Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Hi, been lurking in this thread for a while just wondering if anyone can give me any advice.....

Is it possible to claim ESA with depression and anxiety or would you just get knocked back, also if it is possible, does anyone know anywhere that can help with things like filling in the forms or what the Dr should put on the medical cert, that sort of stuff?

Thanks and PM me if discretion is required.

Hi, been lurking in this thread for a while just wondering if anyone can give me any advice.....

Is it possible to claim ESA with depression and anxiety or would you just get knocked back, also if it is possible, does anyone know anywhere that can help with things like filling in the forms or what the Dr should put on the medical cert, that sort of stuff?

I’ve never known anyone claim benefits for it.

Signed off work for a period yes, but I’ve never come across what you describe personally.

I’ve never known anyone claim benefits for it.

Signed off work for a period yes, but I’ve never come across what you describe personally.

Thanks for replying, had to leave my last job because of it and I've only worked for a week since Jan 2016, had no income since then and just been living off my savings from previous employment. Don't really want to claim JSA as I would be unable to keep to the 'claimant commitment'.

yes mate you can . But the dr needs to back it up.

You can mate, as it’s an illness same as any other and quite rightly is treated as such.

However just like all claims on medical grounds, you’ll need supporting evidence - your GP, any councillors that you are / have seen. In short the more professionals you can get to back your claim, the more chance you’ve got of being successful.

You’ll almost deffo be sent for a medical too.

The Citizens advice will help with filling any forms in.

Hope this helps x

That's great news mate, well done.

It's good to note how the meds can just get you to a point where you're ready to take over the recovery yourself. Like crutches for a broken leg. Everyone will respond differently & to their own timeframe, but it's great to hear when people are back on their own two feet! ;)

Thanks mate - very good post and you’re right! Everyone will get there in their own time.

My girlfriends mum receives it for depression and anxiety.

I’m not saying this to worry or put you off just to ensure you’re aware that there may be a grilling and a half thanks to our friendly neighbourhood tories!

They do ask in detail why it stops you working and you attend an interview with folk that I suspect don’t want you to get it.

Therefore I’d make sure you have a lot of reasoning and back up from GP, mental health professionals, charities (mind etc) you may have spoken to to prevent any problems or delays.

She had a sanction for a missed appointment she didn’t get a letter for and I had to go through it all and write up an appeal letter. We had to give reasons as to how she cannot work as struggles to get up and ready, really finds it tough to learn new skills and adapt to change due to social anxiety and ocd (which she has) and it’s since been sorted.

They’ve made it quite intimidating to apply I feel, but it’s there to help and support you so don’t put off applying!

Yes you can my ex wife claimed for a couple of years,she first suffered post natal depression which turned into a longer term condition.This is part of the problem,there are still people who don't see mental health issues as a "real" illness.

Yes you can. The form is an absolute b*tch to fill in and you would probably need a medical and GP report to back up your claim. When you fill the form in ( and this goes for any claim for disability benefits) fill it in as if you are having the worst day ever with whatever your condition is. Describe the unmedicated you having a truly awful day.

Unite have a section of their union called Unite In The Community - it's for people who can't work for whatever reason. Costs 50p a week. Their reps, who are all volunteers, have loads of experience helping people to claim ESA and PIP. Might be worth looking them up

Further to the other replies too, when you've completed the form, Id advise you to keep a photocopy of the lot of it and read it every now and then. When you're called to a Face to Face interview, whoever does it will be cribbing from what you've put on the form so familiarise yourself to be ready for any questions. You could get help at Citizens Advice I think regarding help with completing the form. Your Doctor will be asked about your condition so don't worry about what should be included...they must do hundreds of them. Good luck...nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Some rambling thoughts. I haven't posted in this thread at all, as while I know people very close to me who are depressed and anxious, it's not something I relate to myself, so I didn't have a horse in this race.

However, the strange thing is I have absolutely no idea if I am depressed, or if I'm just introverted. I'm one who likes to research, to understand something and I don't have hang ups on not knowing or understanding something if it means it can lead to understanding in the future - but with my own (possible) depression, I to this day simply have no clue.

