Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Hi all,
My name is Edward James, and I'm looking for advice on what I should do in my situation.
I went to a GP in September to seek advice on anxiety, stress and OCD, and was told to put myself into self referral, as most people don't go to appointments referred to by doctors (not a great start). That all started a spiral into what eventually became suicidal thoughts, which have cropped up last few weeks, as well. So now I've been feeling demotivated in everything in life. After speaking to work colleagues and bosses and friends, I've had a couple of weeks off work, but I don't feel motivated to go back yet, I don't feel motivated to make YouTube videos either, or do most things I enjoy. In fact the only thing that has kept me on Earth is my family, from blood, life, and from Everton matches.
I eventually got through on self referral to Access Sefton, but I'm now on a waiting list of 6-8 months for any counselling I'm in need of. So if I have to, I may have to go to a paid counsellor. Which doesn't help when I already have to pay football matches, and a car.

So now, every time I get near to clarification of help, it's just another set back or wait.
And now I'm asking starting to ask "what's the point" again?

Any advice, or help on what I can do, I would be grateful. As I've been told this forum can be really helpful.

Many thanks, Edward James (@edward_a_james on Twitter)

Hi all,
My name is Edward James, and I'm looking for advice on what I should do in my situation.
I went to a GP in September to seek advice on anxiety, stress and OCD, and was told to put myself into self referral, as most people don't go to appointments referred to by doctors (not a great start). That all started a spiral into what eventually became suicidal thoughts, which have cropped up last few weeks, as well. So now I've been feeling demotivated in everything in life. After speaking to work colleagues and bosses and friends, I've had a couple of weeks off work, but I don't feel motivated to go back yet, I don't feel motivated to make YouTube videos either, or do most things I enjoy. In fact the only thing that has kept me on Earth is my family, from blood, life, and from Everton matches.
I eventually got through on self referral to Access Sefton, but I'm now on a waiting list of 6-8 months for any counselling I'm in need of. So if I have to, I may have to go to a paid counsellor. Which doesn't help when I already have to pay football matches, and a car.

So now, every time I get near to clarification of help, it's just another set back or wait.

Any advice, or help on what I can do, I would be grateful. As I've been told this forum can be really helpful.

Get back to your doctor ASAP

Hi all,

Hi mate, as @Groucho says go back to your GP and tell him / her everything that you’ve said there inc the fact that you’re having suicidal thoughts.

They should make you an urgent appointment to see a CPN - Community Psychiatric Nurse, who will evacuate your mental state.

Hopefully that may / should speed things up.

Keep posting mate, you’ll find lots of support and lots of people on here have been through similar and can give good advice.

Hi all,

Hi Edward, hope you’re feeling at least a little better this morning. As advised above, get back to your GP and explain in detail how you’re feeling. Make an emergency appointment if necessary - this warrants one.Worth knowing from your work bosses if they have a counselling or EAP service available through work too.

Keep us posted, mate.

Hi all,

As everyone here suggested, you need to go to the GP ASAP, and get in touch with your local crisis team. They are usually the best to help you. Keep in touch Edward.

Hi all,

Mate you are not on your own.

Contact Mersey care , go to the life rooms for the recovery college they even have places in Sefton ( Hugh Baird and Southport)

I find the courses they do are as good as any counselling as you are hearing from people in situations similar to your own .

Get down and register on courses that suit you . You have any questions DM me I’m happy to help

Hi all,

Ask your GP for help much sooner than that 6-8 month counseling appointment. As in, immediately. Can you think of anything that precipitated this sudden change? Sometimes we just have [Poor language removed] days.

I'm a big fan of the phrase: never make permanent decisions based on short-term feelings or happenings. These moments typically don't allow us the perspective to see the other side of the coin. There is some bad in life, but there is also just as much possibility for good.

Hi all,

Hi mate. Any update?

Please keep posting in here. I was really low a couple of years back. This thread along with GP and counsellor support helped me get sorted.

To echo what others have said, make another appointment to see your GP.

Hello everyone,
I'm Alex. I feel like a bit of an imposter on here, I'm not an Evertonian but if I could choose my team I would have been. I'm a mate of @Adam-GOTTV 's from school and he told me once that I'd always be welcomed here, and that this thread has been a great help to many people.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice or opinions on my situation. I've been having a bad time lately, and everything has got on top again, especially the suicidal thoughts. They started up a couple of weeks ago, and then a big row with the girl I love at the weekend sent them into overdrive. I wish I could still say my girlfriend, who is probably the only person thats kept me going until now, and without her I'm feeling very lost. I've always struggled with depression and anxiety, and recently-ish (maybe 12 months) OCD. I can't leave my flat without checking that the door is locked 9 times (I have to count 3 lots of 3's), and video that things like the taps are off before I leave so I can re-assure myself later in the day that my flat isn't flooded, it sounds so stupid writing it down. On Monday I finally gave myself the kick up the arse and walked into my doctors' who called me back later in the day because I need to get help. I have an appointment with them on the 4th of November, and they referred me here - https://listeningplace.org.uk/ I'm so full of anxiety that they don't think I need help and I'm just wasting everybody's time. I tried to get help in May and bottled it because I felt like that and just got back on the drink. I'm doing the right thing here, aren't I?

