Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Hi all,

As if 2020 wasn't already tough enough, in May I found out my wife was having an affair with a co-worker for roughly a year. She says she didn't want the affair and felt trapped and unable to get out. She puts this down to her own troubles with mental health (which were unknown), and it appears she may have had post-natal depression as the affair started about 8 months after the birth of our son. The post-natal depression seems to have built on top of long standing despression and the co-worker 'appears' to have done all the leg work and almost groomed my wife into a position where she entered the affair as an escape form her troubles even though she told him she didn't want the affair and then tried to end it repeatedly. I say 'appeared' as I only have her word for it.

The whole thing has completely shook me to the core as it was so out the blue. Unsurprisingly I've entered a state of feeling extremely depressed myself in the aftermath. She ensures she loves me and wants to be with me and improve our marriage. I have had individual counselling but didn't feel it worked for me and I'm now on antidepressants from my GP. However, I'm sure if they are having much effect- I know I need to speak to my GP about this, maybe up the dosage for example. We also had some couples counselling and she is now having her own therapy to deal with her depression and hopefully give me some answers as to why this happened as "I was depressed" isn't enough for me, I need more substance so I can feel confident this will never happen again IF we stay together.

I yoyo constantly between wanting to stay and leaving. I worry about me retaliating (having an affair/fling). I worry it may happen again. I worry I'm being unfair to leave if it's due to her mental health condition. I worry I want to find the bloke and knock him out - particularly if he did manipulate her into staying when she repeatedly said she wants to end it/leave. I worry the pain I feel might get too much and cause me to do something stupid (I'm nowhere near doing anything stupid at the minute)

I guess I'm reaching out;

1) to see if anyone has unfortunately experienced a similar situation and can offer any guidance or advice
2) to ask if anyone else has used mirtazapine - did they see any improvement in their mood?
3) any other help or advice people may have.

Sorry for the essay!

TIA

UTFT

Sorry to hear this mate. Lots of good advice given already, which is what makes this thread so great.

It’s one of those frustrating, grown-up scenarios where there’s really no right answer. Once you’re able to quiet your mind sufficiently, the right thing to do will be there, in your gut.

There’ll be pain whichever way you choose to go, so resist the urge to doubt yourself. We’re all here and I hope you have a decent support network IRL.

I wish you the best of luck, mate.

Hi guys ive stalked this site for many, many years and only signed up because the mods made me or I couldn't access site lol. I always said if I ever posted I would come on this thread and tell everyone who responds to posts in this thread or clicks in because there's been a new post that I think you all are amazing, wonderful caring people who offer any help they can for people they'll never meet. I'm not going to mention names you all know who you are or you wouldn't have clicked on thread. You helped me too, years ago when I was going through a bad time even though I hadn't signed up like many that are probably reading this now 2 posters were going through situations similar to my own so your advice to them helped me so know you are helping not only those that post but also those that are unable and/or unwilling. So on my behalf and those that never come back to update us on how they're doing God bess and THANK YOU ALL.

Got til end of month and no I'm a contracter, but been with same org for over a year. Name of the game I suppose just annoyed at the circumstances.

Bummer mate, was it because of downturn due to the virus ?

Are you in construction or similar, as all the lads I know on the tools have never been busier at the mo and most are turning work away.

Bummer mate, was it because of downturn due to the virus ?

Are you in construction or similar, as all the lads I know on the tools have never been busier at the mo and most are turning work away.

Dunno mate. Not really been given a reason but will ask when next in.

In IT. Worked throughout pandemic and aye never been busier either. Think management has it in for me tbh. Passed me up for a perm role, but gave it to some divvy x

Dunno mate. Not really been given a reason but will ask when next in.

In IT. Worked throughout pandemic and aye never been busier either. Think management has it in for me tbh. Passed me up for a perm role, but gave it to some divvy x

Must be jobs out there in IT for contractors with all that’s going on - less full time staff getting taken on ?

Hi guys ive stalked this site for many, many years and only signed up because the mods made me or I couldn't access site lol. I always said if I ever posted I would come on this thread and tell everyone who responds to posts in this thread or clicks in because there's been a new post that I think you all are amazing, wonderful caring people who offer any help they can for people they'll never meet. I'm not going to mention names you all know who you are or you wouldn't have clicked on thread. You helped me too, years ago when I was going through a bad time even though I hadn't signed up like many that are probably reading this now 2 posters were going through situations similar to my own so your advice to them helped me so know you are helping not only those that post but also those that are unable and/or unwilling. So on my behalf and those that never come back to update us on how they're doing God bess and THANK YOU ALL.
Nice one earwig. My sentiments exactly. Just to hear someone say something as simple as " we are here for you " means people are valued and have something to give. Said to a number of people on here, and I'm passionate about it, but helping someone gives you a lift, lifts your own self esteem. Lovely words and I'm confident you speak for everyone with regards the worth of this thread. Cheers.

