Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I was never a fan. I didn't want to become dependent on a drug to make me feel 'normal'

I ignored advice and decided against it for a couple of years, started self medicating with alcohol and other things until it all came crashing down around me.

It was work that gave me the impetus to see the doctor as it had gotten to the point where if I'm not helping myself then there's not much more else they can.

Since I've started taking meds, one didn't work the other has. Even now I'm still not sure if they're a placebo. But on reflection I'm in a much better place mentally than before I started taking them.

Exercise and staying off the drink still give me the biggest lift. Sadly, despite knowing this they still are the hardest thing for me to maintain.
Thats it.. no ale drugs and plenty of exercise is the key.. but again like you say.. staying off them is easier said than done!

I can understand this mate, I won’t put words in your mouth, but I’ve alluded to similar thoughts in here previously. Each to their own and all that, it’s not an attack on those that do because I can totally get that meds can be a “useful crutch” as someone said, as in helping you get through the day, that’s certainly how my wife described it when I first met her.

However, for her (and perhaps for others) the goal / plan was to continue working towards resolving her ongoing issues (in her case, her problems with her parents and unemployment at the time), with a view to coming off the meds as quickly as possible.

Again, everyone’s journey is different so it’s not a knock to anyone doing things their own way. I just think if someone wants to avoid the meds and feels empowered to change things on their own, they should be encouraged and supported to do just that, fair play to you.

Yeh I wasn’t attacking those that use them, whatever works works, was merely curious as I know some personal friends that have been on them for years with no signs of ever coming off them. I just wasn’t sure if anyone else thought maybe staying on them forever isn’t so healthy as you’re possibly only band-aiding the issue and not properly addressing it?

I got offered meds or counselling and personally I was never going to choose the former as I didn’t want a medicine to make me feel better the same way I don’t want to say drink alcohol to make me feel better.

Yeh I wasn’t attacking those that use them, whatever works works, was merely curious as I know some personal friends that have been on them for years with no signs of ever coming off them. I just wasn’t sure if anyone else thought maybe staying on them forever isn’t so healthy as you’re possibly only band-aiding the issue and not properly addressing it?

I got offered meds or counselling and personally I was never going to choose the former as I didn’t want a medicine to make me feel better the same way I don’t want to say drink alcohol to make me feel better.

Depending on the circumstances of their illness mate, some people may need to be on them for a long time / for the rest of their life.

One of the biggest problems that health care professionals have with treating mental health is that literally no two cases are identical,

Sometimes there’s a “ starting point “ - work, relationship, something’s happened etc, other times it can just happen for no apparent reason,

With some people it can come and go for no apparent reason - “ the Black Dog “ as Churchill called it.

There’s so many misconceptions and myths surrounding anti depressants too, which doesn’t help either.

The biggest one being that they’re habit forming - they’re not.

People may have to keep taking them to help them remain “ normal “,
but that’s not the same as a dependency, it’s due to their illness that hasn’t gone away.

As you can see, it’s really complex, hence why it can be so hard to treat !

Depending on the circumstances of their illness mate, some people may need to be on them for a long time / for the rest of their life.

One of the biggest problems that health care professionals have with treating mental health is that literally no two cases are identical,

Sometimes there’s a “ starting point “ - work, relationship, something’s happened etc, other times it can just happen for no apparent reason,

With some people it can come and go for no apparent reason - “ the Black Dog “ as Churchill called it.

There’s so many misconceptions and myths surrounding anti depressants too, which doesn’t help either.

The biggest one being that they’re habit forming - they’re not.

People may have to keep taking them to help them remain “ normal “,
but that’s not the same as a dependency, it’s due to their illness that hasn’t gone away.

As you can see, it’s really complex, hence why it can be so hard to treat !

Exactly and sweeping statements should be avoided in all cases. Saying that you’re “band aiding” the real issue, whatever that may be (unemployment, family, relationship etc) does a great disservice to those who do experience “the black dog” as you said. This is clinical depression and being diagnosed generally means a different type of solution / pathway to situational depression.

Equally, inferring that situational depression is a complex disease that requires medication to overcome is also incredibly dangerous as it can (in my wife’s case) prompt a feeling of utter hopelessness and doesn’t hone in on the “long-burn” issue(s) at the root cause.

Every story is different, with it’s unique set of challenges and I wish everyone god speed in overcoming them as best they see fit.