I need to get off the booze, its not helping. I hope I've made some sense.

Many thanks,
Alex

Hello everyone,
I'm Alex. I feel like a bit of an imposter on here, I'm not an Evertonian but if I could choose my team I would have been. I'm a mate of @Adam-GOTTV 's from school and he told me once that I'd always be welcomed here, and that this thread has been a great help to many people.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice or opinions on my situation. I've been having a bad time lately, and everything has got on top again, especially the suicidal thoughts. They started up a couple of weeks ago, and then a big row with the girl I love at the weekend sent them into overdrive. I wish I could still say my girlfriend, who is probably the only person thats kept me going until now, and without her I'm feeling very lost. I've always struggled with depression and anxiety, and recently-ish (maybe 12 months) OCD. I can't leave my flat without checking that the door is locked 9 times (I have to count 3 lots of 3's), and video that things like the taps are off before I leave so I can re-assure myself later in the day that my flat isn't flooded, it sounds so stupid writing it down. On Monday I finally gave myself the kick up the arse and walked into my doctors' who called me back later in the day because I need to get help. I have an appointment with them on the 4th of November, and they referred me here - https://listeningplace.org.uk/ I'm so full of anxiety that they don't think I need help and I'm just wasting everybody's time. I tried to get help in May and bottled it because I felt like that and just got back on the drink. I'm doing the right thing here, aren't I?

Many thanks,
Alex
You Merseyside based mate ?

Good for you for getting help @PlanAlex. I chuckle because I have OCD to that level too. It's not nearly as bad now, thankfully. I used to take photos of everything in my apartment to be able to check that I had turned everything off. I was so fearful of leaving something on that would start a fire and would injure or even cause death to someone else. It would sometimes take me thirty minutes, not exaggerating, before I would leave my apartment.

Fear is a big driver for things like OCD, and emotion in general. Understanding where your fear comes from is very helpful in understanding how to manage it.

And yes, anything that is psychoactive like alcohol, cigs, etc can be a big detriment to your mental health. Especially if those things become habitual. Your body becomes reliant on that habit and has adapted to that as the new normal. Natural rewards then seem blah because most natural rewards can't even touch the high of things like nicotine, alcohol, or especially the stronger drugs like coke. Nicotine alone can deliver 150% the amount of dopamine rush of something natural like finishing a painting, getting a promotion, etc.

Also, who is saying don't need help and are wasting people's time?

Hello everyone,

Many thanks,
Alex

You`ve made loads of sense there mate and by opening up you`ve made the first massive step to getting better.

I`m no expert, but I`d hazard a guess that you`re OCD is linked to your increasing levels of anxiety ?

You`re brain becomes locked into a constant and all consuming cycle of negative thoughts.

The first thing your GP will probably do is prescribe you medication, this is to stabilise your anxiety / depression.

They get called " happy pills ", they`re nothing of the sort, they`re taken to hopefully make you feel " normal " again.

They`re not an exact science though and it can be quite hit and miss until you find the ones right for you.

They can also take up to 2/3 weeks before they start working too.

Be honest with your GP, as the more info they have the more they can help you.

The therapy side of things normally comes later, as there`s usually a waiting list.

There`s loads on here who`ve been in similar situations to yourself mate and try to look upon your depression / anxiety, as an illness, that`s nothing to be ashamed off.

At the end of the day your head can get ill, same as any other part of your body.

Keep posting mate.

Ps - I hold my anxiety at bay, through aerobic exercise, no caffeine at all and drinking in very strict moderation - all of that deffo helps me massively.

Pps - Does your girlfriend know what you`re going through or have you tried to keep it hidden from her ( like most of us have ) Bottling things up and trying to hide them just increases the strain that you`re already putting yourself under.

Last edited:
To ramble for a bit about "the point of life",

I did a lot of thinking about it, partly due to OCD and partly due to challenging my own beliefs. I tend to lean toward logical thinking for my resolutions, sometimes at the risk of my own emotion and happiness (I don't recommend that, embracing the emotion is part of life - otherwise we wouldn't have been naturally fitted with emotions). I came to my conclusion that the objective point of life is very simple. Not easy, but simple. The point of life is to live. The point of a hammer is to hammer. That's the simple part. You've been given a giant shopping cart called life to fill with experiences. Are you taking advantage of that? Are you going to let a speedbump or a moment of misery dictate the rest of your days?

The not-so-easy part is finding your subjective point of life. The objective point is to live. What's your subjective point? What do you enjoy? What brings you contentment and happiness? Are you living a fulfilling life? If not, that's a simple change to make. Again, not easy. But simple.

That, and respect others' right to do the same.