Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Cheers for the advice but I'm not 100% sure that I've got a gambling addiction as such. This is the first time I've ever done anything like this. And I've terminated my gambling accounts etc.

I just feel down thinking "I'd be able to help my parents out financially if I hadn't blown that thousand quid etc."
Regret is a pointless emotion mate, as you can’t change what’s happened, you’ve blown that cash, it’s done.

What you need to ensure moving forwards is that if you’re ever tempted in again, you need to remember at the point you’re tempted, how you felt losing this money and how you’ve tortured yourself thinking about what you could have done with it. So in other words use it to ensure that you don’t rack up more losses in the future.

Most people who like a bet don’t bother adding up the £20 here or £50 there that they lose as part of their standard behaviour, console yourself that won’t be happening to you moving forwards, and within X number of months you’ll have saved the same amount of cash that you blew in a day.....so in essence you’ll have got it back....remember that....

Regret is a pointless emotion mate, as you can’t change what’s happened, you’ve blown that cash, it’s done.

What you need to ensure moving forwards is that if you’re ever tempted in again, you need to remember at the point you’re tempted, how you felt losing this money and how you’ve tortured yourself thinking about what you could have done with it. So in other words use it to ensure that you don’t rack up more losses in the future.

Most people who like a bet don’t bother adding up the £20 here or £50 there that they lose as part of their standard behaviour, console yourself that won’t be happening to you moving forwards, and within X number of months you’ll have saved the same amount of cash that you blew in a day.....so in essence you’ll have got it back....remember that....

Thanks a lot mate. I feel much better for having read that. Cheers fella.

Having a bit of a wobble today. Went out Friday night and got in at 5AM, I can remember everything and was really happy with myself. Went out last night to watch the boxing, got in at 4AM and I’ve blacked out.

My mate was doing cocaine and I’m terrified that I did it and can’t remember. I haven’t had any of that crap for ages because I’d be having full on breakdowns the day after.

I’ve been feeling good lately, I’m just trying to not let the anxiety affects of alcohol overwhelm me. Last week at Ladies Day I also blacked out and had some anxiety, but after a couple of days I managed to calm myself.

I drink so much when I go out. I must’ve easily had around 25 pints yesterday. Tomorrow I’ll be drinking because of the match and then again on Tuesday watching Liverpool.

A doctor warned me years ago that my drinking concerned him and I dismissed it because I was 19 and thought everyone that age did it.

Having a bit of a wobble today. Went out Friday night and got in at 5AM, I can remember everything and was really happy with myself. Went out last night to watch the boxing, got in at 4AM and I’ve blacked out.

My mate was doing cocaine and I’m terrified that I did it and can’t remember. I haven’t had any of that crap for ages because I’d be having full on breakdowns the day after.

I’ve been feeling good lately, I’m just trying to not let the anxiety affects of alcohol overwhelm me. Last week at Ladies Day I also blacked out and had some anxiety, but after a couple of days I managed to calm myself.

I drink so much when I go out. I must’ve easily had around 25 pints yesterday. Tomorrow I’ll be drinking because of the match and then again on Tuesday watching Liverpool.

A doctor warned me years ago that my drinking concerned him and I dismissed it because I was 19 and thought everyone that age did it.

Sorry to hear you're struggling again man! 25 pints- that's going some that. What was the key before when you were able to reduce the amount you were drinking? Do you think you could change your matchday routine a bit? I know you go with the lads, but maybe meet them a bit later and head home after the game?

Sorry to hear you're struggling again man! 25 pints- that's going some that. What was the key before when you were able to reduce the amount you were drinking? Do you think you could change your matchday routine a bit? I know you go with the lads, but maybe meet them a bit later and head home after the game?
I stopped social smoking when I went out, for some reason it used to make me feel more drunk. I’d also get water from the bar, etc after every 5 pints.

I think it was more tiredness that’s made me black out last night. I do remember getting water, but I’d only had about a two hour sleep.

I enjoy the pub of a match day, if I start changing my match routine, I’m letting the anxiety dictate my life.

Hopefully this time in a few days it isn’t even affecting me. Has been a bit of a wake-up call. The levels of binge drinking I drink to are dangerous.

What really winds me up is the bars in town. They almost force you to drink more. Ask for single vodkas and it is always “A double is cheaper” or “Double is the same price as a single”. Of course 95% of pissed people will go for the double, making them even worse! Also, the culture of going out seems to have changed. It’s like it’s encouraged by everyone to get completely off your face, if you’re not like that, you’re not doing it right. It gets people swept up.

I stopped social smoking when I went out, for some reason it used to make me feel more drunk. I’d also get water from the bar, etc after every 5 pints.

I think it was more tiredness that’s made me black out last night. I do remember getting water, but I’d only had about a two hour sleep.

I enjoy the pub of a match day, if I start changing my match routine, I’m letting the anxiety dictate my life.

Hopefully this time in a few days it isn’t even affecting me. Has been a bit of a wake-up call. The levels of binge drinking I drink to are dangerous.

What really winds me up is the bars in town. They almost force you to drink more. Ask for single vodkas and it is always “A double is cheaper” or “Double is the same price as a single”. Of course 95% of pissed people will go for the double, making them even worse! Also, the culture of going out seems to have changed. It’s like it’s encouraged by everyone to get completely off your face, if you’re not like that, you’re not doing it right. It gets people swept up.

