Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Over thinking things has always been one of my biggest problems (although I have got better with it in the last 12 months). It can start with a fleeting thought and grow into something huge. It can happen over the course of hours or days. No matter how irrational it is you can't shut it off.

Having someone who is willing to listen and talk it through with you is usually the best thing I find.
What you are describing sounds like what used to happen to me called "worry spirals." I used to get them a lot, but then I found a book that dealt with worrying too much and how to stop it. The book had some great tips that I started using and I haven't had that problem for several years now. You might try looking online to see if there are any tips that might work for you.

Forgive me for being new and writing on this thread, just didn’t know where else to turn. Find it hard opening up and trusting people, lost my Grandma November last year and the only real comfort ive found is talking about Everton it’s more of a getaway if im honest.
Just wanted to know if anyone had any good recommendations on people to talk/speak to, feel like i need to talk to someone but.. i dont know
Apologies again.

Sorry to hear of your loss, you were clearly very close and so should take solace from that alone by remembering all the happy times. It is quite natural to feel grief and I'm sure Grandma would be delighted that she meant so much to you BUT she loved you and would want you to now move on. It's time to turn over the page in your book of life and begin the next chapter but you can still ear mark the previous one so when you feel the need you can always return to it if it gives you some comfort.

As time progresses the hurt will diminish - life is like that - but it wont mean you have forgotten past loves/relationships/friendships, simply that your life is evolving.

As regards people to speak to I would personally suggest looking on the website for bereavement counselling in your local area. There are plenty of groups throughout the country with compassionate and qualified people - professionally and through their own personal experience - who will help you come to terms with your grief.

Things will get better x

Forgive me for being new and writing on this thread, just didn’t know where else to turn. Find it hard opening up and trusting people, lost my Grandma November last year and the only real comfort ive found is talking about Everton it’s more of a getaway if im honest.
Just wanted to know if anyone had any good recommendations on people to talk/speak to, feel like i need to talk to someone but.. i dont know
Apologies again.

Hi Mate, sorry to hear about your Grandma, involving yourself in Everton is great and a good distraction although I find when we are losing it makes things worse !!
Who do you think you could talk to about her ? Is there anyone obvious that springs to mind ?

What you are describing sounds like what used to happen to me called "worry spirals." I used to get them a lot, but then I found a book that dealt with worrying too much and how to stop it. The book had some great tips that I started using and I haven't had that problem for several years now. You might try looking online to see if there are any tips that might work for you.

What's the book ?

Hi Mate, sorry to hear about your Grandma, involving yourself in Everton is great and a good distraction although I find when we are losing it makes things worse !!
Who do you think you could talk to about her ? Is there anyone obvious that springs to mind ?

'Everton is great and a good distraction' - takes a little getting my head around that if I'm honest!

'...when we are losing it makes things worse !!' - isn't that the truth

Do you remember the name of the book?

Martin, please don't apologize. Asking for help is, or should be, normal and necessary. Find a loved one to express your thoughts to. If you are hesitant about that, find a professional counselor. The stereotype of people going to counseling should be banned forever. Professionals are the pros for a reason. They know strategies to help.

After we become adults, sometimes we have a hard time making new friends such as after a move or after a break-up. I wanted to share a website with you called www.meetup.com It is NOT a dating website. It's to meet other people with similar interests and hobbies. I found 2 writing groups and a kids play group here in Vegas. It is global so there are groups all over the world.

I went to the site and searched Liverpool and there are lots of groups - hiking groups, IT/software group, people who like movies group, social groups, etc.

Hope this helps anyone that might want more friends in their life.

Apologies again.
Hi Martin.
I hope your ok. I'm in a similar situation to you really. I'm struggling to talk to people and I trust absolutely no one including family. My stress is different to yours as you have suffered the death of a close family member where as mine is a tough separation after 14 years together and a 13 year old daughter in the middle.
Like others have said try professional help maybe. It's not for me. I tried it though but I hated it. But it may work wonders for you.
I've turned to playing my favourite music which is brilliant for me and Everton as well. I even went to watch us for the first time in 5 years last week and I want to get up to goodison soon when I can afford it for a match.
Good luck mate. The lads and lasses on here have been good for me too. Giving good advice but not being scared to point me in the right direction either when I could of gone off the rails a little