Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Do you ever feel empty and nothing ? And you question everything and even the people you like/love? Because you feel nothing suddenly, it's worrying. I don't know if it's depression or the meds or what. It's not even a down feeling I do get that sometimes but just a void. I'm on antidepressants tried to cut them down but my anxiety levels went through the roof and I was waking early mornings with panic attacks. Upped them again now but I get days where I feel nothing/emotionally blunted and I hate it. I would like to change meds but have found it damn near impossible.

Hi mate.

What you describe is txt book depression - the emptiness, the feelings of " nothing ".

Anxiety and depression can go hand in hand, usually the depression comes first and then the anxiety almost slips in through the back.

You "become worried about being worried " and eventually you are worried all the time about everything, so your brain never switches off and hey ho, you have an anxiety problem too.

The reason you`re waking in the morning is two fold :

You`re brain is still switched on in worry mode > anxiety.

Due to your brain being in anxiety mode, you`re producing too much of a stress hormone called CORTISOL.

This is a chemical that`s used in the waking process, but also comes into play during periods of extreme fear / stress > fight or flight.

You`re brain is producing too much of it, due to your permanent anxious state. So when you`re starting to wake up, you`re brain is flooding your system with it, rather than gently releasing it.

The way I manage my anxiety is through exercise, cutting out all caffeine / stimulants and very moderate intake of ale ( makes it much worse ).

Exercise is wonderful for bringing anxiety levels down and also CBT works for many too. (you learn coping mechanisms )

Have a look at Cortisol and what it does.

Anxiety is very difficult to treat medically, as all the sedatives used to treat it are highly addictive.

Hope this helps mate ;)

Ps - have you told anyone close to you ?

I’ve genuinely been in a really great frame of mind for quite a while now. Last went to the GP in October 2017, but I couldn’t take the Citalopram tablets I was prescribed because my work’s medical advice team deem that they would have an effect on my ability to carry out work-related duties - I’m in a safety critical role.

Still feel anxious today, but it’s went down a bit from yesterday.

Hi mate.

Anxiety and ale, just don`t mix, as the effects of the hangover almost turbo charge it the following day.

You`re gonna have to learn how to drink in extreme moderation.

Do it in stages, slowly cut down, until you find an amount that agrees with you the following day.

Mine is now 4 pints, anything more and my anxiety is through the roof the day after.

When I was younger, I`d have drank this in the first hour.

I don`t miss drinking in large amounts at all, if anything, I enjoy it more now.

Had a rough couple of days.

Keep worrying that my life is not going to pan out how in a way I'd like, I keep fretting over the future and am not sleeping well. Not sure what to do with myself and can't get my anxiety to go away. Hopefully this is just a blip that blows over.

What you worrying about mate ?

Do you ever feel empty and nothing ? And you question everything and even the people you like/love? Because you feel nothing suddenly, it's worrying. I don't know if it's depression or the meds or what. It's not even a down feeling I do get that sometimes but just a void. I'm on antidepressants tried to cut them down but my anxiety levels went through the roof and I was waking early mornings with panic attacks. Upped them again now but I get days where I feel nothing/emotionally blunted and I hate it. I would like to change meds but have found it damn near impossible.

Last year I was waking most mornings with a rush of anxiety. It was a horrible.

As recommended by @COYBL25 I used a sleep mask. It tricks your brain into thinking it's still night so not as much cortisol is released. It really helped me.

Hi mate.

Anxiety and ale, just don`t mix, as the effects of the hangover almost turbo charge it the following day.

You`re gonna have to learn how to drink in extreme moderation.

Do it in stages, slowly cut down, until you find an amount that agrees with you the following day.

Mine is now 4 pints, anything more and my anxiety is through the roof the day after.

When I was younger, I`d have drank this in the first hour.