You're right mate. When I was in uni it was still in the days of £5 all you can drink. Now it's all in the pricing and making the night out so that if you're not hammered you're not having fun. Hopefully as you say it is the tiredness making it all the worse- which it really does.

They are dangerous levels as you say. What I would say is by changing your routine you're not letting it dictate your life, but just managing what you know is damaging when times are tough. Just say because you change it up for tomorrow doesn't mean you can't enjoy your normal routine for the Southampton game y'know?

Or by maybe limiting it a tiny bit when you know you're in a tough time- giving the Liverpool game a swerve for example?

Sorry I can't be of more help. Just use the times when you're sober to the best you can and put a plan in place. Am I right in that you're mainly binging socially? In which case that's a massive help in a way, as despite how tempting it may be, by not going out all the time (nothing to stop you going out once or even twice a week) you're not putting yourself at risk so much.

Can't imagine how difficult it is, but you're still talking about it, so you want to make the change. Keep plugging away. Got in touch with any charities?

You're right mate. When I was in uni it was still in the days of £5 all you can drink. Now it's all in the pricing and making the night out so that if you're not hammered you're not having fun. Hopefully as you say it is the tiredness making it all the worse- which it really does.

They are dangerous levels as you say. What I would say is by changing your routine you're not letting it dictate your life, but just managing what you know is damaging when times are tough. Just say because you change it up for tomorrow doesn't mean you can't enjoy your normal routine for the Southampton game y'know?

Or by maybe limiting it a tiny bit when you know you're in a tough time- giving the Liverpool game a swerve for example?

Sorry I can't be of more help. Just use the times when you're sober to the best you can and put a plan in place. Am I right in that you're mainly binging socially? In which case that's a massive help in a way, as despite how tempting it may be, by not going out all the time (nothing to stop you going out once or even twice a week) you're not putting yourself at risk so much.

Can't imagine how difficult it is, but you're still talking about it, so you want to make the change. Keep plugging away. Got in touch with any charities?
https://www.ncadd.org/get-help/take-the-test/am-i-alcoholic-self-test

I just did the Alcoholic Self Test and got:

Serious Level of Alcohol Use
The results suggest you may have a serious level of alcohol-related problems requiring prompt attention and possible treatment. You should seek professional guidance.

Interesting. I would genuinely love to give up alcohol all together, but I just can’t see it ever happening. My uncle was a massive alcoholic, lost his family and died at a relatively young age. I don’t ever want to be like that.

https://www.ncadd.org/get-help/take-the-test/am-i-alcoholic-self-test

I just did the Alcoholic Self Test and got:

Serious Level of Alcohol Use
The results suggest you may have a serious level of alcohol-related problems requiring prompt attention and possible treatment. You should seek professional guidance.

Interesting. I would genuinely love to give up alcohol all together, but I just can’t see it ever happening. My uncle was a massive alcoholic, lost his family and died at a relatively young age. I don’t ever want to be like that.

It can certainly run in the family, like any illness. What may be different to your uncle though (and I could be way out so apologies if so) is that you're up for challenging it. You may never get rid of it, but you may be able to make it more manageable.

What was the last formal help you had mate? Was it the GP? If so, try some of these, please! The help you get from charities is ten-fold that you'll get through NHS, as they're not stretched to breaking point:

https://www.mind.org.uk/information...rvices/addiction-and-dependency/#.Wt0LS8gvzIU

(Self-refer to Mind, or one of the charities they mention. Mind for instance is my personal recommendation for these- they are incredible- you may be on a waiting list for a few months, but once in they'll give you time and whatever type of therapy you may need.)

It's just about giving you the tools and the power to approach things.

Do you ever feel empty and nothing ? And you question everything and even the people you like/love? Because you feel nothing suddenly, it's worrying. I don't know if it's depression or the meds or what. It's not even a down feeling I do get that sometimes but just a void. I'm on antidepressants tried to cut them down but my anxiety levels went through the roof and I was waking early mornings with panic attacks. Upped them again now but I get days where I feel nothing/emotionally blunted and I hate it. I would like to change meds but have found it damn near impossible.

Had a rough couple of days.

Keep worrying that my life is not going to pan out how in a way I'd like, I keep fretting over the future and am not sleeping well. Not sure what to do with myself and can't get my anxiety to go away. Hopefully this is just a blip that blows over.

It can certainly run in the family, like any illness. What may be different to your uncle though (and I could be way out so apologies if so) is that you're up for challenging it. You may never get rid of it, but you may be able to make it more manageable.

What was the last formal help you had mate? Was it the GP? If so, try some of these, please! The help you get from charities is ten-fold that you'll get through NHS, as they're not stretched to breaking point:

https://www.mind.org.uk/information...rvices/addiction-and-dependency/#.Wt0LS8gvzIU

(Self-refer to Mind, or one of the charities they mention. Mind for instance is my personal recommendation for these- they are incredible- you may be on a waiting list for a few months, but once in they'll give you time and whatever type of therapy you may need.)

It's just about giving you the tools and the power to approach things.
I’ve genuinely been in a really great frame of mind for quite a while now. Last went to the GP in October 2017, but I couldn’t take the Citalopram tablets I was prescribed because my work’s medical advice team deem that they would have an effect on my ability to carry out work-related duties - I’m in a safety critical role.

Still feel anxious today, but it’s went down a bit from yesterday.