Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

"Rumination" has been talked about on here at some length and one or two people have noted the value of distraction. It's quite important for a couple of reasons, one of them being this: serious depression & rumination can slide in to delusion & hallucination. By "delusion", I don't mean a person will suddenly think they're Donald Duck or whatever (though s/he may!) but paranoia regarding other people's motives, plots and plans etc. Really not a good place to be.

Very true this. The mind is a labyrinth, it's easy to get lost.

Not a problem.

I really don't want to come across as a wise arse on this but a couple of thoughts:

The best results come through brutal honesty with whoever you speak to. A lot of young lads feel they have to put a gloss on their symptoms to avoid coming across as weak. If those symptoms include strong thoughts of self harm, this needs to be spelled out graphically,including any plans that may have been made NOT so that people can wrap the person in cotton wool but because the revelation helps the psychiatric team to place you on the scale of seriousness. I've highlighted this because that position on the scale determines the amount of support you'll receive.

"Rumination" has been talked about on here at some length and one or two people have noted the value of distraction. It's quite important for a couple of reasons, one of them being this: serious depression & rumination can slide in to delusion & hallucination. By "delusion", I don't mean a person will suddenly think they're Donald Duck or whatever (though s/he may!) but paranoia regarding other people's motives, plots and plans etc. Really not a good place to be.

So do a bit of washing & ironing; or cook; start the great novel; walk a neighbour's dog. Anything and everything till you can present your ass in A & E.
The thing for me is that I feel like I can't always get distracted, even if I do sometimes I get back to square one really quickly/randomly and then I don't feel like being distracted from doing things cuz my mind's already distracted.

Good point about the paranoia as well, defo have a bit of that. But what do you mean I'm not Donald Duck ffs?!

Donald Duck ... a (not very) humorous example of the beliefs some people have about themselves.

Distraction: habit. And a habit not developed in the hope of a cure but as a fence round a swamp till you can access the drainage machine.

The thing for me right now is that the fence has many holes in it and it doesn't really hold for long and tends to drop even when pushed lightly...

completely agree with you. I find it hard to find somewhere to go. ok I take the dog for a walk everyday but that feels more of a chore than actually going out.
Last time I looked in you were going on holiday somewhere or other - now you are finding it hard to find somewhere to go.
What was the holiday like - was it beneficial?
This dog walking stuff really isn't working is it, any merit in getting another few dogs in the locality together and starting organised dog walks- who knows it may be the start of something big and take your mind off things like - just an idea!!

Don't know about you but I came on this site full of good intentions but I have found to my detriment that regular visits are just getting me down.
Anyone else feel the same?

The thing for me right now is that the fence has many holes in it and it doesn't really hold for long and tends to drop even when pushed lightly...

I know it's hard for you to feel it right now, but just by coming here, opening up and sharing with us, you are helping yourself. Keep coming back and use the support and caring you can gather here to help prop up that fence when you find yourself struggling or overwhelmed.

Last time I looked in you were going on holiday somewhere or other - now you are finding it hard to find somewhere to go.
What was the holiday like - was it beneficial?
This dog walking stuff really isn't working is it, any merit in getting another few dogs in the locality together and starting organised dog walks- who knows it may be the start of something big and take your mind off things like - just an idea!!

Don't know about you but I came on this site full of good intentions but I have found to my detriment that regular visits are just getting me down.
Anyone else feel the same?
the holiday was ok only a camping weekend at a small festival. came home a day early because it was quite tiring for me. we are going to benidorm in a few weeks so thats going to be a bit gruelling.
the dog walking is more for the dog than me even tho it gives me a bit of exercise. it's been better lately as most people have got to know my dog and are comfortable with letting their dogs interact with him ( staffie/mastiff mix ) and i get to talk with them more.

the holiday was ok only a camping weekend at a small festival. came home a day early because it was quite tiring for me. we are going to benidorm in a few weeks so thats going to be a bit gruelling.
the dog walking is more for the dog than me even tho it gives me a bit of exercise. it's been better lately as most people have got to know my dog and are comfortable with letting their dogs interact with him ( staffie/mastiff mix ) and i get to talk with them more.

You will get there mate.

The thing for me is ( and I dunno about anyone else ) just writing things out on here for me to see them out there is like emptying a can of pressure. Like " there I go, I will still worry or think about it but at least I've addressed a portion of it instead if it festering".

I don't want " you'll be fine mate", that's my opinion though, Seriously as this was the contentious reason I spewed cognitive therapy, I don't want to interact with a stranger and be told arty farty stuff by a stuck up stranger who I'm paying to be told these things.

Here, it's brutal honesty from those alike from me, painful comedy to which I can really relate which in itself is therapeutic. It doesn't feel like until you've felt it and that's golden, you can't pay a GP or a healthcare professional for that.

It must have been the holiday before that , that I was thinking about - still it;'s good to hear that you are getting out and about.

You may think that this dog walking thing is a bit of a bind - but I find it's like pushing a pram- everyone stops and has a look and a talk about the baby (dog). It's one sure way of getting your face out there and meeting new people and finding new routes in an already familiar is quite exciting
and can become addictive.

Dal ati.

Feeling not too awful today. Just went out with some family friends (my dad's friends technically, but they're all sound and we just talk trash about footy, as they're fans of Tottingham and Villa, and have a cup of coffee/tea/whatever). Also I'm just a simple guy, so the sunny outside kinda went down well for me really; that and talking to people. Felt really pressured (by myself) and nearly didn't go, but went ahead with it in the end...

I might actually do some "updates" every so often, cuz as @Bryan says it's a kind of relief, really.

Thanks for reading and stuffs, lads/lasses. x

Long time reader but never posted on here. Anyway a lot of what people are saying here sounds familiar! Hard to leave the house, can't be arsed doing anything, can't sleep etc Tried coping with it on my own for a long time by drinking and smoking weed every night to get myself to sleep and stop my mind racing..obviously not the best idea so recently decided to go cold turkey and try and deal with it..booked an appointment with my GP which took a while cos I kept putting it off or bottling it. Had the appointment today anyway, they call my name I go in the gp's office, shut the door, sit down and burst into tears. On top of everything else I've got going on I'm sat there crying thinking I'm a grown man for God's sake! The GP was fantastic anyway not fazed in the slightest, asked a few questions talked through it a little bit then gave me the options and said 'where would you like to go from here' basically said you can go away and think about it, I can put you in group counselling, 1on1 counselling or I can prescribe antidepressants. Im going back next week anyway to decide on the best course of action which was my choice.
Anyway hopefully this is of some use to people on here, no shame in talking about it, no shame in crying it's a real thing you've got to deal with. I can't emphasise how much better I felt for biting the bullet and getting in there, something I should have done years ago. I'm not exactly singing from the rooftops but I don't feel half as [Poor language removed] as I know I can. Onwards and upwards from here

Question.

Does anyone have anxiety with crowded places eg. Social events.

I don't necessarily mean all the time. Just now and again.

Or a significant predisposition to avoid crowded places particularly in unfamiliar surroundings

Anxiety = stressful = unpleasant = racing thoughts = discomfort