in no hurry as this is a life changing time for me and I want make sure I get completely back to normal. I also had a good chat with head of HR yesterday. Very positive, and maybe I might get a transfer away from the toxic cause of all this.
Still studying, smoking my pipes, and enjoying great chats with my colleagues here. Thanks for all the GOT support! COYB!
BR

Update. Had a session with the consultant today and he is astonished at my progress in 10 days. Feeling really well, but I told him I am in no hurry as this is a life changing time for me and I want make sure I get completely back to normal. I also had a good chat with head of HR yesterday. Very positive, and maybe I might get a transfer away from the toxic cause of all this.
Still studying, smoking my pipes, and enjoying great chats with my colleagues here. Thanks for all the GOT support! COYB!
BR
" In no hurry ". Great. As I've said take your time son. You shouldn't have to go back into the same environment that made you poorly. Would also - very gently - encourage you to discuss all of your issues at work or at home with work colleagues or loved ones as it's important you to recognise what the causation / triggers were that made you poorly on the first place. You know yourself it has been a gradual deterioration, so taking your time is absolutely the way to progress. Keep it going and good luck buddy.

All done. A healthy girl called Camille. 6lb 9oz, my gf is small and her bump was small too so as expected.

Got to the hospital at 7, she was the only person booked in so I was with her by 710. We (my gf) had the baby at 10ish. I was allowed there until 3pm which is pretty good going considering, everyone was so helpful.

How women do it i'll never know, i have pretty much done nothing.

The maternity work is so separate from the 'Covid areas' that you don't really think of it too much.

Hopefully will get to see both tomorrow although she is considering staying another night if painful.

Phew

just seen this, congrats!

All done. A healthy girl called Camille. 6lb 9oz, my gf is small and her bump was small too so as expected.

Got to the hospital at 7, she was the only person booked in so I was with her by 710. We (my gf) had the baby at 10ish. I was allowed there until 3pm which is pretty good going considering, everyone was so helpful.

How women do it i'll never know, i have pretty much done nothing.

The maternity work is so separate from the 'Covid areas' that you don't really think of it too much.

Hopefully will get to see both tomorrow although she is considering staying another night if painful.

Phew

Congratulations mate ;)

I've emailed them before, albeit a while back and they were great. The fella I dealt with isn't there anymore but looks like someone called Scott Mcleod might be worth a try, he is listed as Deputy to the Director of Media, Marketing & Comms and with direct responsibility for the Club’s PR, Media, Digital, Content, Fan Services, Engagement and Events teams.

His email is scott.mcleod@evertonfc.com

Good luck mate

Hi mate. Sad to say my uncle Spencer passed this morning. I wasn't able to get a reply from Scott. I'm wondering if you or anyone knows if there is anyway to have a brick engraved to be part of the Goodison Granite? Originally I was planning to try and have an obituary written in the next matchday programme, but I doubt we will be having them for a while.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Hi mate. Sad to say my uncle Spencer passed this morning. I wasn't able to get a reply from Scott. I'm wondering if you or anyone knows if there is anyway to have a brick engraved to be part of the Goodison Granite? Originally I was planning to try and have an obituary written in the next matchday programme, but I doubt we will be having them for a while.

My condolences mate!

Check with the Everton Fan Services Twitter! They were very helpful and responsive. could very well give you a direct contact or guidance

Check with the Everton Fan Services Twitter! They were very helpful and responsive. could very well give you a direct contact or guidance

Thanks bud

Also a free online course here to help with suicide awareness. Might be valuable to ensure we can spot the signs in any friends or family that might be suffering right now.

These courses are always helpful. Have always thought that the best way you can help anybody who you think may be struggling is to tell them it's ok to say you're feeling terrible mentally, and you will listen. A lot of people - a lot - think " I can't help, I'm no good at this sort of thing ". Well, you are, and listening to someone is letting them know you care, because saying that to someone might make the difference between life and death. We ALL have life experience and that in itself gives us expertise.

A Facility to invite Negative Rep doesn't help those amongst us who face a daily struggle to fight their demons.

Especially when the author cannot understand who they have upset or offended as the facility is Anonymous.

A Facility to invite Negative Rep doesn't help those amongst us who face a daily struggle to fight their demons.

Especially when the author cannot understand who they have upset or offended as the facility is Anonymous.

The reputation facility is moderated no differently to anything else on here. The single rep comment you referred to;

"No this is a lot funnier than that"

We'd never think such a comment requires moderation.

If such a comment causes distress - I'd suggest avoiding a football forum. As I would if Everton was a trigger, or talk of alcohol etc.

The majority of rep is positive. You can leave any feedback on the reputation system trial here. It's always evolving - as an example, we've requested the developer add the ability for users to opt out.

Sorry to hear this.

Feel free to pen something for the front page mate until the programmes are back.