Sorry to hear that m8. One of the things I would be considering while it's sinking is volunteering. Keeps you busy, mind ticking over, it's probably gonna be good for your mental health and might open some doors. Keep talking to loved ones and friends. Good luck Dan.

Appreciate the comment mate.

Aye done volunteering before so might be an option. Gonna job hunt soon like.

I'm okay, thank you for asking. Being able to have the service in spite of COVID, was I think, a big plus mentally.

I was there holding her hand when my mom passed and was able to talk her through all of that and tell her how much she meant to me - even though I am positive she knew.

I wasn't able to do that for Dad and even though I told him often that I loved him, I wish I could have been there at the end to really be sure he knew and to let him know I forgave him. I also find myself really being upset that he was alone, because I'm afraid he was scared there by himself at the end (even though the paramedics assured me it was very quick). I still wish I could have been there to hold him and let him know it would be okay. In the quiet moments i think about that a lot.

Still, I have really great support from my wife and boys, and the return to routine is helpful.

I really appreciate the folks here who have been so supportive. It helps.
" I was there holding her hand when she passed ". When my dad was dying I never saw him. Family his friends and my friends all encouraged me to go and see him bug I didn't. I adored him, he had a personality to die for but he had his faults. He drank himself to death and as I have said before on here, my boys were very young and he wasn't going to be there for them. I thought he was selfish. He was, but I misread the whole thing, protected myself from the inevitable pain I would experience I would have felt so I didn't go to his funeral. It's was apparently choka, standing room only, hanging out the back door of the church but his first son - me - wasn't there. Morally I was a coward, I was selfish and judged him. Me, the man who has made so many mistakes I can't remember them all. I tell my brother's and sisters how cowardly I was and they are so supportive, support I don't deserve. This anacdote has a cautionary tale to tell. It's about judging people, how we should look at ourselves before casting aspersions about other. The saying in the Bible " don't try to pull the spelc from your neighbours eye before you pull the plank from your own " is so so applicable to me. Holding your mum's hand as she was dying is so good, so " human ". I always try to learn from people, their experiences because it's just so " real ". I hope you continue hogwild to look after yourself and loved ones. Strange how we can derive " something good " from the very painfull, heartbreaking experience of another. Cheers m8.

" I was there holding her hand when she passed ". When my dad was dying I never saw him. Family his friends and my friends all encouraged me to go and see him bug I didn't. I adored him, he had a personality to die for but he had his faults. He drank himself to death and as I have said before on here, my boys were very young and he wasn't going to be there for them. I thought he was selfish. He was, but I misread the whole thing, protected myself from the inevitable pain I would experience I would have felt so I didn't go to his funeral. It's was apparently choka, standing room only, hanging out the back door of the church but his first son - me - wasn't there. Morally I was a coward, I was selfish and judged him. Me, the man who has made so many mistakes I can't remember them all. I tell my brother's and sisters how cowardly I was and they are so supportive, support I don't deserve. This anacdote has a cautionary tale to tell. It's about judging people, how we should look at ourselves before casting aspersions about other. The saying in the Bible " don't try to pull the spelc from your neighbours eye before you pull the plank from your own " is so so applicable to me. Holding your mum's hand as she was dying is so good, so " human ". I always try to learn from people, their experiences because it's just so " real ". I hope you continue hogwild to look after yourself and loved ones. Strange how we can derive " something good " from the very painfull, heartbreaking experience of another. Cheers m8.
Hi Spotty, mate you sound really low there reading through that. There sounds alot of hurt, guilt and regret in your post-which is perfectly normal - Only good people feel regret mate. If I remember correctly like myself you're catholic and I'd just like to say The road to heaven is paved with regrets. Those who never feel guilty or sorry for what they have done are destined to become slaves to their own desires. My dad's anniversary is a few days away, he was my best friend and I'll always have regrets of what I could and should have done more. Read St. Augustine he was a proper badboy a real rogue but through his regrets he was able to turn his life around become a priest then a Saint. If I could give you any advice mate because it sounds like it's your heart and soul that's hurting you should go find a good traditional priest (not the novus ordo ones they rush you in and out) I don't know where you live but I'm sure there's an fssp or icksp parish near you and ask for a General Confession and then spill every feeling and regret out they're great at listening and helping, you'll honestly feel a million times better. Trust me mate you really will God bless mate.