Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Thank you all for the replies.
I saw the doctor this morning and was prescribed diazepam in the short term. I will also be seeking counselling later on, I think it would benefit my daughter too.
It will be a long process but we’ll take one day at a time and hopefully someday come out the other side 💙 xx
Best of luck, we're all thinking of you, the darkness doesn't last forever, there is a brighter tomorrow eventually. :)

Just a quick update on my current situation. I basically started having a new bout of intrusive thoughts along a similar theme to last time following a recent weekend away with friends, so self-referred myself through local healthcare provider. Long story short but it appears to be a form of OCD that has developed, which makes a fair bit of sense now when I think about it. Hopefully going to start some CBT in the coming weeks so hopefully this will help.

Just a quick update on my current situation. I basically started having a new bout of intrusive thoughts along a similar theme to last time following a recent weekend away with friends, so self-referred myself through local healthcare provider. Long story short but it appears to be a form of OCD that has developed, which makes a fair bit of sense now when I think about it. Hopefully going to start some CBT in the coming weeks so hopefully this will help.
Jackboy what happend on your " Weekend away " and how did the " intrusive thoughts " manifest themselves. Just wondering if both are " connected " buddy ?

Jackboy what happend on your " Weekend away " and how did the " intrusive thoughts " manifest themselves. Just wondering if both are " connected " buddy ?
Absolutely nothing of interest mate and that's where my concern came from. The thoughts only begin to manifest some days after when I start ruminating over every inch of a night out and constantly seeking reassurance.

Had to put our 13 year old staffy down as he suddenly started having seizures on friday..13 on the way back the vets after his first one. Even seizuring on the table when they were putting him to sleep. I knew I would be upset when he went but fell sick all the time and don't want to eat. Don't even want to put his bowl and bed etc away.
I'm so sorry. Pets are so much part of our lives and family. I'm sure your staffy lived his absolute best life with you x

Absolutely nothing of interest mate and that's where my concern came from. The thoughts only begin to manifest some days after when I start ruminating over every inch of a night out and constantly seeking reassurance.
This is staying the obvious for you but it's you being very hard on yourself. Thinking " what did I do wrong, did I do anything embarrassing whilst out ?. You probably did do something " embarrassing " but so did all of your friends probably. I'd say you'd have just cause if you have a Bi Polar diagnosis where part of " illness " is going over the top, being manic and doing outlandish things because for you it's just you having a good time. The reflective phase of BPD is excruciating for the sufferer. The intrusive thoughts symptomatic of going through a situation - for you a night out - and trying to work out what you did " wrong ". Conversely my friend if you don't have a BPD diagnosis, then try if possible to think in general terms. Your no different to any of your friends. I'm sure I can speak for everyone in saying we have all been on a night out and thought next day " did I really do that. Easy for me to say - don't beat yourself up - but as I say, if possible try not to think about being too reflective. I'm sure you don't have to admonish yourself to much, I suggest your just a normal person with a few anxiety problems, who with some self reflection, normalising and insight, can minimalise your catastrophising thoughts. I do hope I have made sense, take care fella.

Had to put our 13 year old staffy down as he suddenly started having seizures on friday..13 on the way back the vets after his first one. Even seizuring on the table when they were putting him to sleep. I knew I would be upset when he went but fell sick all the time and don't want to eat. Don't even want to put his bowl and bed etc away.
Blue you've given your beloved pet 13 years of love and companionship. Comfort yourself in this. Many on here will recollect my thinking on having pets, dogs especially. I protect myself and don't have a Dog because I don't want to go through the pain you are going through buddy. I've always thought of myself as a bit of a coward where this is concerned. My wife says I can't think like that, that I should have a pet and share my life with it. I have a lot of love to give a pet and my wife is right. In time I will get a dog and will happily share that news with the good folk on here.

I'm sorry for your loss, I have always as a psychy nurse, subscribed to the therapeutic affect dogs / pets have on our mental health. I hope you find some peace of mind and I envy you for the wonderful times you've had with your dog. What fantastic memories you must have. Take care my friend.

Hello, thank you so much for your supportive messages, the insurance company is being... well what insurance companies are, a right pain in the a#se.
But luckily the job i was doing before was very well paying so i have enough in savings to get a new van, it will take a little time because as we all know with this illness, motivation is sometimes at a premium and unfortunately at the moment i don't trust (or am ready for) myself to take on the responsibilities of owning a van just yet. That time will come the medication i am on is working wonders.
I'm spending my day's (very much needed precious rest time, like many I've always worked 60-70+ hours a week) drawing up plans for the layout of the van and correcting (hopefully) the mistakes i made the first time.
The way i look at it is there must be a reason it happened... Hopefully it's a gateway to something far superior to what i managed the first time, and a catalyst for big much needed changes in my life/work balance.

