Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Relapse. All because we lost 2-0 to Fulham.

I hate myself far more than I hate the squad because the delusional part of me thinks it's my fault. I said we'd lose and we did and now I've gone and hurt myself. At least it's not too deep.

Relapse. All because we lost 2-0 to Fulham.

I hate myself far more than I hate the squad because the delusional part of me thinks it's my fault. I said we'd lose and we did and now I've gone and hurt myself. At least it's not too deep.

You’ve obviously come to your senses after the event, at least, which is something.

Nobody should go to those lengths over a football match, though. I used to get really angry at a bad performance/result. I realised, especially after having kids, that it just wasn’t worth getting that wound up over football. If we’re not the last game of the day, I just stick the late game on and enjoy watching football that I have no real vested interest in. If watching football is too close to
home for you, watch something else or sack tv off and read a book, listen to music, go for a walk, etc.

You’re clearly aware enough to know what your triggers are, so as much as it might pain you to do so I think you need to distance yourself from them.

You’ve obviously come to your senses after the event, at least, which is something.

Nobody should go to those lengths over a football match, though. I used to get really angry at a bad performance/result. I realised, especially after having kids, that it just wasn’t worth getting that wound up over football. If we’re not the last game of the day, I just stick the late game on and enjoy watching football that I have no real vested interest in. If watching football is too close to
home for you, watch something else or sack tv off and read a book, listen to music, go for a walk, etc.

You’re clearly aware enough to know what your triggers are, so as much as it might pain you to do so I think you need to distance yourself from them.
I managed to calm myself down afterwards by going on Funtrivia - it's a quiz site - and it helped take my mind off things. I'm also going to be staying off Twitter and out of any Everton-related threads on here for a bit, and just try and treat the game - and the relapse - as a blip. At least it's been a long time since I last did it, which is a good thing, I guess.

I managed to calm myself down afterwards by going on Funtrivia - it's a quiz site - and it helped take my mind off things. I'm also going to be staying off Twitter and out of any Everton-related threads on here for a bit, and just try and treat the game - and the relapse - as a blip. At least it's been a long time since I last did it, which is a good thing, I guess.

All sounds perfectly reasonable to me!

Fingers crossed for no more blips. As always, you know where we are if you feel something is imminent and you need a chat to take your mind off it.

It isn't your fault. I never bet on Everton - feeling that I would jinx them. Yesterday I put them in a footie bet with a "no" for both teams to score. I predicted correctly but not the way I had planned it going! So I feel as if I'm partly responsible - which is utter rubbish but I'm sure we all do it. Please don't let it get to to you so much. As @Brett Angell Delight said - we are all here if you need to talk x

Boy, I love having intrusive thoughts. Especially when they're about Liverpool.

That's why I hate the 'they live rent free in your head' thing. Because it's true. Mind you, a lot of people live there. My head is like a squat.

Boy, I love having intrusive thoughts. Especially when they're about Liverpool.

That's why I hate the 'they live rent free in your head' thing. Because it's true. Mind you, a lot of people live there. My head is like a squat.

Apparently intrusive thoughts are normal. It’s how we respond to them that determines if they become a “pathology”. Apparently the thing to do is ignore them and not to dwell on/analyse them or change your life directly because of them (e.g if the intrusive thought is hurting yourself with a knife, not to throw away all your knives...this is when you begin to fall into a spiralling pattern of unhealthy behaviour). I bet the reality is it’s not that easy to ignore such thoughts though! What are your coping techniques??