Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

One of hardest things, I have had to deal with is the thoughts, "I'm a Nurse I should be able to deal with this". Take off my Nurses hat so to speak. If I was talking to a patient, I'd probably say they were doing well. I have taken all the help available and worked on mindfulness etc. It isn't that easy though, my mind struggles to deal with it. Yesterday was a bad day, I'd seen Occupational health and things were feeling pretty hopeless. I couldn't see a future for my career. My pay is about to be cut by half. Obviously I'm worried about bills etc.

As @Kurt says, youre a human being first and a nurse second. The fact that you can`t handle going back to your previous job doesnt make you a weak person and its nothing to be ashamed off. We all handle things differently mate.

I suffered " burn out " due to a prolonged and sustained period of stress in one of my previous jobs, which caused depression and some serious anxiety issues.
My denial and fighting the symptoms, deffo made things worse.

When I finally accepted that I needed help and I wasnt going back to my job, it was like a weight had been lifted. I went through the whole pay thing and ended up on no pay, as I was off sick for 18mths, so I know what you mean. Its only my thoughts mate, but it doesn]t sound to me like youre ever going to go back to your previous role and its time to think about other options. Theres no shame in that at all.

As @Kurt says, youre a human being first and a nurse second. The fact that you can`t handle going back to your previous job doesnt make you a weak person and its nothing to be ashamed off. We all handle things differently mate.

I suffered " burn out " due to a prolonged and sustained period of stress in one of my previous jobs, which caused depression and some serious anxiety issues.
My denial and fighting the symptoms, deffo made things worse.

When I finally accepted that I needed help and I wasnt going back to my job, it was like a weight had been lifted. I went through the whole pay thing and ended up on no pay, as I was off sick for 18mths, so I know what you mean. Its only my thoughts mate, but it doesn]t sound to me like youre ever going to go back to your previous role and its time to think about other options. Theres no shame in that at all.
Thanks

Had a bit of good news, this morning. I have got an appointment to start CBT in a couple of weeks. Was expecting 4-6 weeks.

Hope you benefit from CBT. It’s effective for depression and anxiety. Regards the PTSD: conventional CBT is not the treatment. You’ll benefit more from either trauma-based CBT (which is different to CBT) or EMDR. Too often, the underlying PTSD is not addressed with these treatments and recurs.

As far as your long term employment is concerned - please don’t make any drastic, irreversible decisions while you’re ill...

I’d have to second this. I don’t work on a ward but in the community as a lone worker. I’ve not been attacked but have been subject to threats and abuse on more occasions than I care to remember. Horrible situations go with the territory I’m afraid.

In fairness most of those threats followed one of your jokes so you can see the connection.

One of hardest things, I have had to deal with is the thoughts, "I'm a Nurse I should be able to deal with this". Take off my Nurses hat so to speak. If I was talking to a patient, I'd probably say they were doing well. I have taken all the help available and worked on mindfulness etc. It isn't that easy though, my mind struggles to deal with it. Yesterday was a bad day, I'd seen Occupational health and things were feeling pretty hopeless. I couldn't see a future for my career. My pay is about to be cut by half. Obviously I'm worried about bills etc.
I also work in a job where people can be in physical danger, I love the work but I've seen all of my colleagues be physically harmed in some way from brusing to a broken jaw and fractured skull from a headbutt. I can assure you that nobody can deal straight away with being badly injured in work from SNA to mental health medical staff, but I can tell you that most of them do come back stronger, some take more time than others, so take your time do what you need to do and you'll get through it.. and if not there are plenty other opportunitys out there for a person of your skills and qualifications .

I also work in a job where people can be in physical danger, I love the work but I've seen all of my colleagues be physically harmed in some way from brusing to a broken jaw and fractured skull from a headbutt. I can assure you that nobody can deal straight away with being badly injured in work from SNA to mental health medical staff, but I can tell you that most of them do come back stronger, some take more time than others, so take your time do what you need to do and you'll get through it.. and if not there are plenty other opportunitys out there for a person of your skills and qualifications .
Thanks

Hope you benefit from CBT. It’s effective for depression and anxiety. Regards the PTSD: conventional CBT is not the treatment. You’ll benefit more from either trauma-based CBT (which is different to CBT) or EMDR. Too often, the underlying PTSD is not addressed with these treatments and recurs.

As far as your long term employment is concerned - please don’t make any drastic, irreversible decisions while you’re ill...
It is trauma based CBT.

Is there any chance you could move into a different area of nursing. My wife is a nurse and almost walked away from it recently. She ended up changing department and it has made all the difference.

Been for a biopsy today so I can't go the gym for next few weeks which helped me get out of my slump. I might need you lot for a little help like last time if I start dropping. At minute I feel good so I'm hoping to ride the wave and stay as I am. In the meantime if any of you need me I'm always on here so if you direct message I'll pick it up normally within a couple of hours. I love how everyone supports each other on this thread and feep part of something.

Hi just been for the follow up to my biopsy. Its indifferent news really they've diagnosed me with a rare cancer called mesothelioma. However they did this 6 years ago as they don't have a clue whats wrong really so I personally dont think it is. If they had been right 6 years ago I wouldn't be here now as its a particularly bad type of cancer so I'm hoping its the same again. They've referred me back to oncology and I'll keep you informed from there! I'm in good frame of mind so that helps I think!

Hi just been for the follow up to my biopsy. Its indifferent news really they've diagnosed me with a rare cancer called mesothelioma. However they did this 6 years ago as they don't have a clue whats wrong really so I personally dont think it is. If they had been right 6 years ago I wouldn't be here now as its a particularly bad type of cancer so I'm hoping its the same again. They've referred me back to oncology and I'll keep you informed from there! I'm in good frame of mind so that helps I think!

Got me worried then until you said it was incorrectly diagnosed before. You’re right to not worry unnecessarily. Wishing you good news again this time around. You back exercising?

Got me worried then until you said it was incorrectly diagnosed before. You’re right to not worry unnecessarily. Wishing you good news again this time around. You back exercising?

Thanks. I plan to go back Monday and all being well I start a new temporary job the following Monday. It messes with my head a bit but when they diagnosed it last time I read up on it and so much doesn't add up. My head says there must be something else there but until they decide they are wrong again there is always that nagging doubt. I've been made a priority but not really sure what that means.

Thanks. I plan to go back Monday and all being well I start a new temporary job the following Monday. It messes with my head a bit but when they diagnosed it last time I read up on it and so much doesn't add up. My head says there must be something else there but until they decide they are wrong again there is always that nagging doubt. I've been made a priority but not really sure what that means.

Have you got a Mac nurse mate, as all this and more should be getting explained to you in detail ?

Have you got a Mac nurse mate, as all this and more should be getting explained to you in detail ?

Thanks pal! Not yet. I will speak to my GP in the next week and see what they can offer. Last time it was all explained but again it didnt add up and because I got better which is the opposite of what should happen they were stumped. I mentioned this in my appointment but I think they are afraid of being accussed of not acting so they have passed me back to Oncology. I would like to say I was surprised but I've been under anaesthetic 4 times for this mystery illness and every time they come back with this. Whatever it is it certainly has them confused. My symptoms are kept at bay by steroids which ironically should make it worse so its a complete parody!!