Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I don’t know your situation but think of the heartbroken people you will leave behind. It’s not fair on them.
I wish you well.

I often do and that's what's preventing me so far. I'm sure I'll change my mind and I'm trying not to be dramatic Just fed up of this vicious circle. I thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind words and take solace in knowing people in the same position have people like you to help

Good morning from the States Jaeden.

I'm not a medical professional, only a man that has had mental health issues and researched the hell out of it. So, take this for what it is - my opinion formed through research.

It seems to me like you are experiencing something called anhedonia. A general lack of enjoyment. There are many factors at play in something like this, as I have experienced something similar. Behavioral changes, perspective and biological factors all play a factor in our mental health, especially in a case like this. I can cite the research articles after work. It may surprise you that things like alcohol intake, caffeine intake, high sugar diets, behavioral addictions, lack of physical activity, etc can all contribute to a poor mental state because of the stress hormone production that occurs as a result. I found that 30 minutes of dedicated exercise time makes a dramatic improvement in my long term mood because that kind of exercise burns stress hormone in the human body. Some days I still had a funk even on SSRIs when I didn't work out for a long period of time. It happens. UAB here in the states published a study regarding how moderate to vigorous physical activity stimulates neurogenesis in your brain's hippocampus - IE regrowing neurons in your brain. Alcohol, caffeine and any other drug affects a brain's neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine. Too much of any of those things can lead to a true chemical/neurotransmitter imbalance or even physical changes in a brain/body. SSRIs seems to be intended to be used as a supplement for us to recover.There are also medicines that assist a body's other neurotransmitters - dopamine, etc - like Wellbutrin. Some doctors combine these medicines to address the brain as a whole.

Lastly, California-Berkeley, one of the premier research universities here in the states, published a research piece a few years ago blatantly stating that chronic stress predisposes our brains to mental illness. Finding ways to manage your stress in a healthy outlet goes a long way.

Kick it's ass, Jaeden.

Thankyou so much for that, I hate to be one of those attention grabbers, but find it easier to communicate with strangers than open up to people closer in my life. I've tried making those suggested changes, albeit, half-heartedly. I'll be sure to try harder, and really really appreciate the likes of you selflessly taking 15 minutes out of your day to help the likes of me. I'll be sure to kick its ass to show my gratitude for all those brilliant blues on here helping me out!

Nobody wants to see their "hero" dad in that way mate but sometimes we have to embrace the facts of life. My grandpa died of Parkinson's disease which turned him into a vegetable in human form. Can't walk, can't talk, can't remember for 10 f...n years. Cancer, on the other hand, is another b..ch. I am so sorry that you have to go through this.

Stay strong, man up as you say, but also consider taking counselling. They are professionals and they can help you and your mental strength more than you'd imagine.

I wish the best for you and your dad.

Well my dad passed away at the weekend. I saw cancer up close for the 2 weeks he fought it in hospital. It's a terrible disease and my family and I are just glad he's no longer suffering. I have sympathy for anyone who has been through something similar. Once the funeral is over I'm hoping things will begin to look up. 2018 has been a nightmare!

Just wanted to say, the NHS nurses that cared for my dad right up until his last moments.... they truly are angels and I'll never forget their compassion and caring nature.

Well my dad passed away at the weekend. I saw cancer up close for the 2 weeks he fought it in hospital. It's a terrible disease and my family and I are just glad he's no longer suffering. I have sympathy for anyone who has been through something similar. Once the funeral is over I'm hoping things will begin to look up. 2018 has been a nightmare!

Just wanted to say, the NHS nurses that cared for my dad right up until his last moments.... they truly are angels and I'll never forget their compassion and caring nature.
My condolocences for your loss. Your father is indeed not suffering any longer, and hopefully that gives you comfort

So sorry to hear this. Sending much love to you and yours. Remember the lovely times you shared with your Dad. He'll always be with you x

I had one therapy session and hated it tbh. I'm not too sure if the doctors know tbh, they know what's going on but probably not the severity; I just can't keep doing the same thing over and over

I've had counseling twice mate.

The first time was a disaster, as me and the councilor just didn't hit it off.

The second time was the total opposite and did me no end of good.

The main things I got out of, was the understanding of what was going on and why, plus I was taught coping mechanisms.

Don't dismiss having another go out of hand mate.

Thankyou so much for that, I hate to be one of those attention grabbers, but find it easier to communicate with strangers than open up to people closer in my life. I've tried making those suggested changes, albeit, half-heartedly. I'll be sure to try harder, and really really appreciate the likes of you selflessly taking 15 minutes out of your day to help the likes of me. I'll be sure to kick its ass to show my gratitude for all those brilliant blues on here helping me out!

