Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Hi Guy's I'm a 46 year old bloke, that is actually a Qualified Mental Health Nurse. Last July I was on a night shift, staffing levels was pretty awful on the night. A patient (who was there for assessment and later assessed as not being mentally ill) attacked me, He jumped from behind and tried to strangle me from behind. Luckily one of my colleges managed to get to me in time. Since then I have suffered with PTSD, depression and anxiety. I've just finished a trauma stabilisation course and now am on a waiting list for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. I've been off sick more or less since it happened. I am worried about everything especially on if I can ever go back to being a Nurse. Really struggling at the moment.

Hi mate.

Surely there is no way you’ll ever be able to go back to your old job, due to what happened.

Surely there’s a duty of care that requires you’re either found another role that takes you out of that environment or you’re able to take early retirement on an ill health pension ?

Hi mate.

Surely there is no way you’ll ever be able to go back to your old job, due to what happened.

Surely there’s a duty of care that requires you’re either found another role that takes you out of that environment or you’re able to take early retirement on an ill health pension ?
Yeah but I worked so hard to be a Nurse. I could work elsewhere. Just feeling low about it.

Mate died on Friday.Found on the couch surrounded by 5 empty 5 L boxes of wine, plates and rubbish all over the place.Hid his lifestyle from everyone.He hid is depression well obviously.Took the day off today from sorting the mess out as I think it him me.I urge anyone who is suffering from depression to talk it through.You can't battle it on your own.R.I.P Steve 54 xxx
So sorry mate.

Prayers for you and Steve tonight x.

Hi Guy's I'm a 46 year old bloke, that is actually a Qualified Mental Health Nurse. Last July I was on a night shift, staffing levels was pretty awful on the night. A patient (who was there for assessment and later assessed as not being mentally ill) attacked me, He jumped from behind and tried to strangle me from behind. Luckily one of my colleges managed to get to me in time. Since then I have suffered with PTSD, depression and anxiety. I've just finished a trauma stabilisation course and now am on a waiting list for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. I've been off sick more or less since it happened. I am worried about everything especially on if I can ever go back to being a Nurse. Really struggling at the moment.

Unfortunately long waiting times for CBT seem to be quite common, but the good news is it's a very effective tool for anxiety or depression. In the meantime, there are some online resources which you could check out and which may be helpful:

See the intro text, there's some good points there. Don't let an online course stop you from getting the personal help as soon as its available. But maybe, in the meantime, there's some positive steps you can take?

All the best.

Think you need to ease yourself back into the workplace mate. Phased return which should include you working days when there's more staff around and maybe doing more office based tasks like helping out with the rotas to get you back on the ward without taking on full duties. It's very unfortunate but comes with the territory of working in Mental Health.

Think you need to ease yourself back into the workplace mate. Phased return which should include you working days when there's more staff around and maybe doing more office based tasks like helping out with the rotas to get you back on the ward without taking on full duties. It's very unfortunate but comes with the territory of working in Mental Health.
I’d have to second this. I don’t work on a ward but in the community as a lone worker. I’ve not been attacked but have been subject to threats and abuse on more occasions than I care to remember. Horrible situations go with the territory I’m afraid.

I've been assaulted loads of times, worked in PICU for 10 years. This was different, my life was in serious danger, affected me like this before. I'm not fit to work on wards at the moment. I have loads of the classic PTSD symptoms. I guess I will have to consider an admin/none clinical post while I recover.

I've been assaulted loads of times, worked in PICU for 10 years. This was different, my life was in serious danger, affected me like this before. I'm not fit to work on wards at the moment. I have loads of the classic PTSD symptoms. I guess I will have to consider an admin/none clinical post while I recover.
It’ll take time fella ... as I’m sure you know more than most .... but you will get it back ... one day at a time . Wishing you all the best.

You are a mental health nurse, so I'm just wondering, what advice would you give to someone who has had the same thing happen as happened you?

You are a mental health nurse, so I'm just wondering, what advice would you give to someone who has had the same thing happen as happened you?
One of hardest things, I have had to deal with is the thoughts, "I'm a Nurse I should be able to deal with this". Take off my Nurses hat so to speak. If I was talking to a patient, I'd probably say they were doing well. I have taken all the help available and worked on mindfulness etc. It isn't that easy though, my mind struggles to deal with it. Yesterday was a bad day, I'd seen Occupational health and things were feeling pretty hopeless. I couldn't see a future for my career. My pay is about to be cut by half. Obviously I'm worried about bills etc.

One of hardest things, I have had to deal with is the thoughts, "I'm a Nurse I should be able to deal with this". Take off my Nurses hat so to speak. If I was talking to a patient, I'd probably say they were doing well. I have taken all the help available and worked on mindfulness etc. It isn't that easy though, my mind struggles to deal with it. Yesterday was a bad day, I'd seen Occupational health and things were feeling pretty hopeless. I couldn't see a future for my career. My pay is about to be cut by half. Obviously I'm worried about bills etc.
It’s important to remember that you’re a human being before a nurse. Just because you work in this field it doesn’t make you immune mate.