I don`t miss drinking in large amounts at all, if anything, I enjoy it more now.
You’re right about anxiety and alcohol not mixing. I have made efforts to try and control myself when I go out, but I think because I was out on both Friday and Saturday, I had it all hitting me at once.

I tried getting shandies and water sometimes, but it can only take one more drink to push me over the line from being alright to in a blackout. It’s the blackout paranoia that gets to me.

You’re right about anxiety and alcohol not mixing. I have made efforts to try and control myself when I go out, but I think because I was out on both Friday and Saturday, I had it all hitting me at once.

I tried getting shandies and water sometimes, but it can only take one more drink to push me over the line from being alright to in a blackout. It’s the blackout paranoia that gets to me.

If you`re out with your mates, wait until their all drunk and don`t know whose round it is anymore, then stop drinking / slow right down, as they won`t notice.

I`ve got two mates who are total monsters when it comes to ale. If I go out with them, I insist on staying by myself as I genuinely can`t keep up with them.

I took stick for ages off them, but now it`s completely normal.

It`s about changing the way you drink mate.

Last year I was waking most mornings with a rush of anxiety. It was a horrible.

As recommended by @COYBL25 I used a sleep mask. It tricks your brain into thinking it's still night so not as much cortisol is released. It really helped me.

It sounds mad, but sleep masks really do work.

I can`t sleep without one now, as I`m so used to sleeping in pitch black !

I’ve genuinely been in a really great frame of mind for quite a while now. Last went to the GP in October 2017, but I couldn’t take the Citalopram tablets I was prescribed because my work’s medical advice team deem that they would have an effect on my ability to carry out work-related duties - I’m in a safety critical role.

Still feel anxious today, but it’s went down a bit from yesterday.

Remember you saying. Horrible how careful you have to be with side effects of anti-depressants :(

I've got my fingers crossed it's just a small episode then man and I'm glad you're feeling a bit better today. Remember talking therapy can be just as good as meds, if not better for many people.

Good luck for this week :) x

It sounds mad, but sleep masks really do work.

I can`t sleep without one now, as I`m so used to sleeping in pitch black !

Sidetracking a bit here, but this goes out to others too. Was diagnosed with sleep apnoea this year, and the consultant was convinced it would help with the depression.

Been on a CPAP mask now for a fortnight, but feel just as shattered and no real change in mood (although wasn't exactly down for the past few months, just knackered.)

Anyone else been on this? Were the benefits immediate or gradual? Sorry, not mental health I know, but related to it slightly!

Had a very bad today. Forgot to take my medication and felt the impact without a doubt. Was in a pissy mood all day, was overreacting to things and snapping at people a bit. Got moved around in work so now we're sitting in different places and I've been given a rubbish spot in the centre of the room whereas someone else was allowed to pick theirs (the team leader's ex). Now I'm sat between an older lady and fella whom I have nothing in common with and have no one to talk too as the day goes on really. That has really annoyed me.

Keep burning inside, it feels like nothing is going the way I'd like it too. Very, very frustrated and restless at the moment, life just doesn't feel worth living or persevering with.

Last edited:

Had a very bad today. Forgot to take my medication and felt the impact without a doubt. Was in a pissy mood all day, was overreacting to things and snapping at people a bit. Got moved around in work so now we're sitting in different places and I've been given a rubbish spot in the centre of the room whereas someone else was allowed to pick theirs (the team leader's ex). Now I'm sat between an older lady and fella whom I have nothing in common with and have no one to talk too as the day goes on really. That has really annoyed me.

Keep burning inside, it feels like nothing is going the way I'd like it too. Very, very frustrated and restless at the moment, life just doesn't feel worth living or persevering with.

Did you end up staying in your job mate?

Yeah for now, looking for something else though. Just taking the money at the moment but the days can be difficult to get through.

Probably a wise decision as it's easier to find a new job when you're already employed.

I work in an office myself so I know the importance of having people you get on with around you.

Does your employer know your unhappy? Can you request a move?