I have been on citalopram for years now and its .....I think !! effective, able to live my life very well, although my short term memory ain't great. What's my point... yeah !!! My son and my one day son in law are struggling at times with this horrid condition yet doctors seem to always prescribe them fluoxetine?? I think ?? But they have really bad side effects, sluggishness, zombie like reflexes, bad dreams....why arnt doctors prescribing a drug with literally very few side effects...is this a pharmaceutical company money issue ??
My wife is a carer and they always used a skin cream cetroban, yet were suddenly told to use a new brand epimax. Its crap, not as good, not as absorbent yet the carers are TOLD to use this new brand because of money saving ??
I wonder if this is happening with the antidepressant prescription service...
Bloody dangerous if it is.
Anyways, great part of a terrific site this and I hope we all get the RIGHT medicine for what Ailes us. Not what they think is cheaper but meh...should do the trick.

I have been on citalopram for years now and its .....I think !! effective, able to live my life very well, although my short term memory ain't great. What's my point... yeah !!! My son and my one day son in law are struggling at times with this horrid condition yet doctors seem to always prescribe them fluoxetine?? I think ?? But they have really bad side effects, sluggishness, zombie like reflexes, bad dreams....why arnt doctors prescribing a drug with literally very few side effects...is this a pharmaceutical company money issue ??
My wife is a carer and they always used a skin cream cetroban, yet were suddenly told to use a new brand epimax. Its crap, not as good, not as absorbent yet the carers are TOLD to use this new brand because of money saving ??
Anyways, great part of a terrific site this and I hope we all get the RIGHT medicine for what Ailes us. Not what they think is cheaper but meh...should do the trick.

I’d hazard a guess that constant prescribing of fluoxetine ( prozac ) is down to a mixture of laziness and clever marketing, which made the world believe that it was a wonder drug all those years ago.

If they`re struggling with the side effects from using fluoxetine ( prozac ) they should ask to see the CPN ( Community Psychiatric Nurse ) and ask for a " medicines review " of their medication, as he / she will know more than the GP about the side effects and the best way to change meds.

I couldn't make the docs today as I had to call for paramedics to my mum...

After reading this I'm going to go back on citalopram.. Fluextine isn't doing anything for me

You ever find if you overthink it all and like you wonder what is “happy” as in like whats your set point... if that makes sense?

Like are you supposed to wake up happy and be happy all day as normal? Or are you ment to be sorta nuetral and then have moments of both happy sad etc?bit of a ramble just wondering anyone can make sense of it

I feel as though my set point is just like nothing.. im not ded sad but im wondering should i be happy which in turn can make me think abit sad..

Proper ramble forgive me just thinking out loud!

I’d hazard a guess that constant prescribing of fluoxetine ( prozac ) is down to a mixture of laziness and clever marketing, which made the world believe that it was a wonder drug all those years ago.

If they`re struggling with the side effects from using fluoxetine ( prozac ) they should ask to see the CPN ( Community Psychiatric Nurse ) and ask for a " medicines review " of their medication, as he / she will know more than the GP about the side effects and the best way to change meds.
Cheers mate, good call. Will deffo check with CPN. A joke though considering you generally trust your own Gp to make the right call.

I couldn't make the docs today as I had to call for paramedics to my mum...

After reading this I'm going to go back on citalopram.. Fluextine isn't doing anything for me
Fluoxetine...or whatever is horrid ( from what I have heard about its side effects) i cant say that citalopram will work for everyone....but it's effects just seem so much more milder than the alternatives.

You ever find if you overthink it all and like you wonder what is “happy” as in like whats your set point... if that makes sense?

Like are you supposed to wake up happy and be happy all day as normal? Or are you ment to be sorta nuetral and then have moments of both happy sad etc?bit of a ramble just wondering anyone can make sense of it

I feel as though my set point is just like nothing.. im not ded sad but im wondering should i be happy which in turn can make me think abit sad..

Proper ramble forgive me just thinking out loud!
My wife always tells me to wake up and say today's going to be ace...smile at everyone and be supportive of others....it generally works, if your nice...it reflects.. so if you try and be positive...people generally respond the same way.
It's easy really IF you can manage it. Some days I dont and I guarantee a shitty day generally follows it. My wife is an impossibly positive person, frankly it's a bloody miracle We found each other....and even more that she stayed with me through some frankly miserable times. Find one of them and life really ain't so bad x

I’d hazard a guess that they’re being prescribed flu
Fluoxetine...or whatever is horrid ( from what I have heard about its side effects) i cant say that citalopram will work for everyone....but it's effects just seem so much more milder than the alternatives.

It`s the generic name for Prozac mate.

They all have " some " side effects, that affect different people in different ways.