If you look it up online or even read anecdotal comments on how people feel, a lot of it seems to cross over with introversion. So how do you tell the difference?

I have a good job, self-employed, do well. I'm also a big guy in that I'm physically quite imposing (I don't say that with arrogance, I just mean I'm broad-shouldered and take up space!) yet on more than one occasion I've received feedback that people are surprised that I shy away and seem to enjoy fading into the background in social situations, completely at odds with my talents and what would be expected in advance of meeting me.

I've been a contradiction in that way most of my life. I was an stage actor/singer in my teens, comfortably performing to hundreds and yet totally avoided individual or small group social situations wherever I could. I still do - I saw stage as a one way process where I could express myself and not worry about a response and 'ad libbing' a conversation - and to this day I prefer to sit at home, play video games, be involved only with my immediate family, even avoiding my mum, dad, brothers and sisters wherever possible as it takes effort to interact even with them. I'm not incapable of talking to people; I just simply don't enjoy it.

So by this I know I'm an introvert. Yet, as I've got older, I also recognise things that don't seem to fit neatly into that personality trait. I have mood swings, from feeling decent to suddenly being extremely low, with no seeming reason for it other than worrying about something with no trigger for doing so. I suddenly get racked with self-doubt professionally, with things I was doing with ease a day or two earlier suddenly not happening - staring at a screen blank instead, waiting for something to click.

I could go on, but the crux of it is that I'm confused by myself, and I don't know if I'm over-analysing and self-exaggerating. I'm not a hypochondriac - I've literally been the doctors once in half a decade. But it simultaneously feels like there can't be something wrong as I've been largely this way my entire life, yet something feels off, and I don't know and have no idea how I could know if it's actual depression or me becoming more self-aware of how being introverted doesn't tally with how society expects you to behave and thus getting 'bummed out' by that.

So anyway, as said, a ramble more than anything. Not sure there is an answer to it but that's my reason for posting, as I can't be the only one inherently confused by just how fuzzy the definitions of it are and how misdiagnosis feels like a strong possibility.

Oh, and any offence caused by the above is completely unintentional. In no way do I mean to demean the condition; as said, there are people I closely know who are easily diagnosed with it. I'm not even afraid of being confirmed as depressed myself; I just wish I knew a way to know for sure I am.

Some rambling thoughts. I haven't posted in this thread at all, as while I know people very close to me who are depressed and anxious, it's not something I relate to myself, so I didn't have a horse in this race.

However, the strange thing is I have absolutely no idea if I am depressed, or if I'm just introverted. I'm one who likes to research, to understand something and I don't have hang ups on not knowing or understanding something if it means it can lead to understanding in the future - but with my own (possible) depression, I to this day simply have no clue.

If you look it up online or even read anecdotal comments on how people feel, a lot of it seems to cross over with introversion. So how do you tell the difference?

I have a good job, self-employed, do well. I'm also a big guy in that I'm physically quite imposing (I don't say that with arrogance, I just mean I'm broad-shouldered and take up space!) yet on more than one occasion I've received feedback that people are surprised that I shy away and seem to enjoy fading into the background in social situations, completely at odds with my talents and what would be expected in advance of meeting me.

I've been a contradiction in that way most of my life. I was an stage actor/singer in my teens, comfortably performing to hundreds and yet totally avoided individual or small group social situations wherever I could. I still do - I saw stage as a one way process where I could express myself and not worry about a response and 'ad libbing' a conversation - and to this day I prefer to sit at home, play video games, be involved only with my immediate family, even avoiding my mum, dad, brothers and sisters wherever possible as it takes effort to interact even with them. I'm not incapable of talking to people; I just simply don't enjoy it.

