Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Having a bit of a rough time with it atm. Just lost the motivation you know? Supposed to exercise and get out more but i did all that in high school (currently in uni) and I was still depressed then. Just stuck

Having a bit of a rough time with it atm. Just lost the motivation you know? Supposed to exercise and get out more but i did all that in high school (currently in uni) and I was still depressed then. Just stuck

Try and get a bit of sunshine. Eat some good food none of this crap and relax since stress hormones like Cortisol and stuff which people are suffering from anxiety are normally high over long periods which is bad for health. Short periods of this is good for you. Its long periods of stress and these high hormone levels that are bad for you.

Do something escapism like watch a good movie.

When you're a bit low the above is usually a good way of perking yourself up. Even a little bit is important.

Its a way of maintaining motivation when you need it.

Try and get a bit of sunshine. Eat some good food none of this crap and relax since stress hormones like Cortisol and stuff which people are suffering from anxiety are normally high over long periods which is bad for health. Short periods of this is good for you. Its long periods of stress and these high hormone levels that are bad for you.

Do something escapism like watch a good movie.

When you're a bit low the above is usually a good way of perking yourself up. Even a little bit is important.

Its a way of maintaining motivation when you need it.
Cheers for the reply mate. I get out a decent bit going to uni classes and all that but the food bit is where I need to get better. Usually eat a bunch of crap as I'm a terrible cook so it's usually heating up frozen food, etc.

Hey mate. I'm in Varsity and loving it, complete reverse to where I was at High School where I struggled with depression. What are you studying?
I'm quite analytical as a person (lawyers son e.t.c.) and I found that I was overanalysing stuff to the point where when something bad happened it would ruin my day, then something else minor that was bad would happen and it would all just build up and put me into the foulest of moods. It wasn't really anything huge as such, although there were a few incidents that were triggers etc, but just over analysing stuff and only really seeing the negatives just sent me on a bender. I kept talking to mates, and eventually saw (partly through their eyes, and my own) what I was doing to myself. Took me probably a year and a half of consistently working at being more relaxed and positive to change my whole midset on things and how I saw them, but I'm in a real good place now.

Hey mate. I'm in Varsity and loving it, complete reverse to where I was at High School where I struggled with depression. What are you studying?
I'm quite analytical as a person (lawyers son e.t.c.) and I found that I was overanalysing stuff to the point where when something bad happened it would ruin my day, then something else minor that was bad would happen and it would all just build up and put me into the foulest of moods. It wasn't really anything huge as such, although there were a few incidents that were triggers etc, but just over analysing stuff and only really seeing the negatives just sent me on a bender. I kept talking to mates, and eventually saw (partly through their eyes, and my own) what I was doing to myself. Took me probably a year and a half of consistently working at being more relaxed and positive to change my whole midset on things and how I saw them, but I'm in a real good place now.
Yeah that's exactly how I am. I overthink everything and all the little things tend to add up. Ironically enough, I'm studying psychology. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do going in but not only did I find the intro classes I took interesting but I figured I could help others who have to deal with mental illness

Cheers for the reply mate. I get out a decent bit going to uni classes and all that but the food bit is where I need to get better. Usually eat a bunch of crap as I'm a terrible cook so it's usually heating up frozen food, etc.

Food is dead important. Apparently in the UK curries and spicy food like mexican is popular as it lifts your mood.

But if you're eating bad you'll eventually start feeling bad.

Cooking is also a good relaxation technique. Italian food is just absolutely boss.

Cooking can be tedious but sometimes its good to just give it a go. Particularly at weekends.

Yeah that's exactly how I am. I overthink everything and all the little things tend to add up. Ironically enough, I'm studying psychology. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do going in but not only did I find the intro classes I took interesting but I figured I could help others who have to deal with mental illness
Yeah, I'm studying Physiotherapy (Physical Therapy as you're from the States) and I'm really enjoying it, fits who I am perfectly. I love it cause its all about helping people which is ace, and then theres the whole sports and just forming relationships with people which I enjoy. What worked for me won't necessarily work for you, but I found that while overanalysing was fine, I needed to acknowledge and appreciate the positive things, instead of solely focussing and getting caught up in the negatives all the time.
I also kind of restructured how I was with my mates, like I'm pretty out there so I had plenty of mates and was a bit of a social butterfly, but I never really was super tight with anyone. So I opened up after struggling for 6 months what I was going through with two of my closer mates I'd known for donkeys years, and built a really solid friendship with those boys, I've gone to war for them and them for me. With people that I could open up to at my back I went back to being real out there again, but it was easier to work through my depression when I had my boys to rely on as my core group, especially when [Poor language removed] went down.

