Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Posted last week about a work related issue, About me getting shafted basically.
I went to my GP and he diagnosed me with reactive depression and prescribed some form of counselling(Not sure what it is yet)
I need to stay out of that environment for a while, which the Doctor agreed and signed me off work as well,
I have been off for a week now and generally feel a bit better in myself, until I go to bed that is, the lack of sleep is an absolute nightmare.
I have no doubt Occupational Health from work, will try to get me to go in to see them at some point (They just want you back in asap) which I'm not looking forward to and will ask them to come to see me, rather than me go in there.
The support off my Wife and kids has been spectacular and I'd truly be lost without them.
I'd also like to thank this site for giving me another format to air my troubles, even though they seem very trivial compared to others I have read on here.
Thanks to all.
At least you're trying to resolve the issue rather that ignore it.

Posted last week about a work related issue, About me getting shafted basically.
I went to my GP and he diagnosed me with reactive depression and prescribed some form of counselling(Not sure what it is yet)
I need to stay out of that environment for a while, which the Doctor agreed and signed me off work as well,
I have been off for a week now and generally feel a bit better in myself, until I go to bed that is, the lack of sleep is an absolute nightmare.
I have no doubt Occupational Health from work, will try to get me to go in to see them at some point (They just want you back in asap) which I'm not looking forward to and will ask them to come to see me, rather than me go in there.
The support off my Wife and kids has been spectacular and I'd truly be lost without them.
I'd also like to thank this site for giving me another format to air my troubles, even though they seem very trivial compared to others I have read on here.
Thanks to all.
I read your earlier post & didn't comment because it was too close to my current situation. I've just started a "performance improvement" program because I'm apparently not up to scratch. This is despite the fact that I have been telling them there's a serious resource issue in my team. Anyway, I got the Union in & they've been brilliant. If this is an option in your workplace, then I would encourage you to engage them.

Thanks to all.

To all,

I think it is important to realise that there is no such thing as a problem too small or trivial (in the eyes of the poster) not to be aired on this thread.

There's no minimum qualification - if there's something troubling you and therefore causing anxiety, depression or some other form of stress, then everyone should feel free to share with fellow blues.

At best you will get some sound advice which may be truly beneficial, at worst you've shared a problem that no-one will judge you by.

Good luck all and keep posting....

I read your earlier post & didn't comment because it was too close to my current situation. I've just started a "performance improvement" program because I'm apparently not up to scratch. This is despite the fact that I have been telling them there's a serious resource issue in my team. Anyway, I got the Union in & they've been brilliant. If this is an option in your workplace, then I would encourage you to engage them.

Thanks for the reply mate,
I've spoke to the Union, although it's not recognised in our place,
Because the new role is technically for another firm(our distribution branch has taken it over a part of it!) there's f all I can do about it,
Good luck on your role mate, Hope everything goes in your favour,
I didn't get told I wasn't up to it until after 8 years!

Because the new role is technically for another firm(our distribution branch has taken it over a part of it!) there's f all I can do about it,

Hi mate, not sure how practical this advice is as I don't know your trade or circumstances...

I often remind people that employment is a trade, your skills, experience and know how for a price - your wages and other conditions of employment.

As such don't fall into the trap of thinking you can only work for your current employer. Look around and see if there's a comparable or better position elsewhere. Don't forget it's easier to move whilst in employment than when out.

If nothing more looking around will give a fresh perspective on things, might lead to a better position or give you some leverage with your current employers.

If nothing else it gives you options and a greater degree of control over your future.

Hope this applies to your situation, apologies and ignore if it doesn't.

Hi mate, not sure how practical this advice is as I don't know your trade or circumstances...

I often remind people that employment is a trade, your skills, experience and know how for a price - your wages and other conditions of employment.

As such don't fall into the trap of thinking you can only work for your current employer. Look around and see if there's a comparable or better position elsewhere. Don't forget it's easier to move whilst in employment than when out.

If nothing more looking around will give a fresh perspective on things, might lead to a better position or give you some leverage with your current employers.

If nothing else it gives you options and a greater degree of control over your future.

Hope this applies to your situation, apologies and ignore if it doesn't.
Hello mate,
Your absolutely spot on,
I have today applied for 4/5 jobs and am even prepared to take a drop in dough,to find something where I am going to be treated as you would expect to be.
I have been 100 % true to myself while I've been working here and can take comfort in that fact alone.
The Mrs wants me to tell them to shove it,but I'm in no position to do so unfortunately!!
I am taking this time off to reflect on a lot of things and first of all getting my head together,
If another job comes up in that time it would be a bonus.
Thanks for the advice though mate.

Hello mate,
Your absolutely spot on,
I have today applied for 4/5 jobs and am even prepared to take a drop in dough,to find something where I am going to be treated as you would expect to be.
I have been 100 % true to myself while I've been working here and can take comfort in that fact alone.
The Mrs wants me to tell them to shove it,but I'm in no position to do so unfortunately!!
I am taking this time off to reflect on a lot of things and first of all getting my head together,
If another job comes up in that time it would be a bonus.
Thanks for the advice though mate.

Good to hear mate - I admire your personal integrity, well done.

Happy to help if you need it, either on the forum or privately, or not at all :) - entirely your call

Really good programme on ITV tonight, Secrets of the Asylum. Very interesting personal stories about how people were treated with Mental Health issues in years gone by.

Shame that. Many places like it sadly.

If push came to shove, I'd have to admit to being on the conservative side with my politics, but I've been around long enough to know that Unions are necessary and, where possible, should be encouraged.

Thanks mate, and well done for fooling them for 8 years! [/irony]

lol...I kid, I kid. The backpeddling can be amazing at times can't it?

Shame that. Many places like it sadly.

If push came to shove, I'd have to admit to being on the conservative side with my politics, but I've been around long enough to know that Unions are necessary and, where possible, should be encouraged.

The thing is that some businesses with incompetents in charge(like my place) will often benefit from having a union in place,
We've had loads of people having disciplinarys over turned, due to them not following procedures and stuff and other very poorly handled situations.

Thanks mate, and well done for fooling them for 8 years! [/irony]

lol...I kid, I kid. The backpeddling can be amazing at times can't it?

Ha ha ,I suppose I've had a good run like ! :)

Hello, me again.

Still feeling the same, but this time more stress, which could, if things spin my way, lead to something better for a while. I have to go back home for a few weeks (bank/loan issues, nothing serious or anything), and I'll go alone, which means I've got the freedom to be by myself, which is what I wanted in the first place. Plus all my people are there, like...

That's pretty much it, not much of an update as such, but it's something which I am somewhat stressed and excited about. Thanks for reading again! x

Hello, me again.

Still feeling the same, but this time more stress, which could, if things spin my way, lead to something better for a while. I have to go back home for a few weeks (bank/loan issues, nothing serious or anything), and I'll go alone, which means I've got the freedom to be by myself, which is what I wanted in the first place. Plus all my people are there, like...

That's pretty much it, not much of an update as such, but it's something which I am somewhat stressed and excited about. Thanks for reading again! x

Good luck mate, make the time spent with "your people" a good one...... :)