So by this I know I'm an introvert. Yet, as I've got older, I also recognise things that don't seem to fit neatly into that personality trait. I have mood swings, from feeling decent to suddenly being extremely low, with no seeming reason for it other than worrying about something with no trigger for doing so. I suddenly get racked with self-doubt professionally, with things I was doing with ease a day or two earlier suddenly not happening - staring at a screen blank instead, waiting for something to click.

I could go on, but the crux of it is that I'm confused by myself, and I don't know if I'm over-analysing and self-exaggerating. I'm not a hypochondriac - I've literally been the doctors once in half a decade. But it simultaneously feels like there can't be something wrong as I've been largely this way my entire life, yet something feels off, and I don't know and have no idea how I could know if it's actual depression or me becoming more self-aware of how being introverted doesn't tally with how society expects you to behave and thus getting 'bummed out' by that.

So anyway, as said, a ramble more than anything. Not sure there is an answer to it but that's my reason for posting, as I can't be the only one inherently confused by just how fuzzy the definitions of it are and how misdiagnosis feels like a strong possibility.

Oh, and any offence caused by the above is completely unintentional. In no way do I mean to demean the condition; as said, there are people I closely know who are easily diagnosed with it. I'm not even afraid of being confirmed as depressed myself; I just wish I knew a way to know for sure I am.
From what you`ve written there mate, the key sentence that jumps out is :

" I have mood swings, from feeling decent to suddenly being extremely low, with no seeming reason for it ,other than worrying about something with no trigger for doing so ".

Depression can creep in slowly with it you realising what`s happening, subtle little changes, like not enjoying things you previously enjoyed, finding excuses to avoid social events, lack of energy, intolerance of others, lack of appetite, sleeping more / less.

Once you realise that somethings wrong, you then become worried and the worry can take over - anxiety.

A lot of people ( myself included all those years ago ) then go into denial and try to fight it and hide it - which eventually makes it worse.

Forgive me if I sound intrusive, as I don`t mean to be :

How long have you felt like this ?

How long do the episodes last for ?

How often does it happen ?

Any external factors that you think may be the cause ?

It could just be a "blip" as non of us feel great all the time ?.

There`s a tick box test for depression, ( can`t remember it`s name ) but this is quite a good guide and used as a starting point by Health Care Professionals - you should be able to find it online.

Hope this helps mate x

I can empathise with this completely, I have a similar personality to that you described.

You mention that depression can be easily mis-diagnosed and I have to say my experience is that it definitely can be. I was diagnosed with depression a few years ago, given medication and sent for counselling. I completely believed that I was 'suffering from depression' in the sense that I had an illness, but in hindsight I'm sure I was just 'depressed' in the sense that I was having a bad time of it. I didn't take the medication I was prescribed because I was scared to, and counselling sessions took forever to be organised so I never went. This was because by the time I got the letter confirming them, I felt OK again, and have never since felt like I did then. At the time my mum had a terminal illness, I'd given up University to help look after her and was stuck in a dead end part time job earning a pittance, was living at home again, had split up with a girl and had no time to meet anyone new. It was no wonder I was depressed, but it was circumstantial not an illness. My mum passed away, I grieved and then got on with my life, went back to Uni etc. It scares me how quick the doctor was to tell me I was suffering from an illness and needed pills when the last 9 years tell me that i'm just a slightly introverted character who was having a bad time of it for a few months.

I want to be very clear here that I'm not suggesting depression or anxiety are not real. They most certainly are, and people close to me really suffer from them. That's one of the reasons why i'm so sure I didn't/don't suffer from depression myself, the way I see some people crippled by mental anguish tells me that I don't have anything like the same condition. Personally, I hate the way that internet memes etc have reduced something like anxiety to a case of 'do you hate it when people laugh at you? do you find it really difficult to walk into a room full of strangers and start chatting to them all? do you sometimes doubt you're doing the right thing? you've probably got anxiety' when actually everybody feels like that at times.

Please nobody take me saying I didn't take my prescription and was fine as a suggestion that you should do the same. These conditions are real and I know that medication can help sufferers immeasurably. I'm simply regaling my own experience, not trying to demean or diagnose anybody else.