Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Long time reader but never posted on here. Anyway a lot of what people are saying here sounds familiar! Hard to leave the house, can't be arsed doing anything, can't sleep etc Tried coping with it on my own for a long time by drinking and smoking weed every night to get myself to sleep and stop my mind racing..obviously not the best idea so recently decided to go cold turkey and try and deal with it..booked an appointment with my GP which took a while cos I kept putting it off or bottling it. Had the appointment today anyway, they call my name I go in the gp's office, shut the door, sit down and burst into tears. On top of everything else I've got going on I'm sat there crying thinking I'm a grown man for God's sake! The GP was fantastic anyway not fazed in the slightest, asked a few questions talked through it a little bit then gave me the options and said 'where would you like to go from here' basically said you can go away and think about it, I can put you in group counselling, 1on1 counselling or I can prescribe antidepressants. Im going back next week anyway to decide on the best course of action which was my choice.
Anyway hopefully this is of some use to people on here, no shame in talking about it, no shame in crying it's a real thing you've got to deal with. I can't emphasise how much better I felt for biting the bullet and getting in there, something I should have done years ago. I'm not exactly singing from the rooftops but I don't feel half as [Poor language removed] as I know I can. Onwards and upwards from here

Well done mate for posting this on here. Very brave, although I hope you know there's no-one judging you here.

Good luck going forwards and I am sure that if you want to post more in this thread you will receive sound advice.

Alternatively you can have a private conversation with anyone here too.......

Question.

Does anyone have anxiety with crowded places eg. Social events.

I don't necessarily mean all the time. Just now and again.

Or a significant predisposition to avoid crowded places particularly in unfamiliar surroundings

Anxiety = stressful = unpleasant = racing thoughts = discomfort
Well I am like that most the time, but in general: yes, even when feeling good/better. It doesn't help when you're at a new place (uni, in my case) and you don't even want to meet anyone, really.

It's World Suicide Prevention Day today, sometimes all people need is someone to listen and give some perspective. Hope everyone is well.
Ironically, I've not felt this bad in ages and the thought crossed my mind quite a lot earlier, for the first time in a long, long time.

Hope everyone else is well.

What a fantastic thread!

I've been depressed for about 10 years on and off. Its not something that just goes away unfortunately. I've tried different types of treatments, some helpful some not so much. I take sertraline tablets but as someone said earlier they can 'numb' you to the outside world.

Bizzaro, I feel like that on a daily basis, you're not alone.

Just want to say that its not just youngsters affected by this horrible illness, I'm 42 and making the leap of telling someone how you feel is just as daunting. I will say try to do it tho, you may find that the best support comes from the most unlikely of sources. In my case its been my parents who are both in their 70's and were of the 'old school' just pull yourself together brigade at first but have researched and are brilliantly supportive.

Well I am like that most the time, but in general: yes, even when feeling good/better. It doesn't help when you're at a new place (uni, in my case) and you don't even want to meet anyone, really.

Ironically, I've not felt this bad in ages and the thought crossed my mind quite a lot earlier, for the first time in a long, long time.

Hope everyone else is well.
It's a thought that crosses many a depressed persons mind. My only thought would be that if you threw you cards in early you don't know what could have been.

Not posted in this thread before but just wanted to share this. I Work in a high pressured job, anyone reporting stress/anxiety has to be referred for CBT cognitive behaviour therapy.
Beginning of this summer I really went under, massive pressure at home with my kid who has behaviour problems coupled with the job I do. Diagnosed by Gp with severe anxiety mild depression. Horrible racing negative thoughts, became obsessed that there was going to be imminent world war. Convinced myself I was going mad. Kept crying all the time and felt a complete tit and utter failure because of it.
Very strange experience. Anyway if this sounds familiar to anyone else try and get CBT. It helped me massively. I feel back to my old self of happy go lucky and optimistic. Have the occasional bad day but vast improvement.
Before this happened to me I was so cynical about stress/depression/anxiety. Now I take it seriously, it's awful.