Yeah, I'm studying Physiotherapy (Physical Therapy as you're from the States) and I'm really enjoying it, fits who I am perfectly. I love it cause its all about helping people which is ace, and then theres the whole sports and just forming relationships with people which I enjoy. What worked for me won't necessarily work for you, but I found that while overanalysing was fine, I needed to acknowledge and appreciate the positive things, instead of solely focussing and getting caught up in the negatives all the time.
I also kind of restructured how I was with my mates, like I'm pretty out there so I had plenty of mates and was a bit of a social butterfly, but I never really was super tight with anyone. So I opened up after struggling for 6 months what I was going through with two of my closer mates I'd known for donkeys years, and built a really solid friendship with those boys, I've gone to war for them and them for me. With people that I could open up to at my back I went back to being real out there again, but it was easier to work through my depression when I had my boys to rely on as my core group, especially when [Poor language removed] went down.
Cheers mate for the responses. you too @bizzaro. I was actually thinking of going into physical therapy before I landed on psych. Took an athletic injures class as an elective last semester and loved it. I'm more introverted and usually made friends through other friends, etc So I guess I just need to get my self out there more

Cheers mate for the responses. you too @bizzaro. I was actually thinking of going into physical therapy before I landed on psych. Took an athletic injures class as an elective last semester and loved it. I'm more introverted and usually made friends through other friends, etc So I guess I just need to get my self out there more
Honestly happy to help and listen mate. Just going out and doing things has always helped me, whether it be sport or chatting bubbles to mates of mates, takes my mind off the negatives and puts me in a better place. Going for a run out in the bush tracks we have fairly nearby is real good for me. Quiet, peaceful, and surrounded by the beauty of nature, get into a rhythm and pound away on that track taking your mind off whatever you were fretting about. Come back and you feel refreshed, have a clear mind and can work through the issues that you had. Anyhow its just gone 12 in NZ and I'm up at 5 so I should probably head off to sleep. PM me and I'd love to chat mate ;)

There was a news article couple years ago which shows exercise doesn't help depression; particularly not over a long period of time anyway...it's a bit of a myth apparently, which makes sense as when I was at my worst point with anxiety I was still hitting the gym everyday.

That's not to say it's a bad thing and it can definitely help at least a little bit, and generally does make you feel better, but if you do suffer from depression it is best to seek professional help.

There was a news article couple years ago which shows exercise doesn't help depression; particularly not over a long period of time anyway...it's a bit of a myth apparently, which makes sense as when I was at my worst point with anxiety I was still hitting the gym everyday.

That's not to say it's a bad thing and it can definitely help at least a little bit, and generally does make you feel better, but if you do suffer from depression it is best to seek professional help.
yeah think it's more of something to get my out of the house and just active in general. I currently go to counseling at my uni's health center every two weeks. cheers mate

yeah think it's more of something to get my out of the house and just active in general. I currently go to counseling at my uni's health center every two weeks. cheers mate
completely agree with you. I find it hard to find somewhere to go. ok I take the dog for a walk everyday but that feels more of a chore than actually going out.

On cognitive behavioural therapy your encouraged to plan out and balance your time doing different activities.

Work rest play.

Exercising is an important one. Its also about preventing "RUMINATION"

This is excessive focusing on previous events. Which is both a symptom of and cause of continued depression.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumination_(psychology)

Also its nonsense to say it doesn't impact stress/depression. Since scientific studies have proven exercise produces endorphins (these have been chemically measured by scientists) which give a feeling of pleasure and contentment.

I guess it depends on the degree of depression. Suicidal people - who are suffering chronic and severe depression obviously need professional help and support (and families support.) and exercise is not a one stop cure. Never was. Theres no such thing for depression.

But thats what the therapists are looking at. Every tool in the box to make people who are down (chronic depression) better by adjusting their life/lifestyle/views a little bit.

Have myself had serious and chronic depression. But you've just got to fight it.

Read about it. Learn what it is. Why it makes you feel/think the way it does. What's causing it. Understand it may comeback but be prepared for it.

My experience is - it's people who don't understand depression and how its making them feel/think that struggle most. Since they can't see how to address it without help. Since they don't have the experience of it.

Or the anxiety is overwhelming their natural ability to overcome it

Obviously people with trauma. They also need professional help in many cases. Due to the above. Overwhelming. Just keep fighting it.

Some people will never get depressed or understand it. These people lack "empathy". Extreme versions of this are personality disorders like narcissistic or sociopathic disorders.

These persons will likely have the least sympathy to a depressed person. more likely to to take advantage of them! These people/personality disorders exist. Its best to watch for them.

@bizzaro great post.

It's only exercise that gets me through the day at present to keep on top of work stresses. Am trying to focus on literally switching off for an hour or so a day.