If you are simply asking for help, it's not attention grabbing. Sometimes the courage to ask for help with difficult issues like our own health is the hardest challenge. To hell with the perceptions. Find help to aid you in recovery. Life's an experience and you deserve the opportunity to have better experiences.

This comes from a website that in and of itself is not a research website, but BeBrainFit cites/backs up pretty much every statement with research:

https://bebrainfit.com/effects-chronic-stress-brain/

https://bebrainfit.com/stress-management-techniques/

https://bebrainfit.com/reduce-cortisol-stress-hormone/

my condolences mate. my his soul rest in peace now.

Haven't visited this part of the forum for a while but I have to admit my mental health aint great right now.

I feel like I am being bullied at work and singled out by someone because they know I am a compulsive gambler. I have reported the behaviour to my manager but as usual they have done zip about it.

I get really paranoid at work when I hear this person whispering to other people. It's probably not about me but I can't help thinking it is. They organize staff parties when they know I attend my meeting because I have been open and honest about what I attend and when.

It's really getting me down. I have a great partner but she has her own issues.

I don't know what to do for the best.
Well stuff the manager and be very proud of having the guts to face the problem and attend your meetings. Make sure you put your complaints in writing as well. Jobs market is also not bad at the moment and there is a whole world out there.

Life is too short to put up with inadequates who abuse their little bit of authority. Well done on the meetings. My brother went through same and now has a good life. Good Luck!

Haven't visited this part of the forum for a while but I have to admit my mental health aint great right now.

I feel like I am being bullied at work and singled out by someone because they know I am a compulsive gambler. I have reported the behaviour to my manager but as usual they have done zip about it.

I get really paranoid at work when I hear this person whispering to other people. It's probably not about me but I can't help thinking it is. They organize staff parties when they know I attend my meeting because I have been open and honest about what I attend and when.

It's really getting me down. I have a great partner but she has her own issues.

I don't know what to do for the best.
Your colleagues sound like complete bellends mate. It's easy to say for someone looking in from the outside but they don't sound worth worrying about. Is finding somewhere else to work not a possibility?

I've been planning on taking my life for some time now, but something always comes up to push it back. This quality of life is just degrading and painful and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. I would like to clarify that I won't be doing it in the immediate future so please don't be unduly worried. But I feel I can at least offer a little insight to the state of mind for those of you that don't understand it. I wish to help anyone in a similar disposition, and don't for the love of holy follow my example
Hi Jaeden, I don't know your situation, but I want to offer a tip that may help you. I've been in some dark places. One thing I found out when trying to find ways to help myself is that nutritional deficiencies can cause depression. Some are deficiencies of Vitamin D and Magnesium which according to articles I've read, many of us are deficient. Others are Iron, Iodine and B vitamins. Once I started eating more foods high in these, my symptoms improved.

If you have one or more of these deficiencies, it could be contributing or causing some of your feelings. Here is one link:

https://www.everydayhealth.com/colu...ional-deficiencies-that-may-cause-depression/

We are here for you!

To add to the above:

"Depression is a disorder associated with major symptoms such as increased sadness and anxiety, loss of appetite, depressed mood, and a loss of interest in pleasurable activities. If there is no timely therapeutic intervention, this disorder can lead to varied consequences. Patients who are suffering from depression exhibit suicidal tendency to a larger degree and hence are usually treated with antidepressants and/or psychotherapy.[6] Deficiencies in neurotransmitters such as serotonin, dopamine, noradrenaline, and γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) are often associated with depression.[611] As reported in several studies, the amino acids tryptophan, tyrosine, phenylalanine, and methionine are often helpful in treating many mood disorders including depression.[1217] When consumed alone on an empty stomach, tryptophan, a precursor of serotonin, is usually converted to serotonin. Hence, tryptophan can induce sleep and tranquility. This implies restoring serotonin levels lead to diminished depression precipitated by serotonin deficiencies.[8] Tyrosine and sometimes its precursor phenylalanine are converted into dopamine and norepinephrine.[18] "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2738337/

A malnourished body OR brain can't function properly.

I had one therapy session and hated it tbh. I'm not too sure if the doctors know tbh, they know what's going on but probably not the severity; I just can't keep doing the same thing over and over
Have you tried or even heard of Mindfulness based cognitive therapy? There are meditation videos on YouTube and classes you can enrole in, in most big towns. I find it extremely helpful, https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/therapy-types/mindfulness-based-cognitive-therapy

I am very sorry for your loss. I know it will be tough at present, but I hope you can take something from knowing your dad is free now from pain and suffering, and also from all of the many happy memories you will have of him in times gone by. Those memories will often be bittersweet, but in time they will invoke more of a smile than sadness. Take special care of yourself and loved ones in the days and weeks to come.

Who can relate
A795C6D3-6B8D-4880-8FDC-D2E78E26E93A.jpeg