Not posted in this thread before but just wanted to share this. I Work in a high pressured job, anyone reporting stress/anxiety has to be referred for CBT cognitive behaviour therapy.
Beginning of this summer I really went under, massive pressure at home with my kid who has behaviour problems coupled with the job I do. Diagnosed by Gp with severe anxiety mild depression. Horrible racing negative thoughts, became obsessed that there was going to be imminent world war. Convinced myself I was going mad. Kept crying all the time and felt a complete tit and utter failure because of it.
Very strange experience. Anyway if this sounds familiar to anyone else try and get CBT. It helped me massively. I feel back to my old self of happy go lucky and optimistic. Have the occasional bad day but vast improvement.
Before this happened to me I was so cynical about stress/depression/anxiety. Now I take it seriously, it's awful.

Thanks mate for sharing, I'm sure this will be of benefit to the GOT community.

Glad to hear you got support when needed and it produced positive results. Valuable lesson in itself....

CBT is just one part of getting help.

Other types of support and councilling are available.

Also for people with severe and chronic depression that may be linked to trauma. Medication is also available and should not be stigmatised.

Having received prozac in the past and at the time needed it.

Its not for everyone and its not a lifelong thing but if you've had for example years of abuse or similar traumatic experiences it could be a useful thing to ease the symptoms whilst councilling/therapy takes its course.

Thats an insight.

Its not for everyone but don't rule it out.

Doesn't make someone less of a man/woman or person. Or "weak".

No one has anything to feel shame about with having depression. Many things cause it. Its not just feeling "sad". Its far more pernicious and insidious.

CBT is just one part of getting help.

Other types of support and councilling are available.

Also for people with severe and chronic depression that may be linked to trauma. Medication is also available and should not be stigmatised.

Having received prozac in the past and at the time needed it.

Its not for everyone and its not a lifelong thing but if you've had for example years of abuse or similar traumatic experiences it could be a useful thing to ease the symptoms whilst councilling/therapy takes its course.

Thats an insight.

Its not for everyone but don't rule it out.

Doesn't make someone less of a man/woman or person. Or "weak".

No one has anything to feel shame about with having depression. Many things cause it. Its not just feeling "sad". Its far more pernicious and insidious.
Yeah mate I agree . I was offered medication but I completely baulked at the thought of it. You're right there is no shame in it at all but I definitely still thing there is one hell of a stigma attached to the whole area especially for young men.

Yeah mate I agree . I was offered medication but I completely baulked at the thought of it. You're right there is no shame in it at all but I definitely still thing there is one hell of a stigma attached to the whole area especially for young men.

Its tough for people to understand. Depression at least my experience is it comes and goes. Tonight, I can feel its there but am fighting it off with a stick on here.

Its the way it is. If you stop fighting for a second it can slip past your defences.

Just think positive and fight it constantly. Its possible.

This weekend time to do some things and get out and about.

Its tough for people to understand. Depression at least my experience is it comes and goes. Tonight, I can feel its there but am fighting it off with a stick on here.

Its the way it is. If you stop fighting for a second it can slip past your defences.

Just think positive and fight it constantly. Its possible.

This weekend time to do some things and get out and about.

Indeed mate, have a good one and COYB

I have a good Dr. helping me. He tried me on something called Effexor I think and I told him that I felt no change. He doubled the dosage & it was the same result. Instead of pushing it higher, he's bringing me off it. I'm glad that he takes it seriously & just doesn't keep raising the dosage until it works. I hope you all can find a GP like mine that listens but doesn't just keep writing scripts out.

I feel like I've gone backwards rapidly in the last 5 days. Just no motivation to even get out of bed right now.

Hi, I read your previous posts and it seemed that being "among your own people" was very important to you. So who is the person (when you're feeling good) you'd most like to see out of available friends and family?

Give him or her a call or a text asking can you get together as soon as possible, then you have something to look forward to and focus on.

Not sure if I should give a direct opinion, but from experience having the company of someone you like, love or respect always helps even if it is for a short time.

Talking on here probably helps a little too. Good luck xx