Once again thank you so much for the support and everyone on here please promise me you will try to stay positive, safe and above all receptive to the outstanding advice that is in abundance on this page.

Respect.

Hello, thank you so much for your supportive messages, the insurance company is being... well what insurance companies are, a right pain in the a#se.
But luckily the job i was doing before was very well paying so i have enough in savings to get a new van, it will take a little time because as we all know with this illness, motivation is sometimes at a premium and unfortunately at the moment i don't trust (or am ready for) myself to take on the responsibilities of owning a van just yet. That time will come the medication i am on is working wonders.
I'm spending my day's (very much needed precious rest time, like many I've always worked 60-70+ hours a week) drawing up plans for the layout of the van and correcting (hopefully) the mistakes i made the first time.
The way i look at it is there must be a reason it happened... Hopefully it's a gateway to something far superior to what i managed the first time, and a catalyst for big much needed changes in my life/work balance.

Once again thank you so much for the support and everyone on here please promise me you will try to stay positive, safe and above all receptive to the outstanding advice that is in abundance on this page.

Respect.
That’s a great and very positive post mate 👍

Some great and more detailed advice on here. Can’t say I’ve got stuck thinking about past events and how people perceived me, but I’ve had (have) issues in overthinking upcoming events in similar terms.

Very noddy and a bit basic, but I’ve always sought to frame it as if you see someone doing something daft, behaving awkwardly, having a big zit, saying something stupid or even offensive you will notice it, sure, but do you honestly remember it going forward, even after a few minutes? Even with friends. Of course not. I/we are insignificant in the lives of 99.99% of people we ever come into contact with. I’m sure if I ever truly offended anyone I would hope and expect them to let me know there and then with a solid and deserved slap. I’ve never been slapped so 🤷‍♂️.

Hope the CBT gets sorted. Seems the sort of cyclical thoughts it is perfect for disrupting. You will be good I’m sure
🤜🤛

Some great and more detailed advice on here. Can’t say I’ve got stuck thinking about past events and how people perceived me, but I’ve had (have) issues in overthinking upcoming events in similar terms.

Very noddy and a bit basic, but I’ve always sought to frame it as if you see someone doing something daft, behaving awkwardly, having a big zit, saying something stupid or even offensive you will notice it, sure, but do you honestly remember it going forward, even after a few minutes? Even with friends. Of course not. I/we are insignificant in the lives of 99.99% of people we ever come into contact with. I’m sure if I ever truly offended anyone I would hope and expect them to let me know there and then with a solid and deserved slap. I’ve never been slapped so 🤷‍♂️.

Hope the CBT gets sorted. Seems the sort of cyclical thoughts it is perfect for disrupting. You will be good I’m sure
🤜🤛

Thanks for the response mate, summed the situation up well.

Apparently it is based on "Ego-dystonic" thoughts. So I will question did X, Y or Z happen, then any doubt is amplified to the max and I'll find myself seeking reassurance and then rinse and repeat. This despite the fact there's not a single bit of evidence that any of the events have ever occured is what has led to me reaching out. As without a suitable way of dealing with it, I feel like I will always be able to find something to doubt.

Will report back with how the CBT goes but here's hoping it helps me better manage it.

Thanks for the response mate, summed the situation up well.

Apparently it is based on "Ego-dystonic" thoughts. So I will question did X, Y or Z happen, then any doubt is amplified to the max and I'll find myself seeking reassurance and then rinse and repeat. This despite the fact there's not a single bit of evidence that any of the events have ever occured is what has led to me reaching out. As without a suitable way of dealing with it, I feel like I will always be able to find something to doubt.

Will report back with how the CBT goes but here's hoping it helps me better manage it.

It should do mate.

The biggest step for me was letting go of the intrusive thoughts.

They still come in from time to time, but nowhere near as much.

I was like you. Every single interaction I had I renominated on and always came out with a negative opinion of myself.

Throw yourself fully into anything your therapist ask you to do. It will seem very daunting but fully worth it for the end result.

It should do mate.

The biggest step for me was letting go of the intrusive thoughts.

They still come in from time to time, but nowhere near as much.

I was like you. Every single interaction I had I renominated on and always came out with a negative opinion of myself.

Throw yourself fully into anything your therapist ask you to do. It will seem very daunting but fully worth it for the end result.

Thanks for the positive words mate, they mean a lot.

Will try to avoid clogging this thread up just with my own tribulations but will definitely post an update with how I go.

Yeah I'll be honest it does make me anxious but at the same time it's not like what I have been doing has been working either.

I think one of my main issues was thinking that my form of OCD (false memory) was different or worse than anybody else's. Which I now know is just not the case at all.